PDA

View Full Version : Fly Boys by J. Bradley

ploughman
01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Fly Boys (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316105848/qid=1138309965/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1_1/026-6257547-4041245)

I just finished reading this stimulating and eye opening book about the Pacific air war. I would recommend it as a read that sets the conflict in context and helps the reader to understand the approach of the Japanese and the inevitability and nature of their terrible defeat during the Second World War. It is, ultimately, about how the two sides viewed eached other, and more specifically, about how the Japanese 'Spirit Warrior' ethos moulded the outlook of the Japanese people and military, and ensured the brutal nature of the war in the Pacific. It's quite harrowing at times and the author doesn't pull any punches when it comes to US history either. He's the author of Flags of our Fathers, his dad was one of the guys who planted the flag on Mt. Surabachi on Iwo Jima apparrently.

ploughman
01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Fly Boys (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316105848/qid=1138309965/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1_1/026-6257547-4041245)

I just finished reading this stimulating and eye opening book about the Pacific air war. I would recommend it as a read that sets the conflict in context and helps the reader to understand the approach of the Japanese and the inevitability and nature of their terrible defeat during the Second World War. It is, ultimately, about how the two sides viewed eached other, and more specifically, about how the Japanese 'Spirit Warrior' ethos moulded the outlook of the Japanese people and military, and ensured the brutal nature of the war in the Pacific. It's quite harrowing at times and the author doesn't pull any punches when it comes to US history either. He's the author of Flags of our Fathers, his dad was one of the guys who planted the flag on Mt. Surabachi on Iwo Jima apparrently.

lbhskier37
01-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Indeed its an excellent book. I got it right away when it came out mainly because Bradley was from my hometown (the flagraiser bradley). Was a very interesting book, as good as Flags of our Fathers I felt.

ytareh
01-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes this was a great read.But for the second time in less than a week I find myself describing books which turn out to be totally different to what I had expected (had been described ?)(The other was "Tail End Charlies" a book with very little REALLY related directly to tail gunners)
Anyway the book sells like a mystery/conspiracy/cover up based around the fact that George Bush Snr was the only survivor of 6 aircrew who were downed over Chichi Jima.And a broad look at the Pacific air war.At least thats how it seemed to me ....
In fact there are many large themes within the book not least of which is a (not so)mini history of Japan over the last 500 yrs or so.The early trade/links with the West ,Samurai Code,Bombing policy of USAAF on Japan,Homefront in US and Japan,Doolittle Raid,Atrocities on both sides,Rape of Nanking , etc etc etc.
The author writes in a very balanced way which is commendable.What really stands out from the book though is the horrific treatment of prisoners by the Japanese .There are very graphic descriptions of cannibalism which will stay with the reader long afterwards.
All in all a must read (for adults!)but maybe not what you expected!

Dizz_
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Agreed. I read it a few weeks ago and IMO it's essential reading to better understand the feelings and actions on both sides. An eye opener for sure.

Saunders1953
01-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Yes, this is definitely a very good read.

Next up for you, ytareh, is "Blossoms in the Wind" all about the kamikaze program. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I forget the author's name at the moment, but it's an excellent insight into that whole program by survivors--those who never got orders for that final flight or otherwise trained for it from all angles--regular planes, ohkas, kaitens, and suicide boats--and survived. It also goes into the cultural background of Bushido and discusses the "Death of 100 Million" plan, where every man, woman and child would have become suicide warriors for the good of the country. Had we invaded Japan, what a death toll there would have been on both sides!

Mind boggling to contemplate.