PDA

View Full Version : Is it true... ANOTHER BoB release!

Col_Tibbetts
03-11-2005, 09:37 AM
I just read that an add-on for CFS3 is planned focusing on (YOU GUESSED IT) the Battle of Britian!

What is every dev's facination with the BoB! I am so tired of it. Why not the Pacific, or the Spanish Civil War, or the Med even!

Oh and I know you will all say that Oleg plans to expand BoB to other theatres. But *cough* we waited for IL2 to be expanded into the Pacific and well, you know what happened.

Will I buy Olegs BoB? Well, yes. It will be a wonderful representation. But it would be so nice to have all of that enormous talent go to a Pacific sim right out of the gate.

I guess it is because the Pac theatre is mainly a US/UK vs. Japan senario. A Pac sim would obviously sell the best in those markets. Sadly flight sims sell terribly in the US mass market (where the BIG money is made) since it is completely addicted to those kiddie shooters like Halo and Quake. I am sure Oleg or whoever feels that a Euro centered sim would fare the best in the area that seems to respect flight sims now, namely Europe.

Too bad though. BoB is cool but it is SOOO overplayed.

Da_Godfatha
03-11-2005, 09:41 AM
If 1C and Maddox games EVER get any real competetion, they may not survive. I think the whole PF debacle really damaged them more thanthey know.

BTW, were is my Hawk 75/P-36??? Been waiting since patch 2.04!!!!!

Chuck_Older
03-11-2005, 10:08 AM
It was my understanding that MS wasn't supporting CFS3 anymore

Is this 3rd party by any chance?

Col_Tibbetts
03-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah. Its 3rd party. Here is the link. It isn't much but my point is that the BoB is overplayed.

I just think their time would be better spent adding on to PF.

http://www.ic-games.co.uk/index.php?location=1&articleid=688

Hendley
03-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Hmm, I guess I'm out of the loop or something, but I've actually never played a sim based on the BoB...

*me checks shelves of local video game shop*

Nope. No luck. Oleg's will by my first, I guess.

Chuck_Older
03-11-2005, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:
Yeah. Its 3rd party. Here is the link. It isn't much but my point is that the BoB is overplayed.

I just think their time would be better spent adding on to PF.

http://www.ic-games.co.uk/index.php?location=1&articleid=688 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

BTW, Oleg's BoB was in the works before PF, not after

lkemling
03-11-2005, 10:36 AM
BoB is being developed by Shockwave productions,Their the folks that gave us the FIREPOWER addon for CFS3 Their BoB will be a stand alone based on the old Rowans BoB sim of a few years ago.

lkemling
03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Heh! forgot about Justflights version,Methinks we're going to have the Battle of Britain comin' out of our ears!!

dgarmsd
03-11-2005, 10:51 AM
1C's Bob may be in for a fight.

Heres the link for the other BOB

http://shockwaveproductions.com/bob/

Check out the screenies & the feature list. If they deliver...Look Out. The only thing not listed is multiplayer though.

Granted we haven't seen any high res screenies of 1C's Bob with the new graphic engine, but this could be real interesting.

lkemling
03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Nope MP is not rally their forte!! Pretty much a single player scenerio!

Skycat_2
03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Ho, hummmm ...

The CFS-3 addon BoB has been out for quite a while. Look at the date of the review: November 2003.

I used to see people talk about it at SimHQ after it first came out, but you don't hear much about it now. As an early addon it had some value because it gave the player a few new flyables; now you can download similar versions of those same planes from free sites so I'd say the appeal has been greatly diminished.

Chivas
03-11-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm sure Shockwaves BOB will be good, being based on Rowans and BDG improvements, but I'd be shocked if it's even close to Oleg's BOB based on his new engine.

Tennozan
03-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I've had it for about a year and a half now. Pretty decent but there's some excellent free stuff that can match or surpass it anyway. Looking forward to Oleg's presentation of the battle.

Bull_dog_
03-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Oleg has a devout following here, but probably what is hard for him to measure is what I call secondary purchases...

By that I mean, I have bought and talked other people into buying and gave as gifts copies of FB and AEP and once PF...I myself have probably added 4 extra legitimately purchased copies of his game to other people.

PF and a few other quirks with certain favorite aircraft of mine that he won't fix will not stop me from buying BoB...cause I have enough money to buy and experiment...but if he doesnt produce a good product that keeps me interested or if my favorite aircraft gets the short end of the modelling stick, or some feature like online play, mission building etc doesnt meet the grade...he will lose the other four sales etc....

