PDA

View Full Version : A Round for the House on me!

bruckm
02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Just got my 5th kill! 11 Missions flown in an F2A Brewster Buffalo for the Dutch Air Force. That I've survived 11 missions in that plane is a miracle. It's a terrible gun platform and landing and take-off are hazardous (for me). I've only landed safely 4 times. It does seem to carry a lot of ammo though and takes the punishment (especially from Bettys). Flew the Hurricane in the RAF by creating a new scenario; sweet handling plane.

BTW, how does one attack a Betty successfully in a Buffalo? My top speed is only marginally better than theirs and then no matter how many bullets I put into the back, the tail gunner still picks away at me. I've tried the attack from below, but the side gunners still seem to get a crack at me. I'd try head-on attacks, but you do so little damage in the one pass and then it takes forever to get back in front.

LEBillfish
02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Congrats http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif....

XyZspineZyX
02-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Royal Brackla 10 year old, one single solitary drop of water, no ice, in a straight glass

Flying_Mex
02-15-2007, 07:30 PM
congrats.

As far as attacking the betty, the best way (I've fount) is head ons, and this goes for any medium/large bombers.

With that said, I never do it, I am too inpatient :-D

The one thing I do want to warn ya about is DO NOT GET BEHIND THE BETTY SPECIALLY (not yelling simply done for emphasis). Why? Well the betty carries a nice little 20mm cannon in the rear turret gunner, which is why I love flying it in dogfights and have a bunch of fighters come down on my 6..blow them away if I get a lucky shot or two :-D

Good luck and keep flying!

bird_brain
02-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Best way to take out a Betty in a Buffalo is to stay above them. Dive in at a 45 degree angle and aim for the inboard wing roots. That should start a fuel leak. Climb away, gain altitude and dive back from the other side. Aim at the same spot and you should start a fire from the leaking fuel.

That is about as good as it gets with pea-shooters against twin engine bombers of any type that have a speed advantage. If you don't have the altitude, you won't win. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

bruckm
02-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. In a buffalo it seems almost impossible to get ahead of a betty after they've dropped their bombs. If I haven't been hit, I can, but it takes soooooo long. The get above and dive down does seem good, but the shooting pass seems to go very quickly. The below attack has seemed to be the best.

I didn't know that wasa 20mm cannon. ****, no wonder. That would explain a lot! Is there not a way to silence that gun? It seems to keep firing not matter how much I shoot up the back.

x6BL_Brando
02-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Is there not a way to silence that gun?

Targetting the back end of anything gives little result, especially if you're trying to direct your fire into an area as small as a single gun position. Dead six gives the smallest possible silhouette of any. I'm entirely with B_B on this...go for height and make plunging attacks aiming for the wing roots. Use the tracer stream to direct your fire - use your throttle to prevent your dive reaching overspeed.

Head on is also good - but again try to get above the con first. Plunging fire is always the most effective.

Congrats on making ace http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

B.

bruckm
02-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks. IRL, I'd have been kicked out already for the planes I've cracked up on landing. I keep surviving, but I don't know how. It's an odd little plane. I've tried flying others in this game and in IL-2 and they seem much easier to land than this one. That includes a Bf-109 F4 with an aileron shot off! haha I died the next mission in that scenario though. I was shooting up an R-10 and someone ran in to me. I parachuted out alright and then russian ack-ack killed me!!! Go figure.

Oz_Canuck
02-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm flying the Brewster in a Finnish campaign and I would agree with all your comments, especially landing. I'm costing the Finns a packet in new landing gear.....and you've got to get in close to make a kill. It does have lots of ammo and will take a beating, tho'.
Betty's nearly always kick mt butt, as well, in the ol' P-40 or Hurricane, the dive, shoot and run tactic is best....great fun anyway! Sometimes limping back to base successfully in a failing aircraft is the most entertaining part.