PDA

View Full Version : Win XP SP2??

Chuck_Older
02-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Pros/Cons of SP2?

I never needed to get SP2. I have zero issues with running anything on SP1

What am am potentially gaining/losing if i install SP2?

Chuck_Older
02-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Pros/Cons of SP2?

What am am potentially gaining/losing if i install SP2?

VW-IceFire
02-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Your still running SP1? And you haven't contracted worms/viruses?

I highly and very strongly recommend the installation of SP2. I haven't run into any bad things and the executable protection and firewall software are helpful. Plus I think it just runs better than earlier editions.

danjama
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I dont notice the difference between sp1 and sp2, except the messages to update dont bug me anymore http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SP2 is fine, despite silly rumours about it

Chuck_Older
02-05-2006, 03:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Your still running SP1? And you haven't contracted worms/viruses?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Not a one. At least none that i asl;jsnsgkn woiujw9874325 ioj90258r 029 pPOp--0iapoi -0842 pjl;dkgvmGF

georgeo76
02-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm the type of person that doesn't run active antivirus, spyware, or software firewall. But I do keep windows up to date. There are more than just security fixes in those updates. Get SP2.

jds1978
02-05-2006, 06:30 PM
my comp came w/ sp2....upgrade, chuck

major_setback
02-05-2006, 06:39 PM
No problems after installing it, and I run Photoshop Elements and FS 2004 (I think there were rumours that these could be affected).

jarink
02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Pros/Cons of SP2?

What am am potentially gaining/losing if i install SP2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You gain many security fixes, plus some program enhancements (like Windows Movie Maker 2.1).
With the improvements to Windows Firewall, you are making yourself much less vulnerable to online threats. (Unless you have a separate firewall program or a hardware router) Your PC is easier for someone to scan for open ports and attempt to install a backdoor if you stay on SP1.

In the loss column, you *may* lose some compatibility with older programs, but that is fairly rare in my experience.

Don't forget to run System Restore and create a restore point right before installing SP2.

Gold_Monkey
02-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Do it Chuck, I had reservations about installing SP2 also, but I did it on my two networked PCs and laptop and haven't had any issues and I guess I'm better protected. No effect on online flying either.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
02-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes, do it, upgrade. I've been running SP1 for the longest time with a SP2 disk on hand. I had installed it some time back but uninstalled because it made my X45 wonky had some games slow down(happend to be a game issue not a Windows issue, games have been patched to fix problem). Anyways, I've been going fine for over a year now, until last night. I believe it hitched a ride on a false Media Player Codec, I was looking into a video demo of a new game coming out and it said I needed some new codec to view it, I checked out all the info on it and it 'appeared' to be legit. Problem was, minutes after install I got word from Windows that I had a virus and looking further into it there was spyware/adware multiplying throught my system. Unfortunalty my Virusscan was out of date and of no use, I was forced to reformat.

Upgrade, it won't do any harm, if it does, just uninstall and keep SP1, VirusScan and FireWall as up to date as you can.(but you know that already http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ))