PDA

View Full Version : IL2 in Widescreen (yes, again)

JettLagg
12-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I've been running IL2 on my 22" 1680 x 1050 (16/10 A/R) - nice. I now have the opportunity to get a 27" monitor at a good price. My concern is that it has 16/9 A/R and therefore I may not be able to get a 'true picture' (ie end up with dumpy or elongated aircraft/instruments/landsacape/whatever).

Surely there's someone out there running a 16/9 monitor. Can you confirm whether or not I can get a distortion free picture?

thefruitbat
12-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes you can.

however, sans fov changer is the only way.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...9310655/m/4991066657 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4991066657)

i've been using it for a year and a half now.

you can get the latest and best version of it here,

http://www.mediafire.com/?huwnmmmmgvy

or get it from his site here,

http://il2fovchanger.byethost7.com/

stelr
12-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a 27" running at 1920 x 1200 in full screen.

I got this to run w/o stretching buy going into the "conf" file and under the first set of settings "[Window]" change the "width" value to your desired setting. In my case that was 1920.

Then change the "height" setting to your desired value. In my case that was 1200.

Then ensure the "EnableResize" and SaveAspect" are both set to 0. I had to change one of them, but can't remember which.

Save changes and restart the game. When it launches, the splash screen will have the black lines on left and right, but when you go to the actual ingame screen you should get a full screen again at the resolution you selected.

If you ever open the "il2setup" file again, you settings will automatically go back to default, but you can go back and change them again in the "conf" file.

Hope this works for you.

RAF74_Raptor
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I finally got it running I am running triplehead2go in 5040 1080 reso.

Im digging it

Dacripler
12-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I have mine set at 1600x900 on my Asus G72 notebook and to be honest the views are pretty but it limits my views while dog fighting in a closed pit 109/190

I'm back flying again after a four or more so years and I remember the best setting for this game is a 4:3 or a 5:4 ratio to maximize your views while flying.. I went for a few turn and burn matches with some old squaddies and I quickly found that my 1600x900 was severely limiting my views while scanning forward and up on my hat switch,(I'm not a IR guy sorry))and I was welcomed with a horizontal cockpit bar that never seemed to disappear while turning and scissoring with my opponents. I lost many fights today simply because I just could not track them effectively. (Lose sight/lose the fight)

I had to go back to the lower, (native game aspect ratio's) In order to "see" the game the way it's meant to be seen.

I can play the game at a higher resolution on my Samsung 25" TV but it's a hassle to hook it up to this notebook to get the larger picture. So all I do now is to lower my resolution's and get the ugly black bars on both sides of my screen.

It may be a little ugly, but you will notice a remarkable change in your situational awareness when you are flying the game with its native ratios.

(I have an Asus G-72 notebook and it has plenty of "umph" for the game but its 16:9 ratio has gotten me into serious flying problems. If you are one that is an open pit guy or one that flies with a TIR it will not make a difference what screen you fly but I can guarantee it makes a difference with the locked pit and hat switch views. )

Stiletto-
12-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Dacripler:
I have mine set at 1600x900 on my Asus G72 notebook and to be honest the views are pretty but it limits my views while dog fighting in a closed pit 109/190

I'm back flying again after a four or more so years and I remember the best setting for this game is a 4:3 or a 5:4 ratio to maximize your views while flying.. I went for a few turn and burn matches with some old squaddies and I quickly found that my 1600x900 was severely limiting my views while scanning forward and up on my hat switch,(I'm not a IR guy sorry))and I was welcomed with a horizontal cockpit bar that never seemed to disappear while turning and scissoring with my opponents. I lost many fights today simply because I just could not track them effectively. (Lose sight/lose the fight)

I had to go back to the lower, (native game aspect ratio's) In order to "see" the game the way it's meant to be seen.

I can play the game at a higher resolution on my Samsung 25" TV but it's a hassle to hook it up to this notebook to get the larger picture. So all I do now is to lower my resolution's and get the ugly black bars on both sides of my screen.

It may be a little ugly, but you will notice a remarkable change in your situational awareness when you are flying the game with its native ratios.

(I have an Asus G-72 notebook and it has plenty of "umph" for the game but its 16:9 ratio has gotten me into serious flying problems. If you are one that is an open pit guy or one that flies with a TIR it will not make a difference what screen you fly but I can guarantee it makes a difference with the locked pit and hat switch views. )

I'm sorry but I do not believe this is true. I am not sure what kind of problem you are having, it may have to do with the "dots" running at high resolutions and lowering your res to see them better, it can crispen up vehicles and aircraft at distances.. There really is no difference running a wider FOV compared to a narrower one with the same vertical resolution.

