PDA

View Full Version : German Fw-189 Postcard from WWII, 2 big pics

CowboyTodd41
10-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi guys, I was helping my Grandpa move today and I saw this postcard in some of his things he found in a bombed out house when he was in Germany during WWII, btw he was a radio direction finder operator in the USAAF 9th Air Force. Anyway, it's a postcard with a Fw-189 on the front, and a standard postcard format with a hand written message on the back, unfortunately the handwriting doesn't show up too well since it's 60 pencil writing. I played with the brightness/contrast to make it as good as I good get. I was hoping that someone could translate the german text on the back as well. I thought it would make a good discussion piece. Here's the pics...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/676/189f9ab.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7854/189b4sf.jpg

Badsight.
10-17-2005, 11:14 PM
hello CowboyTodd41 , nice pics! . not OT at all for FB's General Discussion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Owlsphone
10-17-2005, 11:58 PM
I want to know what it says on the back.

CowboyTodd41
10-18-2005, 01:11 AM
So do I lol, it's 60 year old german in cursive, I'll try to write it down, but for now...I've got nothing.

Waldo.Pepper
10-18-2005, 04:08 AM
Oh please.

What do you think it says? It says what all postcards say: "Having a wonderful time. Wish you were here."

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Low_Flyer_MkII
10-18-2005, 04:25 AM
It says: "Hi guys, been flying this plane for two days now and have a few questions for regarding complex engine management and locked tail wheels...."

KIMURA
10-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Owlsphone:
I want to know what it says on the back.

The hand written stuff is badly to read due to fading out and cacography.

upper left text: "FW189, short range recco of type FW189 while on duty flight."
lower left text:"German postcard album, page 2, "Luftwaffe in duty". Photo: Willi Ruge"

KIMURA
10-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Here a try of reading the faded out stuff:

"Lieber Heinz(or similar) xy
Da ihr mir nicht schreibt, so will ich Euch schreiben. Geht es Euch gut? .........??.....komme ich auch zu einem Besuch, nach Prommeln. Für...????
Grüsst Euch Walter."

"Dear Heini (or similar)
though you're not writing me, so I'll write to you(plural). How are you(plural)? ....???.... come to visit you at Pommeln. For....(reason)??
best wishes Walter."

Atzebrueck
10-18-2005, 04:54 AM
Lieber Heinz, Euer (?) ??? in ???
Da Ihr mir nicht (?) schreibt,
so will ich euch schreiben. Mir
geht es ??? gut. ??? (name)
komme ich mich zu ??? ???
nach (town) für heute
Grüßt Euch (name)

As Kimura said, it's very hard to read.
But as far as I understand, it's something like
"Dear Heinz, ???
Because you haven't written me, I'm writing to you. I'm fine. I'm going to ??? for today(?)
Greetings Walter"

plumps_
10-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Another try.

Address:

Ogfr.
Heini Fromm (?)
2./13. MK. (?)
Bug auf Rügen
Par. (?) 12. III. Zug

A miltary historian will find out whether I've read this correctly and what kind of unit that is. "III. Zug" is 3rd platoon. "Bug auf Rügen" is a peninsula on the German island Rügen in the baltic sea. There was an airbase and seaplane base from ~1935 - 45. "Ogfr." is the military rank Obergefreiter, which is equivalent to PFC or Lance Corporal.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Lieber Heini, [E... ...]

Da Ihr mir nicht schreibt,
so will ich euch schreiben. Mir
geht es noch gut. Im Januar
komme ich auch zu den B.
nach Pommeln. Für heute, (?)
Grüßt euch Walter</pre>

Dear Heini, [...]
as you [plural] haven't written to me I'll be going to write to you. I'm still doing fine. In January I'll also come to [= be posted to?] the [plural] B. in Pommeln. For today (?), Greetings Walter

I'd guess that "B." is some kind of military unit he'll be posted to. But that's pure speculation, could be anything.

BelaLvgosi
10-18-2005, 12:37 PM
It reads:

"I can't aim with German planes, cross-hairs aren't centred in reticle dimmer as in allied ones"

On a more serious note, thanks for the nice pics!

CowboyTodd41
10-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow, thanks guys! I'm actually getting ready to take this to my old high school German teacher to see if she can read the handwriting. And knowing all of the military abbreviations in advance will certainly help us out in deciphering it.

airjunkie
10-19-2005, 12:12 AM
This plane needs a cockpit

dazza9806482
10-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Absolutely, ive always loved the 189...

i reckon it would be pretty spectacular with all the glass