He has the best sim, and competition tends to make one better, but he still has to step up to the plate every day and deliver a knock out punch or someone will sneak up...these other sims are just examples... I, although I don't speak for all people, will likely buy most every promising sim out there just because I like flying ww2 combat sims so much and I will fly and promote the one that I like the best.... I just wonder how many others are similar to me and how does that affect the profitability of Olegs sim?

Chivas
03-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Oleg has a passion for Combat Flight Sims and controls the company that produces them, as opposed to Microsoft which highers their producers who in the end have much less control over the final product. Until we have another producer with a passion for flight sims, I see no competion for Oleg.

We can never have the perfect flight sim until we have the perfect computer.

darkhorizon11
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
I feel for Firepower, 1C, and the other teams that are pushed by the big companies. I've heard Oleg sometimes works 16 hour days to pump out these patches and games everyone whines for.

The thing that bugs me about BoB is evident in PF. The game is inherently unfinished. Theres so many more planes that were ready to get in the game but didn't make it in (okay they ran out of space). But a lot of other features and inaccurate flight models that needed fixing that would've really made the game something great.

I mean really the big points that PF has over FB and AEP are more planes, a couple little options (like opening the canopies on some planes and tailhooks), carriers, and extra maps.

This isn't too much for a stand-alone game.

Anyways most of the reviews I read for PF say the game has so much potential but falls short because it was so rushed. After this next patch with even more planes and the new three maps as well as new clouds, ground objects visible from further away, and other tweaking that will truly make the game great. The problem is that to a sell game it really needs to be awesome right away, as that first impression is everything.

Case in point, I just wish that the Maddox team have more time to finish their games and do it right the first time. Hopefully they'll learn these lessons from PF and BoB will be done to perfection. Even it takes an extra 6 months like this patch now is taking. I'd rather only have one long wait then, one shorter wait only for some disappointment, and then a series of waits that fix the problems.

Maybe what I'm asking for is impossible... but we can always hope.

lkemling
03-11-2005, 12:31 PM
As I've said in the past,No more pre-ordering for me,I'll sit back and watch and evaluate the sims,While I'll most likely purchase the Shockwave and Olegs product I have lost all interest in any combat flight sim put out in Billyboy's playpen.

darkhorizon11
03-11-2005, 12:49 PM
And yes a SCW or Mediteranean for even SE Asia Japan China Burma Thai early war theater would be awesome!

Battle of Britain however was different. Although the Japanese were the first to really use aircraft on a large scale this usage was nothing compared to the Battle of Britain and the blitz. Prior to BoB aircraft had been used conservatively never more than 100 to 200 at a time.

Shift forward to that dark summer of 1940, the LW hurled literally over a thousand aircraft at her majesties island at once. If I remember correctly on a couple of the raids German aircraft covered a plane of airspace of nearly 100 square miles. The fear and respect this generated for the airplane after the series of engagements we call the battle of Britain has been unparalleled. It can almost as prominent as the British massacre of the Zulu warriors with their rifles over spears and shields in the late 19th century or the introduction of the machine gun during the American Civil War.

Even today the introduction of Stealth aircraft or the use of satellites for intelligence and spying can't be compared to the radical effect the aircraft had warfare during the Battle of Britain. Of course the devastation of these raids was nothing compared to the strategic bombing campaign of the RAF over Europe and the USAAF over Japan, but it was definetly and eye opener and paved the way for modern warfare.

Case in point, thats why so many remember the Battle of Britain, it made the aircraft a pivotal weapon for winning wars. Its also humbling to see this as Britain's worst and greatest hour. Where and empire that once dominated the oceans and continents was quite literally brought to its knees.

GT182
03-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Did you ever stop and think that once Oleg gets 1C's BoB finished and out on the market, we might get more for PF. Quit being a Doubting Thomas guys. Good things come to those that can wait....patiently. Same applied to FB. He could have a change of heart and give us more... just be patient, time will tell.

And don't rush the addon patch. Let them do it right so we don't have to hear all the b*tchin about it when we finally get it.

darkhorizon11
03-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Its not a whine its the truth. I also would rather wait for the game to be completed then get a half done version with 5 consecutive patches.

EURO_Snoopy
03-11-2005, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Col_Tibbetts:
I just read that an add-on for CFS3 is planned focusing on (YOU GUESSED IT) the Battle of Britian!

What is every dev's facination with the BoB! I am so tired of it. Why not the Pacific, or the Spanish Civil War, or the Med even!

Oh and I know you will all say that Oleg plans to expand BoB to other theatres. But *cough* we waited for IL2 to be expanded into the Pacific and well, you know what happened.

Will I buy Olegs BoB? Well, yes. It will be a wonderful representation. But it would be so nice to have all of that enormous talent go to a Pacific sim right out of the gate.

