PDA

View Full Version : Game Locks due to CPU getting too Hot

Gman0245
03-08-2005, 03:59 PM
I have the Abit AV8 mobo with the socket939 with the AMD-64bit processor. It's a hot fast machine with 1G of fast ram.

The cpu has the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu.

But the motherboard reads 75C when the game is running for a short time and this shuts the game down.

I have the eVGA 6600GT AGP video board with it's own heatsink and fan.

Anyone else have this setup and similar problems.

If I need a better heatsink and fan, why didn't AMD supply it. Or is this mobo giving wron temperatures and that is shutting down the game.

If the cpu is that hot, it will shutdown by itself.

VFS-22_SPaRX
03-08-2005, 04:05 PM
You might need to reseat the HeatSink and fan on the CPU. Did you use the supplied thermal compound that was already on the HS? If you did, get some thermal compound and put it on yourself. Bestbuys sells it as does just about any other computer shop. AMD64s do run considerably cooler then previous cpus. Check your airflow as well. Make sure there is a good amount of fresh air being sucked into the Case.

441Spyder
03-08-2005, 05:00 PM
i have a 64 3200+ and it runs at 38 at idle and 44 under full load
you need to be sure you have enough intake and exhaust fans on your case
i have a 120mm intake on the front
a 80mm intake on the side
2 X 80mm ehaust on the back near the CPU
a dual fan 460 watt PSU that also takes some heat away from the CPU
what i have listed aboue is really the basics of what you need for cooling to keep you CPU where it needs to be also some cases do run hotter than others you may want to look into a new case to be sure you have good air flow to keep everything cool
hope this helps you out
Spyder Out

VW-IceFire
03-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Thats way too hot for operations of any game. FB/AEP/PF are good burn through applications because they test the limist of the machine...but if you're pushing the limits like you are then your CPU life is going to be much lower than it should be.

Time to take some steps. Better heatsink, re-apply thermal paste, have a look at proper ventilation in your case...all of these things need doing.

441Spyder
03-08-2005, 05:26 PM
ice
it could be as simple as just not enough coolong in the case

if he is going to redo the heatsink compound then he should get the propper compound block that AMD uses for warentee sake and he should be able to order or just buy it from any of the local PC shops
when he removes the heatsink he must be sure to remove all the old cpmpound from the CPU and the heatsink or it won't work properly then he'll be right back at square 1

Slick750
03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Might be an adjustable shut down in the bios...but 75 celcius is hot, like the guy above said, reseat the cooler, make sure the fan works, use quality thermal compound...and check if other games or intensive program causes the shut down, I had a 9600pro that kept crashing playing FB, tried a **** load of drivers, formats, ect. so I blamed heat...never crashed since I sold it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

drose01
03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
I use a Zalman 7000cu heatsink fan for my Athlon64 3000 system and run around 48-49 C even at full load in il2 and other background apps. Plus its silent! An excellent investment.

sc1949
03-09-2005, 12:09 AM
There's also a Zalman 7500cu heatsink, now, its bigger, so you'd need to check if it fits. Do a google on it, gets good writeups.

atomicali
03-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Well I have exactly the same mobo with the 3500cpu.
I am using the gigabyte rocket 3d cooler pro in an Amacrox venticase.
See
http://www.amacrox.com/04english/p-Venticase.htm
Now while it is a cool case and the heatsink is very good, I do not think it is so good that my cpu would be running below ambient, as reported cpu temps are hovering around 15 to 25 degrees centigrade.
So there may be a problem with the temp monitors in these motherboards.
First up I would be making sure the heatsink has thermal paste or a thermal pad on it and it is seated properly. Then check the fan speed.
If all that is fine then take the side of your case and point a desk fan in there. If you get a much lower temp then get some case fans. If temps stay the same then place a finger near the base of the heatsink. If you get burnt then temps are to high. If the heatsink is only warm then it is most likely a temp monitoring prob. The easiest way to fix that is to just up the shutdown and alarm temps in the bios.

JunkoIfurita
03-09-2005, 02:28 AM
With a temperature of 50-55 degrees, I might believe it's just old/hardened thermal compound.

But a temperature of 75 degree Centigrade? No way! Either you're getting NO exhaust (are your vents covered) or the CPU fan is Kaput. I know this seems a dumb question, but...have you run the computer with the case open to check whether your CPU or Power Supply fan is running?

----

NAFP_supah
03-09-2005, 03:36 AM
Also checking for dust on all heat sinks and fans is never a bad idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tobus75
03-09-2005, 04:58 AM
The case needs better cooling I think. CPU-cooler alone is not the problem, if the case is filled with hot air, your cpu-cooler works as a blowdryer.

Cess-SGTRoc
03-09-2005, 06:38 AM
ON my machine a 3.6 Intel and the ones I build, like the AMD 3400 and up, I will mod the case and put one fan moving air outward in the top of the case.
Then on the side and on the rear inside of the case I will put all fans moving air inward into the case.
Also on the punch grating on the case I will cut out the holes and make one large hole to fit the fan, if you do this you will move large amounts of air and not over heat.
The new cases are not good enough in air movement to keep the new processers cool.
Try moding you case and put in more fans, but the main one is the outbound fan on the top, that is the one that will help the most.

Reschke
03-09-2005, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cess-SGTRoc:
The new cases are not good enough in air movement to keep the new processers cool. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really true 100% but in many of the low end cases you get this problem. With my Chieftec Dragon Extreme Gamer Case it has outstanding cooling for my Athlon64 3200+ based system.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cess-SGTRoc:
Try moding you case and put in more fans, but the main one is the outbound fan on the top, that is the one that will help the most. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been wanting to try that as well but haven't gotten the balls up to take everything apart and possibly butcher my system.

You may also want to go for rounded cables for all your devices if you haven't done so already. They really help by not restricting airflow in the case.

DRB_Hookech0
03-09-2005, 03:47 PM
this past weekend I just built a AMD 64 3500+ system on a ASUS A8N SLI Delux Mobo, with 2 gig of Corsair 3200XLPRO (2 matched pairs) and a ASUS 6800GT 256 vid card.

I was worried about heat so I went with all round cables for the IDE and floppys to improve airflow. Also if you can I'd suggest going to SATA for your drives, as the cables are much smaller thus improving air flow even more. If your HDs are not SATA, you can get a plug in chip for the back of them that will convert them to SATA, this will clean up the box a bit (no more huge ribbon cable) and make them much faster in data flow.

I have an Enermax case, so I added 2 80mm fans to the back for intake, 1 120mm fan to the front for intake, and 1 80mm fan to the case side for exhust and a fan to the case top for exhaust. My PSU has 3 fans all for exhust. So far my CPU at load (in IL2FB and FS9 is all I have tested) is running 39-41C and 30C at rest.