PDA

View Full Version : All Beach Starships to be distroyed?

VBF-83_Hawk
06-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Anyone else hear about this?

LStarosta
06-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Surely you mean the Beechcraft, not a UFO that landed on a beach...

I dunno. Why would they be destroyed?

vocatx
06-19-2005, 08:56 PM
No, I haven't heard about this. What is the reason? Something come out in an AD that they're keeping quiet about?

Post back with more info. Those are some really wild looking planes. I'd hate to see them all destroyed.

SKULLS Virga
06-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Yep it's true. Beechcraft bought most of them back to destroy them. Liability issues and the cost of providing support made it just cheaper to destroy them.

vocatx
06-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Yep, Hawk's right. Chalk another one up to Big Brother being soooo helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up putting all these new space flight companies out of business, too.

http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship%20FAQ.htm

Taylortony
06-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:
Yep, Hawk's right. Chalk another one up to Big Brother being soooo helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up putting all these new space flight companies out of business, too.

http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship%20FAQ.htm

yep owners that hung on actually did well, i heard of one owner virtually getting a new King Air in exchange......... There was some concerns that if they put some in musuems someone might try to fly them in the future, so even that is being limited too........... they are being stripped of usefull parts and chopped

Blutarski2004
06-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Big Brother = Tort lawyers & Product Liability.

Here is the short story of a case reported during an address at the National Press Association which was broadcast on National Pubic Radio.

Police chase fleeing criminal to an air strip.

Criminal spots a small a/c idling on the tarmac.

Criminal, who has never flown, leaps into a/c and attempts to take off.

Criminal runs a/c into a fuel truck sitting by the side of the runway.

Criminal caught, convicted, and sent to jail.

Criminal sues a/c manufacturer on product liability grounds: a/c was tail-dragger and he claimed that visibility was criminally bad over the nose as a result.

Criminal wins lawsuit.

Go figure ...................

TheJoyStick
06-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Blutarski2004:
Big Brother = Tort lawyers & Product Liability.

Here is the short story of a case reported during an address at the National Press Association which was broadcast on National Pubic Radio.

Police chase fleeing criminal to an air strip.

Criminal spots a small a/c idling on the tarmac.

Criminal, who has never flown, leaps into a/c and attempts to take off.

Criminal runs a/c into a fuel truck sitting by the side of the runway.

Criminal caught, convicted, and sent to jail.

Criminal sues a/c manufacturer on product liability grounds: a/c was tail-dragger and he claimed that visibility was criminally bad over the nose as a result.

Criminal wins lawsuit.

Go figure ...................

Please tell me that happened in the EU...

Vogler_3.jg51
06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
It is a shame to see the starship go. What is really a shame is that people call it a failure. The starship itself was not a big hit with the public, but it was the first all composite civilian aircraft of its size, it was the first corporate aircraft to incorporate a full glass cockpit, and it was the first aircraft to have an active noise cancelling system in the cabin. Much of the technology that was first seen in the Starship has become commonplace in new generation business aircraft.

They are going to save one for the Smithsonian and apparently Rutan is not going to let his go, so there will be a couple around for a while.

ElAurens
06-20-2005, 08:02 PM
The Scaled Composites bird will probably fly with an "Experimental" designation. They also plan to hot rod it a bit, or so I'm told...

A pity Raytheon got cold feet.

WWMaxGunz
06-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Joystick, it's bad enough it happens here.

Tort lawyers, making everything safe for crime.

California, a guy breaks into a school to steal computers. He breaks in through a skylight
over the gymnasium but falls to the floor breaking his back and doing other damage. He
sued the school system and won big time. It was too easy to get in and have an accident.
Guess they should have provided a net or better yet, left the doors open and provided aids
there in case he slipped on the floor.

It's NUTS. But these examples have to happen so drug companies and makers of faulty
medical implants can be protected. Gotta get the priorities right first. Moral compass
and all that, it always points to the money.

VW-IceFire
06-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Real shame...I read an article about them. I understand that they were an exceptional aircraft destroyed by bad sales and office politics.

Apparnetly they were a real joy to fly.

vocatx
06-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Sad thing is, Beech has made a lot of wonderful aircraft over the years, but it sounds like their board of directors might have them headed the way of some of the great manufacturers of the past. My dad had a V35B Bonanza for several years. I loved that plane. Probably the closest thing to a fighter I'll ever get to fly. Man, was that thing sweet to handle!

From the sound of the article in my link, I think we may end up seeing the Starship as it was meant to be in the future. That would be great, assuming they can get the FAA to certify it as originally designed.

WTE_Galway
06-21-2005, 06:56 PM
the main problem the starship faced was a marketing one

Tts target market was the same one that bombadier aimed for with the Leer and Cessna have recently made huge inroads into with the Citation. In that prestige market being a "jet" makes a big difference.

The same problem has dogged commercial airline sfor years .. even where turbo-props are safer cheaper and more practical the general public prefers to fly on a "jet" .

VBF-83_Hawk
06-21-2005, 08:10 PM
See Ivan, I am capable of posting a decent topic from time to time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Philipscdrw
06-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Doesn't the Piaggio Avanti do everything the Starship was meant to do?

Enforcer572005
06-23-2005, 10:50 PM
THat was covered this week in a History channel program called "boneyards"...was really fascinating. did you know the usaf was scrapping huge numbers of C-141s, and cannabalizing many C-5As? And using Spruance class destroyers as targets in weapons tests? I wondered for a moment if hillary was president. talk about jumping the gun.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

the starship yard was shown, and its really sad. but one guy (not rutan, but he has his support) bought one when they first came out, and not only wont sell it, he bought up some spare airframes and tons of spare parts, so a few will be flying for some time.

The problem was massive pre-production interference by the FAA (of course-same people trying to ground all the warbirds with requirements grounding nearly anything that isnt still in production).

this made the plane too expensive to compete with jets. thats what killed it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

I remember seeing a prototype at the dayton airshow (parked) in 89 or 90. these colleg-boy executive types are ruining avaition, like they nearly did the US space program.

Remember that similiar rationalization got the carrier Enterprise scrapped in 58, despite congress ordering it to be preserved. sheesh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

FAA stands for F##k up all airplanes.