I guess it is because the Pac theatre is mainly a US/UK vs. Japan senario. A Pac sim would obviously sell the best in those markets. Sadly flight sims sell terribly in the US mass market (where the BIG money is made) since it is completely addicted to those kiddie shooters like Halo and Quake. I am sure Oleg or whoever feels that a Euro centered sim would fare the best in the area that seems to respect flight sims now, namely Europe.

Too bad though. BoB is cool but it is SOOO overplayed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When complaining about the apparent deluge of BOB sims please remember Maddox1c announced theirs in Oct 2003, which pretty much put them first on the starter blocks even if release will be the last.

dvergur
03-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi all.

Have you thought about the possibility that we really have a lot of Trojan horses on this forum, that is, individuals with ties to the other Combat sim makers ?!

...just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

HL: yamit

darkhorizon11
03-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Actually I think Rowan released a BoB game like three or four years ago before everybody... I never played it but I hear it boasted missions with like 1000+ planes.

Rola.
03-14-2005, 03:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
Prior to BoB aircraft had been used conservatively never more than 100 to 200 at a time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"Never say never" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Luftwaffe mustered over 400 bombers to conduct the operation "Wasserkante", the airstrike on Warsaw, on September 25th, 1939.

Before that there were sending air groups with almost two hundred bombers to level the city, like on September 13th - or even as early as on September 1st (afternoon), when nearly 200 bombers (He 111H, Ju 87B) & fighters (Bf 109D, Bf 110C) were intercepted by Pursuit Brigade (~40 PZL P.7 & P.11 fighers).

Of course the September 1939 (http://www.9-1939.pl) campaign cannot compare with the greater scale of Battle of Britain, but it was nevertheless big enough for us gamers to get a lot of action (and with its medium size is more "suitable" for the processing power of today's computers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) And add to it a lot of ground support sorties, which won't be so common in BOB... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Lewicide
03-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Rowan's original BoB when it was released, was quite a good product (but needed paching, surprise). It featured limited flyable aircraft and only had bomber gunner positions mannable (couldn't fly them except the Stuka). Had complex engine management and start up for it's time and quite FM and good graphics. You could have many many AC airborn at once, possibly hundreds but it could really do your framerates. It had concentrated more on the strategic side as well.

I suspect that shockwaves version will probably stick to most aspects of the original formula and engine with vastly improved graphics. This would make it a completely different beast to Oleg's BoB and no challenge for online play.

I will definately buy Olegs BoB and may buy Shockwaves as they will be different things.

And no, I'm not a Trojan horse, no soldiers luking inside last time I checked http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Cheers

darkhorizon11
03-14-2005, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rola.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
Prior to BoB aircraft had been used conservatively never more than 100 to 200 at a time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"Never say never" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Luftwaffe mustered over 400 bombers to conduct the operation "Wasserkante", the airstrike on Warsaw, on September 25th, 1939.

Before that there were sending air groups with almost two hundred bombers to level the city, like on September 13th - or even as early as on September 1st (afternoon), when nearly 200 bombers (He 111H, Ju 87B) & fighters (Bf 109D, Bf 110C) were intercepted by Pursuit Brigade (~40 PZL P.7 & P.11 fighers).

Of course the http://www.9-1939.pl campaign cannot compare with the greater scale of Battle of Britain, but it was nevertheless big enough for us gamers to get a lot of action (and with its medium size is more "suitable" for the processing power of today's computers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif) And add to it a lot of ground support sorties, which won't be so common in BOB... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touche! You caught me on not checking my sources. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

But the BoB was the first time they had been used with such sustained destruction and completely independant of ground forces. The Japanese were the first to use bombers to plow the way for infantry. The Germans upped the anti a little bit in Poland, then France. But still, to compliment the infantry.

Even Warsaw, which was bombed by 400 LW planes on Sept. 25th as you pointed out Rolla was just being softened up for the Wehrmacht to roll through.

The purpose of the attacks of London, Dover, and the other southern cities, in the late Fall of 1940 amounted to nothing more than terror and harassment. Their purpose was to destroy the homes and lives of civilians themselves with the hope that their fighting spirit would be broken. Operation Sealion, the German invasion of the Southern England which was originally planned for Sept 6th had been postponed for at least a year and a half when it was assumed the Soviet Union would have be conquered and all forces could be concentrated on Great Britain. Even if Sealion had been successful and on time (which is doubtful) it probably would have been weeks before the Wehrmacht reached London.

My point is that the Battle of Britain was in no way linked or dependant to the maneuvers or strikes of ground forces. But rather the first strategic and independent use of aircraft in battle in a large scale.