Noticed how I said verticle, 1024x768 will look the same as 1360x768, all the game is doing is adding the side pixles on a monitor with a wider aspect. There is one issue though, the game sets the FOV in the vertical hemisphere instead of the more common horizontal. This means when running a wider monitor, it doesnt take into account that you have a wider horizontal FOV with your 16:9 monitor and it will keep the same horizontal FOV and effectively blow up the picture and crop off the top and bottom.

I think this is where most people have problems, you can either set a wider vertical FOV in IL-2 by default (which will also widen the horisontal view as well) in the menu to correct this, or use as mentioned, Sans FOV Changer.

Dacripler
12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
"Yes" its true as it was proven with the DEV team and Oleg.

Several years back someone on this forum posted a picture inside of a cockpit of a ME109 at different aspect ratios.

It proved that the maximum effect is best viewed at a 4:3 and a 5:4 ratio(s)where the others were disallowing effective fov within the limits of the HAT switch.

I don't know how you can set the wider fov for the 16:9, 8:5, 25:16 ratios in this game other than adding another mod such as SAN FOV changer. I wish the developers created a setting where I was capable of tweeking the fov within the game menu so that it would resemble the 4:3 aspect while I'm at a DIFFERENT aspect ratio.

I would love to be capable to pan back that extra 5-15 degrees in the 16:9 but I can't without the SANS FOV or from what you say is to change the wider vertical fov.

Where is this setting?

Where did you say this setting is other than the obvious pan forward/back within game settings?

Thanks and this game has been it's a great adventure since I remember flying the game back in Dec '01!

Lurch1962
12-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Dacripler is correct. The game always bases its FOV setting on the HORIZONTAL axis.Therefore when the aspect is wider than 4:3, some of the FOV at both the top and bottom is clipped. This impacts situational awareness, the more so the wider the aspect.

I don't know what SANS FOV changer does specifically, but I suspect it also bases the FOV on the horizontal dimension, but overcomes the 'vertical limitation' by allowing a wider-than-90 deg. horizontal FOV. Simple as that.

Personally, I find a 90 deg. horizontal FOV quite adequate, and so I therefore prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio because it maximizes the number of square degrees encompassed by the view. To reiterate, If I'm not using a utility to obtain more than a 90 deg. horizontal angle, I'm not willing to sacrifice vertical extent by expanding the horizontal just so as to obtain the widescreen experience with its losses at top and bottom.

Stiletto-
12-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Dacripler:
I would love to be capable to pan back that extra 5-15 degrees in the 16:9 but I can't without the SANS FOV or from what you say is to change the wider vertical fov.

Where is this setting?

Where did you say this setting is other than the obvious pan forward/back within game settings?

I find the 80 or 85 FOV to be the most preferable in the 16:9 format, so I set this to my joystick HAT as the back hat button, and then I set the gunsight fov as the forward hat button, so you just have to press back once when the mission loads to get the desired FOV and then you can go back and forth to the gunsight and "normal" view without having to pan through all the views.

Is that what you are asking?

Originally posted by Lurch1962:
Dacripler is correct. The game always bases its FOV setting on the HORIZONTAL axis.Therefore when the aspect is wider than 4:3, some of the FOV at both the top and bottom is clipped. This impacts situational awareness, the more so the wider the aspect.

If the game went by horizontal FOV and not vertical FOV, it would see that there are more horizontal pixels available on a widescreen display and expand the sides when running a wider monitor. By default, it keeps the horizontal view the same as before and cuts the tops and bottoms off. Thus the vertical FOV is narrow by default and the horizontal FOV is the same.

Either way, you can widen the FOV up so that the vertical view is similar to that of a standard 4:3 display and thus, the horizontal fov being much wider.

A screen is just a canvas after all..

Lurch1962
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Stiletto,
Some of what you wrote is indeed correct, but it seems you *may* be misinterpreting how IL-2 sets the FOV, which I'll try to clarify by way of example...

Let's say we have two displays running the at the 90 deg. FOV:
- 1600 X 1200 (4:3)
- 1920 X 1080 (16:9)

In both cases IL-2 sets the 90 deg. FOV based on the horizontal dimension. Therefore, to a first approximation (neglecting for the moment the correct tangential projection math--see below):

- 1600 X 1200 = 90 X 67.5 deg.
- 1920 X 1080 = 90 X 50.6 deg.

Now, suppose with the 1920 X 1080 monitor you set up in conf.ini an aspect such as 540 X 1080. In other words, you make the horizontal display 1/2 as wide as the height. (And by the way, this can be done, with W-I-D-E black bars appearing at the right and left.) Now you'd get (and again, neglecting the correct math):

- 540 X 1080 = 90 X 180 deg.

If you doubt that IL-2 is basing the FOV on the horizontal dimension, try this last example based on your specific vertical screen dimension; it will be illuminating.

The foregoing neglected some math for the sake of simplicity. But as the last example showed, this can result in outlandish results for wider angles. You're never going to get a full 180 deg. FOV for any dimension with the gnomonic projection as used this and all other flight sims. So here's the correct formula for the vertical angle when the display dimensions and the horizontal FOV's angular width are known:

vertFOV = 2 * ARCTAN [TAN(horizFOV/2) * vertPIX/horizPIX]

where:
vertFOV is the vertical FOV,
horizFOV is the horizontal FOV,
vertPIX is the display height (e.g., 1080 for a 1920 X 1080), and
horizPIX is the display width (e.g., 1920 for a 1920 X 1080).

Now for the *proper* results at the widest native FOV of 90 degrees:

- 4:3 = 90 X 73.7 deg.
- 16:10 = 90 X 64 deg.
- 16:9 = 90 X 58.7 deg.

And finally, for the example where the display is made twice as high as the width via conf.ini:

- 540 X 1080 pixels = 90 X 126.9 deg.

The reason one could never achieve a 180 deg. FOV is because the tangential projection of the gnomonic has the linear width rapidly approach infinity as the half-angle approaches 90 degrees, as can be seen with the trigonometric TANGENT function.

Cheers!

Dacripler
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
WOW!!! 15 degrees is a lot to lose while in a 16:9 vs. 4:3.

I knew it was limiting but not by that much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

~ thanks for the informative post

JettLagg
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Loads of good info here, thanks all.

But I'm a simple soul. I set up 16:9 A/R on my 22" Sammy and compared it (subjectively) against the native 16:10. I figured I lost too much vertically; even though TrackIR compensated to some degree.

Looking at what's around, it appears most monitors are going 16:9. There are still a few of the usual suspects around with 16:10, but few above 24".

Ended up with a 26" 1920 x 1200 which is a good compromise. Very happy so far: good size (not TOO big) and those pesky bogey "dots" are reasonably easy to see (probably easier than my 1680 x 1050 Sammy).

Dacripler
01-07-2011, 04:41 PM
^^ The dots are easy to see at all aspects but I'm talking about the whole plane while in a dogfight. They can be obstructed while panning with the hat switch up, down or side-to-side.

By missing an important cue of which direction the other plane is flying it can cost me my life because I have to guess where it is going rather than being capable of knowing where it is going.

It's a life or death situation where and I've seen way too many in 16:9 while flying in a 109/190 closed pit.

Stiletto-
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Lurch I very much agree with what you are saying and your math. All I am saying is that IL-2 keeps the horizontal FOV constant and the Vertical FOV the variable, when switching aspect ratios.

What I fail to understand is why people don't use the wider FOV's available in the games assignable key menus to correct their FOV's to their liking. With the 2nd widest or widest field of view setting in game, you get an experience very close to what the 4:3 aspect would be, but with the expanded sides in use. Or use San's IL2 changer if you don't like IL-2's choices.

Crash_Moses
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Because, I believe, even in the widest native FOV there is an area at the top and bottom of the screen that would normally be visible on a 4:3 monitor but that requires someone with a 16:9 monitor to use the hat switch (or keyboard if such is the case) in order to see.

I believe that for those using TIR this is less of an issue but can be distracting for someone using a hatswitch and/or keyboard for their views.

For me, personally, the issue is visibility of the gauges. On my old 4:3 monitor I could see all of the guages in the widest native FOV which is where I do most of my flying. On my 16:9 monitor San's FOV changer is the only way I can keep all my instruments in view.

TheFamilyMan
01-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:
For me, personally, the issue is visibility of the gauges. On my old 4:3 monitor I could see all of the guages in the widest native FOV which is where I do most of my flying. On my 16:9 monitor San's FOV changer is the only way I can keep all my instruments in view. +1

I will be SO HAPPY to get rid of these pesky FOV issues when SoW:BoB (or whatever it gets called) comes out. Thankfully RoF and FSX got it right.

Stiletto-
01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
With the widest in game FOV, you actually do see more top and bottom than with the default 4:3 FOV. I guess if you like to use the widest FOV possible in 4:3 mode to view all of your gauges at once you are SOL with a 16:9 or 16:10 setup. I have no use for that wide of a field of view, so thus I will gladly take the extra horizontal real estate on the sides of the screens http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif