PDA

View Full Version : OT: To all veteran simmers... Why does HD2 get no respect???

Col_Tibbetts
03-21-2005, 09:03 AM
I know we have a lot of seasoned, veteran, life-long simmers here so I thought I would ask why HD2 has such a small following.

It is my favorite tactical shooter, period! Sure the maps are small and the hit detection is a little unreal (shoot a guy in the leg with a 7.62 round and he keeps running for example), but the character modeling is superb!

Not only do you get very detailed characters, but furthermore everything you carry is modeled as well! Grab a medkit off a dead German and you will actually see it on your belt. Also when you are scavanging your kills you can see what they have on their belts and know that it is an accurate inventory of what they have!

It is so unfortunate that the online community is so small. The sim has been distributed worldwide and yet on a weeknight you will find only 100-200 people playing!

Just get out there and play COOP and you will be hooked. Everyone I have ever played with is mature and helpful. Also the COOP missions are designed so well that they really make you think.

The AI is not bad either. Sure they do stupid things but they will try to out flank you and they are **** good at throwing grenades.

So tell me. You all are savvy simmers. Why does HD2 and HD2 Sabre Squadron get no respect!

Jex_TG
03-21-2005, 09:08 AM
I didn't think it supported CooP mode. This is hidden and dangerous 2 right? I want proper coop missions to play vs the AI - is this available?

I didn't go far with the SP element. It annoyed me that I couldn't leave a soldier to cover one place, they all seemed to move from where I put them. Probably something wrong in what I was doing .

Now Vietcong - there's a game worth having http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Col_Tibbetts
03-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Sorry man. I should have been more clear.

HD2 does not support COOP. HOWEVER, HD2 Sabre Squadron is an add on that contains nine new maps which are single player and COOP capable. They are true gems which have made the sim incredible. There is also a cool mod out there which enables COOP mode on the best HD2 map, Czech4!

The sim is patched to 1.12 now so the annoyances you speak of are almost gone.

Try it, you'll like it.

AWL_Spinner
03-21-2005, 10:04 AM
The original was my favourite game ever, EVER (until IL2). Buggy but sooooo atmospheric.

The sequel and Sabre Squadron are similarly fantastic, indeed the only two games (well, series of games) on my HDD now are H&D2 and FBPF.

Having said that - I've never ventured online, it always used to sound really tricky. Is there a lobby system or do you have to know IP adresses?

jetsetsam
03-21-2005, 10:18 AM
H&D 2 SS is the best shooter out there.

I'm still part of a MOHAAS clan and played it last night for the first time in over a year, and it is very arcadish compared to H&D 2SS. Much more detail on the H&D 2 maps.

H&D 2 is much more realistic and tactical and you are forced to pay a lot of attention to finding cover. Probably why there a far fewer kids playing it. I love the banzai attacks of the AI in coops. Very intense action. Some rocking action in team play too, epecially on the Normandy2B and moded Czech4 maps.

The third person view makes for a very different game.

Lots of players from Europe, and it has built-in voice comm which actually works.

And you are right, most of the players seem more mature than other shooters.

james_ander
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
H&D2 is like the small independent film that wins lots of awards in Europe and goes unnoticed in the US while something like Call of Duty is the big summer Hollywood blockbuster that rakes in a gizillion dollars: expensive, predictable, etc.

When I bought H&D2 at my local EB there were rows of CoD and posters advertising it. H&D2 was tucked away on the bottom shelf. There were like 2 copies. It's like when you go to the video store. There will be a whole wall of a predictable Hollywood flick...anyway, you get the point.

H&D2 is made by a Czech developer and is not widely promoted in the US. You wouldn't know there was an expansion pack unless you frequented the forums. It was $10 US...

And yes, I agree, H&D2 rocks. I don't like shooters much, but I love this one.

lkemling
03-21-2005, 03:58 PM
AAH So just what it H&D2.......?

PriK
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Great game although I only went through single player then gave it away.

I recall finding it awkward selecting stuff, can't remember exactly, and some other annoyances that were almost show-stoppers for me but everything else was superb.

I liked that it didn't have as much of a "canned" feel to it like MOH and others of that ilk and felt somewhat more "sim"-like than game-like.

Wonder if they're working on a HD3 yet?

icrash
03-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Yup, I like the fact it's anything goes to do the mission in HD2. I have no clue how to get my goons to do whatI need them to. I like the idiot simple squad control on Brothers in Arms but I don't care for how scripted it is.

Col_Tibbetts
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Bummer...

I am gathering from all the replies that the reason why HD2 is unpopular is that it is TOO realistic and TOO complicated.

It is truly a "thinking mans" sim. That is why I love it!

Come on guys. You are all better than this!

Just say NO to kiddie shooters!

LW_lcarp
03-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Played the multiplayer of H&D2 once and didnt care for that part at all but i still play the single player part of it about once a week just to have a change of pace.

LordOliver
03-21-2005, 10:19 PM
H&D2 still has a cherished place on my hard drive. Break it out every now and then for something different. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F4U_Flyer
03-21-2005, 10:28 PM
still playing h&d2ss! the best tactical sim fps ive played. Loved h&d the orig , bugs and all was great. The ai isnt always smart but sometimes they surprise you and smack your a&# !

HellToupee
03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
i loved hnd2 and 1, felt it far better than games like cod, tho its hit detection online wasnt great probly because its based on m$ direct play. But sabre squadron is not even aviable here yet, its still another month away from appearing in any shop(in NZ btw) very few people even hear of it. Box dosnt do itself any favours people browsing shelfs tend to want to see screenshots on the back, hnd2 only game box i know of without a single screenshot.

RedDeth
03-22-2005, 01:24 AM
ive bought every fps game out there. Especially ww2 ones.

i got HD2 and i had problems loading game onto my puter. returned it had same prob. went online and found many many many with same prob on forums. so i returned it like 2 more times cuz i couldnt get a refund just exchange. on the fourth h and d 2 game which i waited for a new batch as most shipped anywhere were supposedly screwed i finally got one to load and it was glitchy and stopped often. i guess this was a problem with the cds themselves and not the game. but i have no idea where the game is now and dont care. i know they screwed many people who just gave up on it and never bothered to return it.

HotelBushranger
03-22-2005, 02:49 AM
I used to have the SP and MP Demo of HD2, then the SS Demo, and I must they they kicked ar$e! Loved it to bits, online was the best, working together and having lovely chats!

Asgeir_Strips
03-22-2005, 04:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:
I know we have a lot of seasoned, veteran, life-long simmers here so I thought I would ask why HD2 has such a small following.

It is my favorite tactical shooter, period! Sure the maps are small and the hit detection is a little unreal (shoot a guy in the leg with a 7.62 round and he keeps running for example), but the character modeling is superb!

Not only do you get very detailed characters, but furthermore everything you carry is modeled as well! Grab a medkit off a dead German and you will actually see it on your belt. Also when you are scavanging your kills you can see what they have on their belts and know that it is an accurate inventory of what they have!

It is so unfortunate that the online community is so small. The sim has been distributed worldwide and yet on a weeknight you will find only 100-200 people playing!

Just get out there and play COOP and you will be hooked. Everyone I have ever played with is mature and helpful. Also the COOP missions are designed so well that they really make you think.

The AI is not bad either. Sure they do stupid things but they will try to out flank you and they are **** good at throwing grenades.

So tell me. You all are savvy simmers. Why does HD2 and HD2 Sabre Squadron get no respect! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No No No, HD2 is adequate but nothing more...
The best tactical shooter out on the market today is without doubt Brothers In Arms!

www.gearboxsoftware.com (http://www.gearboxsoftware.com) for more info 'bout the game...

I bought it last friday and i must say that, this game is the most difficult FPS game i've ever played... And the best game i've ever played regardless of any genres... Im not saying its bug free or anything, but it kicks the other ww2 fps games far up the ***...

i dont think BiA has received a review score less than 90% /5 out of 6 stars and so on...
Most likely a good contender to game of the year...

