PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR Software Version 4 is out.

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Gents,

If you have a TrackIR3, you can now download the version 4 software for free. It will work in the normal 'dot-track' method until you order a Vector Expansion kit. Once you receive that, you can use the TrackIR in 2DOF or 6DOF mode depending on the title you are playing.

Enjoy.

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000024

jazman777
12-10-2004, 09:49 PM
It's still in Beta (what software these days isn't in perpetual Beta state? Oh, the stuff in Alpha state.)

To install the software, I have to manually hack the registry. It's a pain, and I don't like the thought of doing it again.

PriK
12-11-2004, 01:38 AM
No need to hack the registry. It should just install but you should back up your old profiles (just in case although it won't overwrite them) and let it uninstall your old driver when it asks.

Make sure you unplug the USB cable before clicking on the .exe to start installing the new one.

Just PM me if you have any probs.

x__CRASH__x
12-11-2004, 02:32 AM
What will the new software do for me?

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-11-2004, 08:27 AM
The new software is designed for the TrackIR3. Since it is more specilized, it performs better. There interface modules to help you make profiles and all sorts of other cool stuff.

www.virtualflightproductions.com (http://www.virtualflightproductions.com) has a tutorial where you can check it out before you download it.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
12-11-2004, 08:51 AM
The Curve Editor section of the software is completely broken. You can not get a stable profile using it, or at least it is very, very difficult. So if you install this beta, you will be spending a lot of very frustrating time fiddling with unstable software or limited to using the rather sluggish presets. Even the "Aggressive" preset profiles are rather slow. I've posted feedback on the NP forum and I'm sure that they will fix it, but as it stands at the moment, it's a non-starter. To get an idea of what is wrong, here are some of my observations (and there are many more bugs);

i) Mirror values does not work correctly. When you click on one edit point, the value of the mirrored edit point jumps up significantly more. e.g., I click on edit point 5 and move it to 38, but edit point -5 jumps to 58. Click on edit point -5 in order to adjust it, and edit point 5 then jumps to another value. Generally, edit points are very unstable when Mirror values is checked.

ii) If you place the cursor in the Value box in order to manually edit it, the value jumps up apparently randomly. e.g., I click in the Value box and instantly the value jumps to 80. In addition, the corresponding graph goes off scale, even though such values should be within the blue graph box.

iii) The first time you uncheck the Mirror vlaues check box, the middle edit point jumps up randomly.

iv) If you manually move one of the edit points to a specific value (as shown in the Value box) as soon as you release the mouse button, the value jumps up or down by 1.

v) The graph in the Curve editor blue box sometimes has little or no resemblance to that presented in the Guages screen.

vi) The middle edit point appears not to remain in the value you specify. I always resets itself to something like 39.

Isn't the rush for a Christmas release the worst enemy of quality? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif First PF, and now this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

However, the good news is that the profiles are saved in XML so they are easily edited using Notepad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Alexi

BlackR6
12-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Well, me, the new version work fine, better than the old version! I Didn't have any problem with the edit profile! Try, in pacific Fighter the tracking is better with the V4!

Cya!

trap46
12-11-2004, 09:30 AM
it is better with cfs3

Burnin_777_AVG
12-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Alexi,

None of us at NP have experienced what you are describing. At least you sent a note to NP. I'm sure they will look at it. So far, you problems are unique. Let us know if you somehow solve them. And if we hear anything we will of course let Ubi forum folks know.

BV

stelr
12-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Will it enhance TrackIR2 performance at all?

WhiskeyBravo
12-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Alexi, I replied to your post over on the Naturalpoint forums. Im not having the problems you describe. Dont you think you might be jumping the gun a little to go all out blaming NP for supplying duff software when it might be something else causing your issues?

WB.

PriK
12-11-2004, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stelr:
Will it enhance TrackIR2 performance at all? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, no. The software will only install with the newer hardware. It's a physical limitation involving the lens and other components that won't let the new software work with TIR2. NP will still be improving/perfecting software for TIR2 though.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
12-11-2004, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WhiskeyBravo:
Alexi, I replied to your post over on the Naturalpoint forums. Im not having the problems you describe. Dont you think you might be jumping the gun a little to go all out blaming NP for supplying duff software when it might be something else causing your issues?
WB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I probably have over stepped it. But I have spent a lot of very frustrating time with the new software and in the end the only thing I can do is manually modify the XML file with notepad. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but it's still broken. Having a look at what processes I have running, I'm at a loss as to what could possibly be conflicting with the software. I suppose I just remember all too well the registry editing that was needed to get TrackIR1 and TrackIR2 to work...

Alexi

PriK
12-11-2004, 02:21 PM
TIR1 and TIR2 never needed registry editing to work. The only reason some folks went in there was to enable full 360 degree view which has long since been removed anyway.

There seems to be some sort of issue with your system and the software. Contact Wayne at NaturalPoint (through the forums) and he will sort you out directly. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stelr
12-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the reply PriK. I'll be keeping the TIR2 unless 6DOF comes to the IL2 series. It works fine as is, and I salute those guys at NP for its development and improvements.

Can't imagine flying w/o it now.

widgeon
12-12-2004, 03:56 AM
Version 4 working well here.

Looking at the views of the head movement makes one yearn even more for Vector applied to Il-2/PF. This would add 10 fold to the illusion of flight and combat. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Widgeon

Alexi_Alx_Anova
12-12-2004, 06:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PriK:
TIR1 and TIR2 never needed registry editing to work./QUOTE]

That's odd since it was NaturalPoint who sent me the procedure....

Aaron_GT
12-12-2004, 07:14 AM
"The Curve Editor section of the software is completely broken. You can not get a stable profile using it, or at least it is very, very difficult. So if you install this beta, you will be spending a lot of very frustrating time fiddling with unstable software or limited to using the rather sluggish presets."

Weird. It all seems to work for me (no problems with the install, no registry editing required either). Works better than the 3.x software in terms of in game performance as far as I can tell. It might be that there are effects from previous installs, other software and so on, that cause instability for some?

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Ran with it most of yesterday and it seems to run fine no real issues so far. Thank you for the heads up Gentlemen

PriK
12-12-2004, 10:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alexi_Alx_Anova:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PriK:
TIR1 and TIR2 never needed registry editing to work./QUOTE]

That's odd since it was NaturalPoint who sent me the procedure.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, in special cases this could be necessary for many possible reasons but I assure you it is the exception and not the rule.

Again, I know the guys at NP will help you directly if you take the few minutes to get ahold of them and explain your problem.

Try wayne@naturalpoint.com, I've never seen one person's issue that he hasn't been able to solve.