View Full Version : SOUND DISPLAY ERROR: Error #21

jimmyleg
10-16-2004, 05:11 AM
SOUND DISPLAY ERROR: Error #21

Filename: \Myst4\dev\common\src\m4\dare_ext\error.cpp
LineNo: 26

Press "Retry" to debug

-----------------

The game has been performing fine until this. I am returning to the Spider chair in Spire after visiting the little lab over the rock bridge. When I push the blue button on the chair, this error occurs. Every combination of pushing the error dialog's buttons results in game termination.

I have screen shot and configurator says I'm fine.

I am unavailable to respond for a couple of weeks, but thought I's get this in the forum.

Thanks for any suggestions, as the game is pretty much over here in Spire.

maztec
10-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Send an error report to Ubi.

elsyw
10-17-2004, 03:35 AM
I forwarded an error report on the 14th of october and have not received any answer yet. Since so many of us are "trapped" on Spire, and the first report of this error seemed to be posted on the 5th of October, it puzzles me that there is no solution to this error yet. Even if you can play elsewhere, for my part Serenia, you can't bild this on your prior game, and that is of cource very annoying. Have any of you received an answer - please let us know!

maztec
10-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Good to hear you sent in a rpeort. When the first patch comes out (soon I hope) let us know if it fixes this issue?

BodaMae
10-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi All!
I had the same error and did the following to get rid of it.

1. Delete the "auto save" game and any other saved game that you may have made near the same point (near the harmonic table)
(I kept a saved game at the point before you go down in the chair)
2. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game (it asks if you want to keep saved game files- click yes)

It worked for me. I hope it works for the rest of you.

BodaMae

BodaMae
10-19-2004, 06:03 PM

1. Delete the "auto save" game and any other saved game that you may have made near the same point (near the harmonic table)
2. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game (it asks if you want to keep saved game files- click yes)

It worked for me. I hope it works for the rest of you.

BodaMae

BodaMae
10-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi All!

It worked for me. I hope it works for

BodaMae
10-19-2004, 10:37 PM
I should append my fix. Mea Culpa.
After reinstalling the game, and starting, the "books" icons wouldn't let me start the game. It's a faulty icon. Delete it and make a new one from the program files.
Start>programs>UBisoft>MystIV (right click) Send to > Desktop.

All the best. BodaMae

jimmyleg
10-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Man, you mean BodaMae's work-around is the only one discovered for this? I am reluctant to try that, as I've had bad experiences re-installing games in play. Any new suggestions?

Thanks.

Debralynne
10-28-2004, 12:00 PM
I had exactly the same error...but finally managed to get past it after updating my soundcard driver (again) and re-installing the game. It seems that the re-install only allowed me to go through the sequence ONCE crash-free though, so make sure you are doing everything correctly to solve the puzzle. (Luckily, I saved the game just afterthe sequence...but for kicks, I went back to the previous saved game and tried it again -- it immediately crashed to the desktop.)

jimmyleg
10-28-2004, 02:10 PM
I received this response from UBI:

Your system looks fine. It seems this may be a bug some people are running into. You can either use the work-around posted on the forum, or you can wait until the patch comes out for this game, which should be later this week or next week. It may resolve this issue for you.

kellockm
11-04-2004, 12:29 PM
I also received this error message but much earlier in the game. The game froze often, but if the music did just cut out, I sometimes received the message. Installing the patch let me get past the introduction but did not eliminate the problems.

I have been playing the game for half a day now without interruption instead of 0 to 10 minutes at a time, after:

1. manually setting the number of audible voices in DARE.INI from 20 to 16. (Hopefully that won't affect any clues. When setting it down to 12 the game would not launch.)
2. reducing the music frequency in the MystIV game options menu to the minimum - 10. (Being able to turn it off altogether would be helpful, with just the sound for the conversation clips and the regular game sounds.)
3. setting the video hardware accelerator down a notch in windows display panel and also reducing Direct 3D and OpenGL texture and bitmap quality. (One notch away from 'quality' still some video/sound interruptions, two notches everything mostly runs smoothly. Had to reduce texture quality in URU game menu, so I guess the same adjustments have to be made for MystIV.)
4. leaving special video effects in the game options menu off.
5. uninstalling the latest ATI drivers (Radeon 9200) and installing the drivers on the disk. (This did not seem to change anything, but who knows. May try uninstalling and using the latest drivers again at some point. I need them for another game where sound stops unexpectedly unless I'm using the latest drivers.)
6. enabling and using the onboard SIS card. (Suspect this did not change anything, same symptoms as the Audigy 2 ZS until the 1st four changes were made. Will test with the Audigy later - the game works now and am going to take some time to enjoy it.)
7. uninstalling the DVD-minimum version and reinstalling the complete game was the 1st thing I did (after cleaning up a bunch of space on my drive) since I originally installed it with a DVD that had to be replaced. No noticable difference in performance.

I am running an AMD Duron 1.2 using Win98SE. The game configurator advised me my machine was compatible after going back to the previous ATI drivers for this OS. I believe all of the first four items seem to be needed to have the game run on my machine. When I run special effects or increase the other settings the intermittent sound crackling or video pause returns which tells me the machine will be freezing any time soon.

My URU experience taught me to turn my machine off (at the back) overnight, run regular error checks after freezes, and just as a good measure, defrag now and then. Oh yes, I also turn off all but very basic windows background programs, including card utilities, virus & adware guards, and unplug the Lan cable to avoid access to my local printer.

Hope my tips will help some frustrated MystIV players.