PDA

View Full Version : engine management

tigertoo
02-18-2006, 09:06 AM
S! all.
This concerns "pitch" "boost or WEP" "radiator or cowling flaps" and "mixture"
imho, in real life on uses them as follows:

-Pitch: Full in take off,landing and in combat.Decrease in cruise speed.
-Boost:never needed in take off, only in combat for emergency power
-Radiator:fully open in take off and landing.A bit opened during cruise and closed during combat
-Mixture: only needed above a certain altitude, when the air becomes less dense

Two questions:
1)are the above statements correct???
2)how are those 4 items implemented in our game???

(for example and i could be wrong :
-i know ingame one recommends +/-70% pitch when 65% power is on:but is the speed really affected by this?
-i see no real differece in engine behaviour and speed when using the radiator,
- idem for mixture apart from some black smoke when implemented at too low an altitude)

Many thanx for reading this and for your reactions
Tigertooo
http://tangmerepilots.co.uk/

tigertoo
02-18-2006, 09:06 AM
S! all.
This concerns "pitch" "boost or WEP" "radiator or cowling flaps" and "mixture"
imho, in real life on uses them as follows:

-Pitch: Full in take off,landing and in combat.Decrease in cruise speed.
-Boost:never needed in take off, only in combat for emergency power
-Radiator:fully open in take off and landing.A bit opened during cruise and closed during combat
-Mixture: only needed above a certain altitude, when the air becomes less dense

Two questions:
1)are the above statements correct???
2)how are those 4 items implemented in our game???

(for example and i could be wrong :
-i know ingame one recommends +/-70% pitch when 65% power is on:but is the speed really affected by this?
-i see no real differece in engine behaviour and speed when using the radiator,
- idem for mixture apart from some black smoke when implemented at too low an altitude)

Many thanx for reading this and for your reactions
Tigertooo
http://tangmerepilots.co.uk/

Chuck_Older
02-18-2006, 09:21 AM
You're at worst close to the mark

prop pitch is implemented to various ways in the sim, based on the type of prop the planes had. Some had more of an rpm governor tpye of arrangement, and others had two position props

As far as radiator use goes, if you don't see a difference in temp or engine condition or speed...what can I say? I do

mixture...all IC engines need a proper mixture. Even a car suffers from this issue at altitudes when in the mountains, for example

Some engines have a benefit with extra rich mixtures. Some don't. Without getting into engine design philosophy, in the real world, you can 'wet-down' the cylinder walls with raw fuel...for benefit or harm, depending on a great range of circumstances. I'm not saying that's what's happening in the sim, I'm just saying that addressing that issue in detail might take a book

the sim models these different types of engines to a varying degree. Some 'newer' (to us) planes might have more complex systems modelled. the sim does not see every engine as a generic powerplant, there is an effort made to differentiate how each works, and how it's assocaiated systems work

tigertoo
02-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the info m8
Tigertooo

OMK_Hand
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
The AI tends to fly on average 50% throttle for cruise. On some planes with manual pitch, 75% pitch combined with 50% throttle gives the fastest speed for cruise throttle setting.
Not all though. For instance, the Tempest steams along at 40% RPM, 55% throttle.

Try watching the AI throttle settings in different conditions - climb, combat, cruise - then try playing with the rpm using those throttle settings and watching the indicated speed in level flight.
It's interesting with regard to speed and temperature results. Also, this method indicates useful climb speeds for otherwise undocumented aircraft.

Just a thought. Hope it makes sense.

p.s. It seems to me that keeping in trim matters also.

zoomar
02-24-2006, 07:46 PM
I have found that both radiator setting and prop pitch can affect overheating at different throttle settings. Seems realistic to me.

Also, the difference among engines does affect things. Whether or not its authentic to each type I don't know.