PDA

View Full Version : Something I would really really really like to see

Shakthamac
01-31-2005, 10:42 PM
a PF map that goes from Iwo Jima to Japan... and the phillipines and the solomon island chain

ImpStarDuece
02-01-2005, 03:34 AM
You will never get it. Not even if you add a few more "really's". Sorry, I dont know all the specifics but the way the sim is designed you PC has to load up the map and run it in the RAM. Unless you have a few terra-bytes of free RAM your PC would never be able to handle it. Try loading up the Finalnd maps and see how long it takes. Then multiply that several hundred times. All the ground objects ect have to be generated by the game before the map loads. AAA, buildings, objects ect.

Maybe in future sime the map will get MASSIVE . Right now I can't see the BoB maps on the horizon getting substantially bigger than the maps we have already, no more than 20%. Have you seen the size of the Kyushu map (Japans southern Island)? Its huge, particularly for a 'tactical' sim! I happen to live there and im as chuffed as all hell that you can see things like Mt. Aso, the Miyazaki foot hills, Kumamoto Lake, Mt. Yatsushiro and other stuff that i can see on my weekend drives. My town almost makes an apperance, you can see the hill its behind!

Shakthamac
02-01-2005, 11:59 AM
i really dont see why the Iwo to Japan would take that much more RAM. look at the size of some of the maps like the marianas or the guadalcanal early map. overall they are huge, with small "sprinklin's" of land. the distance doesn't have to be historically accurate, which i realize makes it all that much harder to put into the game given olegs standards. however, i really dont see having a large map with iwo is one corner and a portion of Japan in the other as being that taxing on a system. sorry, should have specified what i was thinking on the initial thread. i understand the the large requirement for the others though, the entire solomon chain would be a nightmare, as would the phillipines, but it seems like such a shame to leave them out of the game. even small portions of the maps would be most welcome

Dear God Gimme Leyte

TriggerHappy57
02-01-2005, 02:52 PM
I think condensing some of the areas of operations that are too big, to realistically be portrayed in this sim, down to a smaller map would be a good idea. The map may still be rather large but not to an extreme level. I do think this has been done before too, The Bastogne map, I do beleive, Is a fictional version of the real thing, but is minmized a tad, Correct me if I am wrong. So in essence this may be possible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif