PDA

View Full Version : Have a GeForce 7900 GTX yet?

ddsflyer
03-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I tried posting this on community help but got no responses. Anyone have one of these 512MB puppies running in a high-end system? If so, what drivers are you using? How is the image quality at very high (1600x1200 or better) settings? What framerates are you getting? Anyone using these in SLI?

knightflyte
03-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Sim HQ had a post about the 7900 in it's IL2 forum. It's probably a week old now, but it had a good number of replies.

ddsflyer
03-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Found it, read it. Doesn't help much. Still to early. I guess I'll have to wait for more experiences. I would really like to see an apples to apples comparison with the Nvidia 7900GTX and the ATI X1900XTX. So far FiringSquad has the only one I've seen and it is much in favor of the 7900GTX but alas, no mention of image quality comaprison.

Chivas
03-20-2006, 12:10 AM
I installed a BFG7900GTX OC a few days ago and using the latest 84.21 official drivers.

Black Death Track
Perfect setting Water=2 Forest=2 Effects=1
1024x768
85htz
4X AA
16X AF
Hiqh Quality Digital Vibrance Medium
Average 60fps
High 85fps
low 21fps

Normal flying frames per second is in the 100+ bracket. I now use vertical sync and overcourse average 85fps.

The sweet spot for my personal graphic quality and frame rates are.

BFG6800 GT OC....... BFG7900 GTX OC
1024x768.............. 1024x768
85htz ................... 85htz
Perfect................... Perfect
Water=1................. Water=2 ..............Water=3 & 4 cloud reflections flash
2X AA...................... 4X AA
2X AF..... ................ 16X AF
Quality ................. High Quality
Vertical Sync OFF....... Vertical Sync ON
no stutters.............. no stutters

I can run 1600x1200 but prefer 1024x768
The visuals are great...with either the ATI cards or Nvidia cards...but I prefer the Digital Vibrance setting and advanced mode....I could never adjust the gamma etc of the ATI cards to match Digital Vibrance...just my preference...not saying its better.

http://firingsquad.com/ is a great site to check out frames per second with video cards because they most always use Pacific Fighter or FB as a benchmark.

If you want more frames in IL-2/FB/PF then you will want an Nvidia card. What will be better for BOB...I have no idea.

The 84.21 drivers seem very good and have not seen any anomilies yet....other than with water=3 and water=4...the cloud reflections on the water flash slightly....just enough to make me run water=2

AMD64 3800+ not overclocked
2 gigs DDR 400 low latency

ddsflyer
03-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Why have a NVidia card if you cannot use Water=3? Water=2 on ATI cards looks just fine and the frame rate for comparable cards is about even if you use Water=3 for NVidia and Water=2 for ATI. I'm looking for 1600x1200 with the highest AA (6 or 8), AF doesn't really matter much in PF (so why use it if it is a frame killer anyway), and the best image quality I can get. The whole purpose of the new generation video cards is to allow running at very high resolutions with everything on. Running at low resolutions can be accomplished with much cheaper cards.

dup1969
03-20-2006, 02:36 PM
@Chivas : could you post your conf.ini ?

Thanks

Chivas
03-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ddsflyer:
Why have a NVidia card if you cannot use Water=3? Water=2 on ATI cards looks just fine and the frame rate for comparable cards is about even if you use Water=3 for NVidia and Water=2 for ATI. I'm looking for 1600x1200 with the highest AA (6 or 8), AF doesn't really matter much in PF (so why use it if it is a frame killer anyway), and the best image quality I can get. The whole purpose of the new generation video cards is to allow running at very high resolutions with everything on. Running at low resolutions can be accomplished with much cheaper cards.

I have an Nvidia card because it runs FB/PF with better frame rates than ATI cards, and I prefer Nvidias graphic qualities (especially the digital vibrance Medium setting). Like I said I can run 1600X1200 but prefer 1024/768. It can run water=3 and 4 with no frame rate problem but there is a minor cloud reflection which maybe a driver issue. It will sus that problem as time goes bye.

I've upgraded from an agp card to an SLI ready pci express card which is just the start of new system I will build over time. Until then I can run this card alone to whatever settings that please me.....

Chivas
03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by dup1969:
@Chivas : could you post your conf.ini ?

Thanks

Hi dup
My settings a pretty simple. I just select the default 6800settings, then change water=0,1,2,3,4....forests 2,or 3...to whatever settings I feel like flying. I may change forest to 2 on-line as others won't have forests 3 on. No point using trees for cover that the other person isn't going to see. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Troll2k
03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
I thought the trees were like the clouds.Every one uses the settings forced by the host settings.

What good are high resolution and max settings (unless taking a screenshot)if you can not see the thing.Give me 640x480 every time.Much easier to hit grapefruits than grapes.