PDA

View Full Version : Trim

gdfo
09-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Some planes seem easy to trim out some do not.

I do not understand how some of you play with some of the Axis planes with out hurting your wrists. What is the technique.

I have trim assigned to 2 wheels on an X-52,elavator and rudder. I have the twist rudder on the throttle. It is not very much fun and does not make sense that I have to fly with my wrist cocked to the right all the time in many axis planes.

How to you do it?

Brain32
09-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Both Me109 and FW190 are trimmed "on the ground", basically they are trimmed at cruise speed which kicks in at about 400kmh. If you want to fly faster or slower you better get used to it, they are planes for real man to loose a war in...

p1ngu666
09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
only those with all axis trim, trim well. with rudder trim u often end up flying sideways http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
MANY planes only have rudder trim, because that was sufficent...

Hanglands
09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
IIRC there is a correct order to trim out the controls. All I can really remember is that the trim for take-off and the trim for landing is different. Im sure someone else here knows the details.

I do like longer missions and so trim can be quite important to me. I did a D/F map on Ubi gaming zone with two close airbases for the dog fight fans, and two far apart bomber bases with industrial complexes that were 45 to 55 minutes flying time apart (including climb to 3.5km). On this map I generally flew ju88 and He111. (Suffice to say the longer run was not at all popular).

My conclusion from this sort of flying was that trim is not an absolute, it still requires occasional adjustment, its just far less frequent than flying 100% manually.

One interesting aspect of achieving straight and level flight that I never really considered before in a twin engine aircraft was that sometimes its more convienient to drop one engines throttle setting by 1% than to change the rudder or aileron trim by one increment.

You could of course hit the 'auto-level' key, but thats no fun.

Regards.

BuzzU
09-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by gdfo:

I do not understand how some of you play with some of the Axis planes with out hurting your wrists. What is the technique.

I have trim assigned to 2 wheels on an X-52,elavator and rudder. I have the twist rudder on the throttle. It is not very much fun and does not make sense that I have to fly with my wrist cocked to the right all the time in many axis planes.

How to you do it?

A good reason to get rudder pedals. My legs never get tired.

Tully__
09-15-2006, 07:01 AM
What Brain32 said. Bf109 and Fw190 don't have in flight rudder or aileron trim adjustment but should fly straight and wings level at cruise power and speed.

R988z
09-15-2006, 07:34 AM
I do not understand how some of you play with some of the Axis planes with out hurting your wrists.

Try a Yak sometime, Russians know how to do physical punishment better than those nancy Germans with their automatic everything http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

triggerhappyfin
09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Brain32:
Both Me109 and FW190 are trimmed "on the ground", basically they are trimmed at cruise speed which kicks in at about 400kmh. If you want to fly faster or slower you better get used to it, they are planes for real man to loose a war in...

These planes need pedals, In low speed one has to step on the pedal in order to fly straight.

Chuck_Older
09-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BuzzU:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gdfo:

How to you do it?

A good reason to get rudder pedals. My legs never get tired. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, Buzz is still around http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BuzzU
09-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BuzzU:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gdfo:

How to you do it?

A good reason to get rudder pedals. My legs never get tired. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, Buzz is still around http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought you got rid of me eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif