PDA

View Full Version : Copy protection question

RampagingRook
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
So I bought CM11 and when I got it home, I noticed a small yellow square that says...

Notice: This game contains technology intended to prvent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives.

I haven't opened the game yet, so I can still return it. Here's the problem...I spent $30 on my DVD burner, $40 on Alcohol 120% and $40 on CM11. Of the three, CM11 is the only optional one, so if there's even a chance that it won't work on my system (or worse yet, make changes to my system) then UBI has lost a sale. I love PC gaming, but it really pisses me off that publishers hassle PAYING customers for no good reason...if I wanted to pirate the game, I could do so within the hour, so really, why hassle your customers?

What I'm trying to figure out is what protection scheme it's using (SafeDisc, SecuROM, etc.), whether it will make any system changes and whether anyone using a virtual drive has experienced issues.

SSBN617
11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
The yellow tag is the exact same one that was on CM10. It's copy protection and shouldn't bother you unless you intend on copying the disk, which there should be no need for. The DVD does not need to be in the drive so there isn't much need for a back up copy. There obviously is a need for protection, otherwise companies wouldn't invest millions in developing it. the game is a good one and at 40 bucks it's a bargain in my opinion. I suggest just enjoying it and not worrying about copy protection.

RampagingRook
11-15-2007, 09:54 PM
"Don't worry about it" doesn't really answer the question. There's nothing illegal about virtual drives (or making a backup copy, for that matter), so I guess I'll return it.

And you say there's a need for protection, but obviously it's ineffective, because it's been available from Day 1. Again, all it really does is hassle real customers.

KHollister
11-16-2007, 03:51 AM
When you say you're worried about Chessmaster 11 "making changes to your system", what exactly are you referring to?

The copy protection scheme may prevent you from copying or (at worst) running the game, but it won't affect anything else.

And while there's nothing illegal about a virtual drive or making a backup copy, if you don't need the DVD after initial installation, then I don't see your problem...

SSBN617
11-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Exactly, A virtual drive is typically used when a DVD is needed in the drive. A backup isn't needed unless you want to store a copy at your friends house http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif.

ForrestGT
11-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi u all,

u're not answering the question, well let's say that the copy protection is among the little few positive things about CMXI. In terms that u don't have to keep the DVD into the drive, and it doesn't bother u about vitual drives. In my opinion the guys made a wise choice on this metter. Now since the online play had never been among CM strenghs, the only thing that's left for this game to be somehow "good" is a patch to fix the number of buggs discovered right away.

taraboste
11-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by ForrestGT:
Hi u all,

u're not answering the question, well let's say that the copy protection is among the little few positive things about CMXI. In terms that u don't have to keep the DVD into the drive, and it doesn't bother u about vitual drives. In my opinion the guys made a wise choice on this metter. Now since the online play had never been among CM strenghs, the only thing that's left for this game to be somehow "good" is a patch to fix the number of buggs discovered right away.

Do you know at least one? Or we are only talking here for the sake of discussion! OK, you have now the red light on you...

ForrestGT
11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi taraboste,

Do you know at least one? Or we are only talking here for the sake of discussion! OK, you have now the red light on you...

is it u asking?...I was talking about the ones u discussed in other posts, where u said among other things that "it will be fixed with the next patch".
That for I do find your comment saying : "do u know at least one?" a little bit out of place, and so, no "discussion for the sake of discussion" was intended.

taraboste
11-16-2007, 09:11 AM
You didn't understood at all: do you personally found a bug? Do you have something that had stooped you to play the game? There is something wrong with the protection that affects your computer behavior? I mean not words, not suppositions, but only facts! Try to be more specific and talk about what is happening to you, instead of collect what others say.

ForrestGT
11-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi taraboste,

I got it now, the thing is your attitude is so unusual buddy...having someone realy lisning in real time on a game forum I'(we) am(are) just not used to it.

To get back to the game, the 2 buggs that I've spotted and do really annoy me are the desapearing promoted pieces and the abscence of the anti-aliasing fonction on the board setting menu. For this last one switching on AA on the GC setting doesn't really fix it (not permanent), and besides it would have been far more switable if it was directly implemented in the game setting menu like in CMX. No need to say that without it the boards look really ugly and it's, for sure, a complete waste.

You can add also the shortcut menues which are like ended with a vertical line (tangent to their round shaped "natural" limit). running it on a X850 Pro with latest drivers.

Concerning the copy protection, from what I've seen so far, it looks perfect to me, and for me it's the way a chess game copy protection should go. Since chessplayers love playing chess like forever (unlike the other types of games), it would be realy annoying if the dvd had to be all the time in the drive.

And again, tkx for listning. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EdwardsNH
11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Yikes, talk about fanboy answers that don't address your question.

"And while there's nothing illegal about a virtual drive or making a backup copy, if you don't need the DVD after initial installation, then I don't see your problem..."

OK, great, but his point is, he has a DVD burner, and he has Alcohol, will this affect his ability to load and/or play CM11? It's a legit question, as previous CMs wouldn't even install if you had a cd burner! (See my previous post for a very long rant on copy protection only being a pain in the *** for honest customers and not stopping piracy one bit. Hell, the music industry is just now starting to realize how bad DRM just bit them in their own tucas)

/rant

I have a DVD burner and Virtual Daemon, AND CM plays fine on my computer.

"(or worse yet, make changes to my system)" Ok, I gotta agree, and I'm ashamed to say, I can't say for sure it doesn't. Spybot didn't warn me of any registry changes.

Also might I just say while I'm here... It is fantastic. I feel like I'm stealing something 'cause I just paid $40 for it. The lessons alone are worth it. All lessons should be based on the way Josh does these (although the new "Art of Learning" section seems like a bunch of fluff.) I'm working through them now with my 10 year old, and she is learning so much so fast, I'm thrilled.

I just wish the DS version wasn't so flawed (again, see my earlier DS Review post)