PDA

View Full Version : How to set planes on Carriers in Full mission builder?

Destroyer110
11-09-2004, 02:41 AM
I cannot get any planes to takeoff from a carrier in the full mission builder. As soon as I set them from Normal fly to Takeoff, the aircraft icon moves to a land based airfield?

I've tried a few japanese aircraft, nothing works?

Troll2k
11-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Did you set the carrier as a home base?

I suggest you visit the mission building forum at the ubi site.

madsarmy
11-09-2004, 03:04 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=50910533&m=6281089632

EURO_Snoopy
11-09-2004, 03:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Destroyer110:
I cannot get any planes to takeoff from a carrier in the full mission builder. As soon as I set them from Normal fly to Takeoff, the aircraft icon moves to a land based airfield?

I've tried a few japanese aircraft, nothing works? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FAQ (http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ_PF.htm)

Tully__
11-09-2004, 03:06 AM
From the manual:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>CARRIER OPERATIONS
In order to get aircraft to take off or land on aircraft carriers, you must follow these simple
steps:
<LI> Set up the waypoints for the aircraft carrier.
<LI> Set up the first or last waypoint of the plane‚‚ā¨ôs
flight next to the carrier; first waypoint for takeoff,
and last for landing.
<LI> In the Waypoint tab of the plane‚‚ā¨ôs properties,
set the Type drop-down to either Takeoff or
Landing, then set the target to the aircraft carrier. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dr...Watson
11-09-2004, 08:36 AM
The trick is, place the aircaft near the carrier, set the 1st waypoint to Takeoff, press the set button, then you must move the green circle for set point over the aircraft carrier, not just anywhere over it, over the carrier name so the carrier name is highlighted by your mouse pointer, then your good to go.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi,

I had a slightly different problem with the FMB.

I set up two seperate flights to operate from a carrier...

I set the carrier waypoints, then created a flight path for flight 1 (Seafires) which started and ended at the carrier.

I then set up flight 2 (Beaufighters) which started and ended at the same carrier but which 'spawned' 5 minutes after the map started.

Even though both flights were set almost identically, when the Beaus spawned, they ended up in the drink. Flight 1 had their flight and made it back to the carrier correctly.

It was late when i was trying this and I didn't have a lot of time to investigate why but is there an issue with this?

Cheers,
Norris

Tully__
11-09-2004, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
Hi,

I had a slightly different problem with the FMB.

I set up two seperate flights to operate from a carrier...

I set the carrier waypoints, then created a flight path for flight 1 (Seafires) which started and ended at the carrier.

I then set up flight 2 (Beaufighters) which started and ended at the same carrier but which 'spawned' 5 minutes after the map started.

Even though both flights were set almost identically, when the Beaus spawned, they ended up in the drink. Flight 1 had their flight and made it back to the carrier correctly.

It was late when i was trying this and I didn't have a lot of time to investigate why but is there an issue with this?

Cheers,
Norris <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't find one. I tried a single Corsair and single Seafire and couldn't replicate it with either delay or distance from the carrier of the first waypoint as a trigger.

TPN_Cephas
11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
I have done several missions with delayed start on a carrier with no problems. Are you sure you set the carrier as the takeoff target for the second group? It's easy to overlook things when all the waypoint lines start crossing over each other.

It is also possible to make AI planes sit on the carrier deck loaded as targets waiting to takeoff, and it is also possible to spawn planes in sitting on the deck randomly.

The first trick works well but the latter trick is more of a hack though as the planes will have their gear up and plop onto the deck when they spawn, you have to set the height just right so they dont get damaged or explode. If the ship is moving they also will slowly start shuffling towards the fantail and fall off over a long period of time, so it's best to have them spawn in shortly before the intended live players arrive over the target. From the air it is pretty much impossible to tell they do not have their gear down.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I did have the start and end points set correctly but the Beaus kept going into the water.

I'll try to remake the mission again but keep the old one for comparison to try to see what's wrong.

Cheers,
Norris

TPN_Cephas
11-15-2004, 01:43 AM
After doing some more fiddling with the FMB I found some useful options for that method of dropping planes anywhere on the deck I alluded to earlier.

Basically I will explain how to do it in the following text but I want to explain the limitations first.

This method only works well on stationary carriers. When you place an aircraft on a moving carrier it will not be chocked and slide toward the fantail over a few minutes time. If it collides with anything it will of course explode. This method also only works really well with fixed gear planes like the D3A Val. Retractable gear planes will plop down on the deck with gear up and also have a bent prop. This may not be noticable by planes dive bombing from above though.

This trick is a variation of one which I have been using for a while in IL2 to make ai planes instantly scramble from anywhere (although they always take off to the east for some reason).

First you place a pair of waypoints for an aircraft object close together with the second waypoint setting the direction the plane faces(not a stationary aircraft). On the first waypoint you select takeoff, then you select normfly right away. Then you can move the waypoint to where you want it to spawn. The waypoint altitude will read 0 and speed 0. To place this plane on a carrier it needs to be raised off the ground. On the carrier Zuikaku that would be 16 meters altitude. So set the altitude to 16 and make sure speed is still 0. If you are near a runway or stationary carrier the waypoint marker will jump to that runway when you selected takeoff. After selecting normfly you can place it wherever you want. If you raise the altitude above 0 after this first step the gear will be retracted.

Now for carrier placement you do the same thing with the second waypoint except set it to "landing" and then again to "normfly" just like before. (the waypoint may also jump to a runway, just move it where you want after selceting normfly) Now set the altitude to 16 also and the speed to 0. Also for carrier placement it is vitally important to set the fuel to 0%. On the Zuikaku you need to raise the spawn height for both waypoints to 17 if you are placing a Val since it's gear is fixed and the wheels need to clear the deck.

This has to be done for every single plane you want to place, with some practice you can do it quickly though.

You can also use the first step to make ai and player planes takeoff from anywhere at an airport with engines running as soon as the mission starts. As I stated earlier, for some reason any plane that does not have a live pilot in it, the AI will immediately turn to the east and try to takeoff. You have ot be very carefull with placement or it will crash into something. After the first waypoint just make all other waypoints like normal for this method. You could even make players takeoff from inside one of the big new hangars with open doors using this trick.

Below is a link to a test mission I made showing carrier placement in work. There is a moving and a stationary carrier. You can see the moving carrier planes move around after placement (be sure the carrier is not moving too fast if you do decide to try spwaning a plane onto a moving carrier). You can also see how the Val's are parked perfectly on the stationary carrier. I plopped a B-29 on the fantail just to show that you can place any plane.

Also note every ship may vary in height, and sometimes what works for one plane does not work properly on another so it might take some tweaking to get it to work right. This is a time comsuming process when you have to keep on testing it. Be sure to set one plane as a player and play test straight out of the mission builder.

I hope this is of use to some of you.

http://home.comcast.net/~pmcgwire/dropplanes.zip

AFJ_Locust
11-15-2004, 02:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Destroyer110:

I've tried a few japanese aircraft, nothing works? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the Manual there in the il2 folder

BM357_Raven
11-15-2004, 02:12 AM
I love this game...errr, I mean "Simulation that I play with..." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Eagle_34
11-15-2004, 05:29 AM
Indeed it's pretty easy to do right, you just set the waypoint for taking off with the green line thing onto the carrier.

I have already set up a mission with over 81 planes taking off from a single carrier, one group after the other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif the only problem i had was with them returning back to land...that would often end up a huge mess with planes crashing into one another.Or returning to early and crashing into planes getting ready to take off.
The AI is not that smart that it makes sure it doesn't land on a deck full of planes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif