PDA

View Full Version : Image quality (of gauges)

DoctorBjo
07-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi,

got a quick question about the image quality of the gauges in the cockpit. Currently I am flying the F4F and have bound a button to zooming in (FOV35 or so) and one to normal view. Sometimes when I fly I want to read of the exact values and zoom in, but the look all blurred (for example the speed). It's not really important cause I know what it's supposed to read anyway, but I would really love to have a crisp, clear picture. Any idea what I need to change ? Is it ingame-settings or graphics card settings ?

(Btw I have an Athlon 64 3200+, Radeon 9800XT, 1GB RAM, running the game in 1024x768)

Thanks for your help,
Bjoern

han freak solo
07-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Bump.

I don't know if you can increase the quality. Like you said, I too use the FOV (zoom).

But, I need the speed bar anyway.

Tully__
07-20-2005, 10:40 PM
The only thing I can think of is to turn down Anti Aliasing and maybe try turning up Anisotropic Filtering.

Kuoster
07-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I've immedietely noticed that the Virtual Cockpits in the IL2/PF series are very low in quality compared to those of LOMAC. The ones in lomac are the most crisp and clear of any Virtual cockpit, even better than 2D panels at times. You could read the guages clearly when fully zoomed out!

In PF, most simply rely on the speed bar and "arcade" information on the side of the screen instead of actually looking down and checking the guages.

To combat the blurriness, again, turn up the AF. I dont see how turning down AA would have any affect on the clarity.

DoctorBjo
07-21-2005, 01:05 AM
I dont use the speedbar because I wanted to fly with all realism settings on, that's why I often need to check my gauges. For most of them it's ok without zooming in anyway, but for example for the engine instruments on the right hand side (in the F4F) I need to zoom in to see them properly.

Hmm, will play a bit with my settings. Anyone maybe happen to know of a mod with higher quality gauges ?

Tully__
07-21-2005, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by DoctorBjo:
...Anyone maybe happen to know of a mod with higher quality gauges ?
No mods of that sort in this game, unlike the Microsoft CFS/FS series, this game is closed (encrypted) code.

stansdds
07-21-2005, 04:33 AM
I fly with the speed bar on, just like in European Air War, because the gauges can be hard to read. For things like cylinder head temp, I just make a mental note of the relative position of the needle where engine overheats occur. Same with airspeed, relative position where I would expect a stall.

Bearcat99
07-21-2005, 04:54 AM
I just look at the gause and zoom in.. I have incremental zoom set on my stick and TIR so for me its like looking down and leaning closer to the gauge.

knightflyte
07-21-2005, 08:37 AM
As many times as I've talked about how much I love my Track IR, the ability to look at your dials wasn't a feature I touted.

TrIR makes looking at the guages so natural I forget I'm using it.

EXCELLENT point Bearcat.

antifreeze
07-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Have you done anything to your graphic card settings, like change the 'mipmapping LOD' or 'texturing'; moving away from the default quality settings in graphic cards toward getting more 'performance' can cause the symptoms you describe.

JFC_Slumped
07-21-2005, 10:07 AM
I find all the guages perfectly readable. The only ones that give me trouble are some that are far off to either side and so appear at a very shallow angle. In real life you could move your head to get a better view but you can't in PF. Mabey your graphics settings need tweaking.