But Run and gun players, like in Cod will maybe dislike this game, since its TOTALLY impossible to finish all the objectives yourself.. This is about fire and maneuvre tactics. The Four F's :

First, FIND the enemy...

then FIX the enemy with suppressing fire (your fireteam)

Then FLANK the enemy with your assault team (Tommy guns, more grenades etc)

then FINISH him/ the enemy with your assault team.. Then you all regroup and proceed to your objective..

On some missions you'll command a tank also, (you cannot drive it, just "say" where you want it to be in the battlefield) You can also use a .30 cal browning mg on the tank...

Simply the best game ever!

Recon_609IAP
03-22-2005, 05:09 AM
I played HD2, and finally quit playing it.

online it was so-so.

It felt very clunky to me. It had the same issue as Ghost Recon as well, where the players AI was poor, and it was constantly shifting back and forth between players to get them to move correctly. Lastly, it did tend to crash on me at times.

That being said, I really enjoyed the game until I got stuck at a level and finally gave up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I tried it online a few times, not bad, but it seemed a bit laggy and not many people were playing it online.

I guess after that first experience I was/is leary of the addon - although in hindsight it was far better than most fps available.

ARM505
03-22-2005, 06:51 AM
I remember getting pissed off that, even when firing a suppressed weapon from a concealed position, the enemy could magically 'see' your exact position for a few seconds. I like stealthy sneak ups, and taking out gaurds when nobody was looking, so that stuffed it for me.

Yimmy
03-22-2005, 07:11 AM
H&D2 SP was simply amazing, but MP was far too arcady.

cajun16
03-22-2005, 07:42 AM
I've been a fan of H&D ever since the original came out with the Devil's Bridge expansion. Played them both to death even with the huge and many bugs. Waited forever, it seemed, for the H&D2 sequel to come out and preordered to be sure I would get it. Then the H&D SS came out and I was more than thrilled with the whole package. They even redid the original H&D into a Deluxe package fixing all the bugs...You're right. There seems to be very little intererst in the whole H&D experience. I've tried I don't know how many times to get online to play the H&DSS, but for the life of me I can't understand Gathering's process of joining online play. I have a lot of PC Games but there are only a few I keep installed on my system. The H&D Deluxe, the H&D2, the H&DSS and of course IL2+AEP+PF.

AWL_Spinner
03-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Original full orchestral score helped too.

I just love sneaking round in the snow with a silenced Sten. Shame about those ruddy guard dogs with the great sense of smell though.

Texas LongHorn
03-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey big guy. For me ANYTHING in third person sucks. Sorry to be blunt but that is the answer. All the best, LongHorn

Saunders1953
03-22-2005, 10:19 AM
HD2 is a WWII FPS??? I thought it was post WWII. Where did I get thast notion? Can you play the Axis, or are you stuck with US, British and Russian? Is there a large mod community for the game?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Col_Tibbetts
03-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Saunders,

HD2 is definately WWII! You will love it. It is the best and most under appreaciated sim out there.

To answer your question, yes you can only play allied in single player mode. However, in multi player mode you can be Axis or Allied.

The best part is that it is cheap. $39.99 US for HD2 and ONLY $10.00 US for the addon.

Hawggy
03-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Hidden & Dangerous (arguably, the best co-op WWII experience you can have), as well as Hidden & Dangerous II, (with Sabre Squadron) is the best attempt @ capturing realism w/ a WWII FPS. All the others are arcade-like at ALL times.

Really the first H&D (1997) came out before it's time. Too buggy.

The sequel just didn't have the press coverage as all the other WWII FPS: When was the last time you've seen a commercial for it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I agree with you Tibbetts 100%. Just wish more people who enjoy realism would recognize H&D2 with Sabre Squad as one of the most realistic WWII FPS' right now. Great Co-op fun as well!!! Awesome game!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Hey Longhorn - you can lock the first-person view if you'd like. It's natively a first person shooter, NOT third.

DeerHunterUK
03-23-2005, 04:26 AM
I wish when they released the H&D2 SS patch that they had listened to the fans and changed the original H&D2 missions so that they could be played in co-op mode aswell as the SS missions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
It's a great game though and I say that despite the fact I hated the original.

Hawggy
03-23-2005, 05:30 AM
That, my friend, is coming in a patch via Gathering, or perhaps 3rd Party, but - it's COMING!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif