PDA

View Full Version : Mods

Segwin
03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
I see that posting links to mods is not allowed. Why is that? Are they hacks of the code or something akin to that? If not, did the creator of IL2 program it so that end users could mod it?

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
That's a complicated question actually. Originally the code of the game was locked and only the developer could add to it. A few years ago now the code was hacked and mods were created. The was a huge controversy and an argument on the internet akin to a schism of the il2 community. As time passed and the smoke cleared it turns out that through the efforts of the community the mods are mostly well intentioned enhancements and not the source of rampant cheating and UFO planes that it was believed it would be. Because mods are a fact of life in the game it is allowed to be discussed here, but because this is the official forum of the publisher we decided it was not appropriate to offer direct links mods which technically violate the EULA my modifying the locked code. Does that make sense?

Segwin
03-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
That's a complicated question actually. Originally the code of the game was locked and only the developer could add to it. A few years ago now the code was hacked and mods were created. The was a huge controversy and an argument on the internet akin to a schism of the il2 community. As time passed and the smoke cleared it turns out that through the efforts of the community the mods are mostly well intentioned enhancements and not the source of rampant cheating and UFO planes that it was believed it would be. Because mods are a fact of life in the game it is allowed to be discussed here, but because this is the official forum of the publisher we decided it was not appropriate to offer direct links mods which technically violate the EULA my modifying the locked code. Does that make sense?

Yes sir, thanks for the explanation.