PDA

View Full Version : Poll about informations about SoW and regular updates.

tragentsmith
08-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Hello,

just a poll about SoW. I was told on the 1C forum that I was talking for the community when I said on it that the community would like to be kept informed about the development of SoW rather than left in the dark as it is now. I just want to check if I was right when I said that most of us wants info or not.

mmitch10
08-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Of course I'd like to see updates, but your wording is a bit biased.

There are many possible reasons for the lack of info. If the poll question was along the lines "Will the lack of updates discourage you from buying SoW when it is (eventually) released", my answer would be "no".

JG52Uther
08-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Its not biased at all,and quite clear.Ivan at 1C made the comment that everyone posting was presuming to use the royal 'we' instead of 'I' when moaning about the lack of updates.So a poll is a good idea.

mmitch10
08-21-2008, 07:28 AM
"No, I prefer beeing kept in the dark and rely on rumors or fantasy to have something to expect from SoW." is quite emotive, biased wording.

Don't get me wrong, I would love regular updates and that's the way I voted in the poll. Another option might be "Regular updates aren't important to me".

tragentsmith
08-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, I don't think the second choice is biaised because it's actually what's really happening when we have no official update/info.

Today we have different websites giving us different release dates, giving even pre ordering possibility, when we know that the game won't be completed before at least 2009.

We don't know who the publisher will be.

The only images we have is 2 years old pics from WIP planes on a blue screen or the DVD bonus CD from 1946.

We got only a very tiny bit of info when all the madness started with the video from IL2 BoP, and we got way more infos about BoP than about SoW.

Speculation is really big.

So it's not biaised IMO, especially when Oleg promised at 1C to give infos every 3-4 weeks.

b2spirita
08-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Are people really that wound up about it???

Its a game lads, nothing more.

knightflyte
08-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Here we have several countries jockying for position (one happens to be the country of origin for said CFS)and the most important thing is information about a game?

As many of us regulars know, Oleg is pretty good at keeping us updated. When things that we needed to know happened there was always a posting about it.

FB delayed until Feb/Mer of 03 instead of X Mas 02.

Delay in patches because of one thing or another.

Regular developement updates re: FB.

He illicited help via the forums.

And in the good old days he'd personally be involved in long (many pages) forum topics on several different Flight Sim forums..... including sim outhouse's MSCFS3 forum.

This black out isn't due to him wanting us in the dark. I'm certain there are influences beyond his control preventing the flow of information. Look how we can't even mention G*R*U*M*M*U*N in this forum.

Old timers will remember how every patch was leaked several days to a week before official launch. You never know who's willing to steal inside info.

What is a poll going to do other than demonstrate that we're too immature to wait for a game? I also think 1C is aware we want "lifesigns."

No offence meant........

JG52Uther
08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
So how did you vote?

Falcke
08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Here's a bit that Luthier posted a while ago on the 1C forums, and most people probably haven't read it.

The problem with work in progress is that it's a work in progress. Things are released when they're ready. What possible reason do you think can anyone have to withold things? Alpha screenshots aren't shown at this time because they're alpha screenshots. A sim is a huge number of different components, which all need to come together in the end. Look up some shots from IL-2 alpha and compare them to release shots for a rough comparison. They look like two completely different sims. And the situation today is different than in the pre-Il-2 days. Even though some of you may feel different, it makes little sense to release things that may be unrepresentative of the final result right now - especially after so long a wait.

When things are ready, of course we'll be happy to share them with you. I've been roaming around Oleg's office all this week (and they worked all day Saturday too), and if I can get some of you to take my word for it, things are looking great. There's a crazy amount of really exciting things being done, things never even attempted by anyone before. The sim, on virtually every level, is head and shoulders above everything else.

Oleg and team are trying to build a benchmark sim for many years to come. This is why it's taking a long time. Il-2 lasted all these years because the initial work put into it was solid. Same thing is being done here. Making a masterpiece is hard back-breaking work.

I know it's hard to remain patient in the dark, but what can I say, things will be ready when they're ready.

As we get closer to release, Oleg promises to release more things more often, just as the case was eight years ago, as we were approaching the release of the original Il-2.

Is enough to keep me happy.

tragentsmith
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
And what about just giving a few words once in a month ? Could be great too !!!

ElAurens
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Your poll needs to be worded in an unbiased banner to be valid.

It is not.

By now.

Chivas
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
It a POINTLESS poll as there is not a person in the community who doesn't want more updates. Everyone knows it including Oleg.

Uufflakke
08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by b2spirita:
Are people really that wound up about it???

Its a game lads, nothing more.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

AngryIce
08-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Choices:
Yes, I want Oleg to put regular updates about SoW, or at least give us a lifesign every month.
No, I prefer beeing kept in the dark and rely on rumors or fantasy to have something to expect from SoW.

Biased.

Yes, I would like a community PR person or a team member to take time to update the community.
No, I prefer that the team concentrate all their energies on releasing a quality product.

Not biased.

See the difference? Its fact, not emotive.

Jaws2002
08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I voted: No! I want cheerleader pics instead.

WTE_Galway
08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I voted no.

I am not really interested in progress reports which will only generate a deluge of whining and "Oleg can you please .... " posts. I will be quite happy to read details once/if the product is ready for release.

Plus its amusing to listen to all the spoilt children complaining http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The "SOW is a religion and Oleg a god" thread on the other forum has gotten hilarious.

M_Gunz
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mmitch10:
Of course I'd like to see updates, but your wording is a bit biased.

