PDA

View Full Version : For you Hurricane Experts

Talamir
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know how much those Tropical filters affected the top speed of the Hurricanes?

I would like to know how much speed was lost on the various Hurricane models when they put them on.

Answers, links to websites or books would be greatly appreciated.

Talamir
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know how much those Tropical filters affected the top speed of the Hurricanes?

I would like to know how much speed was lost on the various Hurricane models when they put them on.

Answers, links to websites or books would be greatly appreciated.

Waldo.Pepper
05-12-2009, 02:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/book/vikes.jpg

P.FunkAdelic
05-12-2009, 03:07 AM
I love these guys. How do you pull that out so fast?

"Lets see, hmmm... right I'll just check my Tropical RAF engine mods section in the library... yes here it is."

Lawl

Talamir
05-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Awesome, thank you very much Waldo.

Are there different tropical filters? And would it be safe to assume that they would have about the same affect on speed?

Waldo.Pepper
05-12-2009, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by P.FunkAdelic:
I love these guys. How do you pull that out so fast?

"Lets see, hmmm... right I'll just check my Tropical RAF engine mods section in the library... yes here it is."

Lawl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you only knew! But that is pretty much exactly what I did.

-----

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Talamir:
Are there different tropical filters? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. [If I was guessing, I would say that someone is having me do some basic research for a mod Spitty with a Vokes filter installed. ]

In Aboukir the locals did not like the Vokes filter and made a local extemporization that worked as well with less drag. It was accepted as standard and used service wide in later Marks of Spitfire/later years.

Here are some details -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/book/Aboukir1.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Talamir:
And would it be safe to assume that they would have about the same affect on speed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

The world is more complex than that. But in game terms if I were making the mod I would make it so that about 20kmph were knocked off, and leave it at that. It is a game and cannot model reality perfectly. There is no perfect source of info on the matter. (or on most subjects for that matter.)

Searching for hard data for this project is a good idea I suppose. But I think that it is all but a futile effort. As the published sources will be highly anecdotal and subject to a wide variety of quality. There is a wide variation of speed from one identical aircraft to another. Consider this passage from WW2 Fighter conflict by Alfred Price page 41.

-- "Simultaneously, airframes became much cleaner. The effect on maximum speed of various small changes to the airframe may be seen from the following results, obtained during a trial in 1943 with a Spitfire V: maximum speed of standard aircraft, 357 mph; with multi-ejector exhausts fitted in place of the older 'fish tail' type, plus 7 mph; with the carburettor intake ice-guard removed, plus 8 mph: with a whip radio aerial in place of the older mast-type, plus 1/2 mph; with a new type of rear-view mirror with a front fairing, plus 3 mph; with the ammunition cartridge case and link ejector chutes cut flush instead of protruding beneath the wing, plus 1 mph; with the leading edge of the wing smoothed out by stopping, rubbing down, painting and polishing, plus 6 mph; with additional polishing of the rest of the aircraft using wax, plus 3 mph. Together, these individually small changes increased the speed of the Spitfire V from 357 mph to 385.5 mph, a difference of 28.5 mph. The retractable tail wheel, fitted to later marks of the Spitfire, was worth about 4 mph at 400 mph." --

Simply washing a plane will give you a boost let alone polishing her up. It is comparatively well known that the PR Spitfires, who could have near unlimited time lavished on them, had superlative performance compared to their run of the mill line mates.

Owen Thetford in Aircraft of the Royal Air Force says this ...

"The Spitfire MkVb had a top speed of 374mph when equipped with the Vokes filter for desert service."

Where he got that from who knows.

Good luck with the project.

Choctaw111
05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Is this forum great or what? I love it here for this very reason http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Helpful and kind people...and they do it fast http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Talamir
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Thank you again Waldo. You've been a great help.

jensenpark
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I've been to Waldo's house...

Imagine a house that instead of support beams or load bearing walls, there are books. And more books. And then more books.

Then double it.

And that even before you get to the room where he keeps most of his books.