PDA

View Full Version : Zooming help

JOHNRAMBO84
01-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Hello! is there any way i can put the zoom feature on the slider of my x52? ie lomac. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Klemm.co
01-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Yes.

Klemm.co
01-16-2007, 01:26 AM
You've got to assign a button in the IL-2 controls section to zoom in and zoom out.
Then in the Saitek Programming-Tool you've got to assign that keys you assigned earlier to zoom in and zoom out as a macro (so the button press is repeated as long as you press the button on your joystick) on two button of your stick, whichever fits you.
I took the upper coolie hat on the stick.
Sorry for being not more precise, but its been ages since i've done that. Maybe someone else can get more into details.

But be aware that the zooming is not very smooth and it will depend on your frame-rate.

Klemm.co
01-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Oh, sorry. Just re-read your post and saw that you asked for the slider.
There is a way but then it will only have 10 or 20 increments, i think less smooth than with the solution i just described.
I tried that once, after playing LOMAC (lol) and it fooked up my gameplay.
That was because the key, which was assigned to a slider-zone, was input continously into IL-2 by the Saitek Program.
So in the end it would be doable, but i experienced some drawbacks with it and i prefer the coolie-hat solution.

Akronnick
01-16-2007, 03:04 AM
There is a way, and any ill effects can be overcome.

First, using Saitek's programming software, set up the slider to work as bands. You'll need one band for each of the levels of zoom. You need not use every single level, but there is no reason not to.

Next, in Il-2's controls section, assign a key for each level of zoom, what they are is not important, just make sure you don't want to use them for any thing else, and they're are not using "shift", "ctrl" or "alt" or those modifiers will be sent whenever you move the slider, which will cause unpredictable results.

Finally, assign an "advanced command" to each band of the slider, but make sure that both the key-down and key-up actions are in the "press"
section of the advanced command. This will cause the programming software press and release the key whenever you move the slider into that section, and not hold they key down.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---Loose nut removed from cockpit, ship OK

Klemm.co
01-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Thank you very much, Akronnick. Will try that when i get home. Guess i didn't look hard enough to find how to solve that problem. I just reverted back to the zoom on the coolie-hat happily cause very strange things were happening to my game.
I do however have another problem that made the use of zoom very strange.
The slider has some erratic movement of its own, so the view has some of this movement too when the slider is at a band-switching place and thus changes the input-bands of the software.
I hope you get what i mean.
Can i fix that with dead-band or something else?

Akronnick
01-16-2007, 03:25 AM
Yeah, putting a dead band between each active one should fix that.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---Loose nut removed from cockpit, ship OK