There are many possible reasons for the lack of info. If the poll question was along the lines "Will the lack of updates discourage you from buying SoW when it is (eventually) released", my answer would be "no".

+1

Perhaps emotionally loaded instead of biased would be more descriptive?
We have gotten update not that long ago but

1) they really are busy at Maddox Games (1C is more than only MG, Russian publisher?) and from
my experience presenting dog and pony shows tears into production more than a little.

2) whatever they do present, if anything later is different there's w-a-n-k-s who will try and
present that or any differences between patches as evidence of whatever they want to push.

Perhaps there should be a choice "I don't think that playing Are-We-There-Yet will help, thank
you." would at least give me an option to vote for.

M_Gunz
08-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

WTE_Ibis
08-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Falcke:
Here's a bit that Luthier posted a while ago on the 1C forums, and most people probably haven't read it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem with work in progress is that it's a work in progress. Things are released when they're ready. What possible reason do you think can anyone have to withold things? Alpha screenshots aren't shown at this time because they're alpha screenshots. A sim is a huge number of different components, which all need to come together in the end. Look up some shots from IL-2 alpha and compare them to release shots for a rough comparison. They look like two completely different sims. And the situation today is different than in the pre-Il-2 days. Even though some of you may feel different, it makes little sense to release things that may be unrepresentative of the final result right now - especially after so long a wait.

When things are ready, of course we'll be happy to share them with you. I've been roaming around Oleg's office all this week (and they worked all day Saturday too), and if I can get some of you to take my word for it, things are looking great. There's a crazy amount of really exciting things being done, things never even attempted by anyone before. The sim, on virtually every level, is head and shoulders above everything else.

Oleg and team are trying to build a benchmark sim for many years to come. This is why it's taking a long time. Il-2 lasted all these years because the initial work put into it was solid. Same thing is being done here. Making a masterpiece is hard back-breaking work.

I know it's hard to remain patient in the dark, but what can I say, things will be ready when they're ready.

As we get closer to release, Oleg promises to release more things more often, just as the case was eight years ago, as we were approaching the release of the original Il-2.

Is enough to keep me happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
==============================================

How long ago was that posted Falcke?
I'm just trying to gauge when Luthier was roaming around Olegs office and things were looking great.
If it was last month then that's good news, if it was a year ago well that's different.
Cheers, Ibis.

Chivas
08-22-2008, 12:50 AM
It was in the last group of posts probably close to two months ago.

knightflyte
08-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
So how did you vote?

LOL. Didn't vote.

Uufflakke
08-22-2008, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

Plus its amusing to listen to all the spoilt children complaining http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The "SOW is a religion and Oleg a god" thread on the other forum has gotten hilarious.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
I could accept their reaction if they really were spoilt children. But this game is mostly played by adults. The average age of flightsimmers in general is above 21 years.

M_Gunz
08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
What seems needed is a daily CNN spot report and perhaps hourly ticker strip update to fill
in between the weekly hour long specials.

Uufflakke
08-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
What seems needed is a daily CNN spot report and perhaps hourly ticker strip update to fill
in between the weekly hour long specials.

It happened to be on CNN by the way! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/cnn_screenshot.jpg

Feathered_IV
08-22-2008, 05:41 AM
I voted No. I gave up on SoW some time ago. I have no expectation of it ever reaching fruition in the manner that people seem to expect of it. The job is too big and the team too small. I predict a half hearted offline experience with inadequate breifings, radio, command and mission goals. More shallow online gameplay and incomplete content with desultory elements and additions added in a random and protracted manner.

I only spare a thought for SoW these days when I feel like poking fun. A bit sad really, but there it is. I remember when I was a starry-eyed zealot. A true disciple. Not any more though. They've seen to that. They took a devoted fan, and turned me into a cynic. A heckler.

Sure I'll buy SoW if it ever sees the light of day. But they've wrecked the consumer confidence that I used to have. SoW would need to be truly outstanding piece of work to bring me back from the brink. As it is they have made a surly, grudging customer out of me that expects them to fail. You reap what you SoW.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

JG52Uther
08-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Well Feathered,I don't feel quite that bad just yet,but pretty much.I do think it will turn up one day,in some form or other,but the rampant fanboi-ism drained away quite some time ago.If KoTs turns up before,and there is every sign that it will,I will probably send my money that way.

joeap
08-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaws2002:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

DuxCorvan
08-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
I predict a half hearted offline experience with inadequate breifings, radio, command and mission goals. More shallow online gameplay and incomplete content with desultory elements and additions added in a random and protracted manner.

PF? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Well, I lost my confidence on it. To be sincere, I love Il-2, but my enthusiasm on the series decreased with every release, starting the decline with AEP, and going steadily down, as the offline gamer experience was going drier and drier.

I don't think they have the resources, the time and the logistics needed for such ambitious project. You guys are expecting a second updated and perfect FB, but FB is a miracle, a 'rara avis' in the history of videogames, and miracles are unlikely to repeat.

These days, given the news, the only thing I really expect from Russia is hoping that they won't nuke me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

jarink
08-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Do we even know for sure if UBI is still going to be the publisher for non-Russian sales of SoW? If not, then it's perfectly understandable not to see any news here (on UBI's forum).

I'm actually OK with no news about SoW:BoB. $40-50 for the game when (if?) it first comes out, plus who knows how much in hardware upgrades to play it is not something I'm prepared to pay when it's so limited in scope (especially since it's a battle that doesn't particularly interest me). I probably won't even look into buying it until a MTO or strategic bombing expansion comes out.

I didn't vote.