PDA

View Full Version : I'm not too happy with curser movement

Mangomommy
10-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi all. Hope I'm in the right area/forum for this question.

I just finished Uru and the xp and am kinda missing the up/down/sideways arrow "method of operation" with my keyboard.

Here's my question: The hand is so large and such a distraction along with being somewhat slow (I think) and clicking on the mouse seems to be in a delayed reaction mode. Can some kind soul help me with a more efficient setup for navigating around Myst? I don't really know how to explain the problem but something is not exactly right with my setup and I would just like to move around more quickly. Thanks!

Mangomommy
10-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Where is everyone???

Pheurton
10-17-2004, 02:02 PM
well, what kind of system specs do you have? are they well above the minimum req? I would imagine the faster your computer the faster each spot loads? also try turning off some of the special effects in options. as for the cursor try turning down the transparency of the cursor until you can barely see it. that's all I know, yet. hope that helps

maztec
10-17-2004, 02:44 PM
The speed each spot loads is determined by the spin speed of your hard drive, whether or not you have a full install of the game, and the speed of yo ruDVD drive if you don't have a full install.

Plus amount of ram/etc helps.

As for inverted mouse, we'll see about it, haven't got any confirmation one way or the other on it.

JeremySwan
10-17-2004, 02:46 PM
I understand what you mean Mangomommy. I find the cursor to react very slowly to our needs.

My computer spec are way higher than the min spec and still I find the cursor to be slow in reaction or confusing sometimes.

Usually it gets anoying when there is something to grab and after you do what you have to do with the item... example: move the lever an animation is trigger. The cursor seems to stick into some other mode that you cant get out unless you right click you mouse.
I dont know if that explanation makes any sense, but I find it to be confusing with gameplay here. The only advise I could give you is when you grab something (for example : a lever) you move it, and when the animation start just release the lever and right click. At that moment you should feel your hand cursor free of movement again. That way you will be able too move and to see freely.

The other thing is yes each area that you get is long to load...everything is installed into my PC and I still got this long wait. Not really in the game itself but by switching between the menu and the game.

I've just checked right now and the menu looks to be the problem. It's only when i switch from the game into the main menu that it gets long to load. Even when I start the game from the beginning the menu gets a long time to load before I can get acess to it.

(my spec: PC Atlon 2.8 Ghz 1gig Ram 24x DVD drive)

Pheurton
10-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Is the game SUPPOSE to run like this, even with good system specs? Mine are well above minimum, probably above recommended if there were any... is it expected to run like this when everything is set up right? Because I understand that what it's loading is intense. Or is everyone else not having this "problem"?

it would be nice if the mouse was snappier though, maybe if there were an option to turn off the animation of the hand?

maztec
10-17-2004, 11:49 PM
No, it doesn't run like this on a lot of systems. In fact so far this is the first real reports of it I've seen.

Please detail your system specifications. Type/model/brand/CPU/ram/hard drive/video/OS and so on. Also try turning down the level of other effects and graphics in the game plus disabling whatever running processes you may have in the background.

The time between scenes(nodes) can take a bit. It's usually a very noticeable 1 to 2 seconds for me. But the system is having to piece it together, which explains some of the time involved.

Pheurton
10-18-2004, 10:50 AM
1800+ xp (1.6ghz)
Windows XP Pro SP2
geforce3
santa cruz sound card
7200rpm IDE drives 26gb/80gb
640mb pc2100 (3 sticks, don't ask)
myst installed on main windows drive
Sony DRU540A 12x dvd read

myst full install

I think it should be running faster, especially while eating 8gb of hd space

Mangomommy
10-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. I'll get to my specks shortly, but I keep laughing to myself about this curser thing. Is anyone of the age to remember the Addams Family? Every time I try to pick up something not "pickupable" and the hand taps it, it reminds me of "THING" remember the hand in the box? I'm giggling right now. It's nice to know that after all these years THING got another gig. I guess you are never to old to work!

Anyway...

My specks are:

XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz, 2.67GHz
1.00 GB Ram
ATI 9600XT

Last time I checked I think I had 87 percent of my computer freed up, I guess that has something to do with performance I'm sure.

I'll try lowering some of the other options to see if that does anything. Y'all keep me posted of any new developments please and thanks.

maztec
10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Again, what software are you running in the background? Antivirus? chat? what? Turn it off, see if that helps.

Mangomommy
10-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Thanks Maztec for your advice. Yes, I always have a bunch of stuff running in the background. I forget that it does have an effect on performance.

maztec
10-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Also, I'd recommend you go ahead and send an error report to Ubi, hopefully they can figure out what's up and maybe fix it:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=6651093922

nakita7
10-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I thought the cursor lag was just me! I have a cordless mouse, and when I switched it back to a corded it helped a lot, although not perfect.

nielsbothof
10-25-2004, 08:59 AM
I always loved crosshairs... The hand is ridiculus.

maztec
10-25-2004, 09:24 PM
nakita - and anyone else experiencing cursor lag. What's your system configuration?

nielsbothof: Sorry to hear that -- all Myst games have had a hand (unless you count Uru). It's one of those "traditional things".

Maz