PDA

View Full Version : SH III on a new PC

flanyboy5
11-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I just purchased a Phenom II AMD Quad core computer with 8 gigs of ram and Windows 64 bit. I have a copy of Silent Hunter III on DVD which I purchased awhile back and am somewhat concerned by this thread and some other findings on the internet. The computer is scheduled to arrive later today and I don't want to ruin the pc by installing a game which could cause a BSOD but I really love this game and my laptop was always very lagy and I would love to be able to play this game on my new PC. I will be honest I am a bit confused about a few things.

First how can you install direct x9 on a system when direct x11 is the principle software for the system? Can you have two versions of Direct X on a system?

Second, Star-force, How do I locate it? Is that the software that requires you to enter in the CD Key every time you play the game or is it something different because I never remember granting my laptop permission to install it.

Third does anyone have any advice on me installing Silent Hunter 3 on a completely new PC that might prevent some of the headache that people have run into with Win 7?

Also somewhat unrelated but does anyone know if a ATI Radeon 4200 will run SH 4 or SH 5 even at reduced settings? I would expect it to work terribly great but my 5 year old integrated graphics card on my laptop actually ran SH 3 reasonably well when SH 3 was new so I wasn't sure if my new pc would run either of the newer games.

flanyboy5
12-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Found some other info on this site that at least got the game running. So far so good, no CTD but I was still wondering about the SH 4,5 question.

Mittelwaechter
12-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Hi flanyboy5,

great you've got your game running without problems on your new PC. And great you did some research on the installation problem here aboard to solve it by yourself. Respect http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

DX9 doesn't overwrite any DX11 files and coexists harmless on your DX11 PC. Maybe you have an actualized DX11 version containing all of the older DX9c data? We'll see soon.

If you have no StarForce trouble your copy is not starforced at all. The first years they only sold protected versions but with Vista in the tube they didn't buy the actualized StarForce licence and gave up on it.

Your ATI Radeon 4200 should run SH4 but I can't tell you about SH5 - I didn't buy it. The conditions and requirements didn't match my basic notion.

I wonder about your question - do you have an ATI 4200 shared memory graphics solution with your new PC? The chip supports DX10.1 but not DX11.