PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Languages

bugmen1910
08-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi,

does Assassin's Creed comes in diffrent languages?

If Yes, does it comes in Italian, text and spoken, like the very good translation of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (Luca Ward Rulez) or the Prince of Persia Trilogy?

GG

THX for your answer(s).

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Lhorkan
08-06-2006, 07:24 PM
We don't know yet, sorry. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif It's still a year 'till release, anyway.

Legendary_111
08-06-2006, 08:10 PM
No confirmation was made on that subject...it's still a mystery. We just have to wait.

entropy777
08-07-2006, 07:33 AM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">Well the only question you can ask yourself is why on earth would you want it to come in a different language, except of course the option to get it in Arabic speech with English subtitles to make the experience more authentic...

Dubbing games is kinda useless, theres enough people who can't speak english as it is without having the games changed to the persons native tongue to ensure that they really won't learn anything.

Personally I would be embarassed if the game was dubbed in my language, because frankly, my country is an intellectual sesspool, packed with morons and imbeciles... Learn to speak english, and any other language you find amusing, the more you know about things the better, it's not hard to learn a new language, just takes a bit of time... So don't be so damn lazy!</span>

etothevizzle
08-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by entropy777:
<span class="ev_code_GREY">Dubbing games is kinda useless, theres enough people who can't speak english as it is without having the games changed to the persons native tongue to ensure that they really won't learn anything.</span>

i like it when gameas come in different languages...especially in spanish so i can study for my tests

terminalShock09
08-07-2006, 11:07 AM
There are people in other countries who like to play video games... Not just english speaking countries. If it comes in another language, great. If not, fine. Just relax, entropy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

entropy777
08-07-2006, 12:53 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">The whole world is an english speaking country, apart from the third world countries but they really don't have to worry since they can't afford any food, let alone games...

If there is anything more sad than 25000 people dying every day, it's people who have the chance to learn something, but are too stupid to actually do so.

If they are being taught english in schools, but they skip school for whatever reason and don't learn it, then they don't deserve any fun anyway.</span>

terminalShock09
08-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I do have to agree with you on the general basis that it is sad when people turn down learning when it's so readily available.

However.

Plenty of people are smart enough to learn a second language, but just choose something more relevant to their lives than english. True, it is the most widely spoken language. Are people stupid because they play Japanese games translated into english? Besides, what's so awful about giving some number of translators a job?

DarkDeath_470
08-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Well, i know alot of people that know english and a second language and are much better with their native language than english. I can see how getting the game in their stronger language would be much better for them if they can understand it better. It isn't sad at all that games are made in more than one language.

simulacra
08-08-2006, 07:59 AM
All dubbing is sad, recently I visited france and I had a hell of a time being understood no matter how simple the question was.
And we're not talking about some country far away, we're talking about one of the central countries in europe.
Dubbing is the main reason for countries like germany, france, italy and spain have a low proficiency in english, no english spoken tv is the reason for most adults forgetting about the english language

I wasn't all that good in school, I couldn't tell an verb from a adjective at gun point (not really but you get my point) but I still got high grades in english,
why? because of endless hours of watching english spoken tv and later on, english spoken games, and I'm far from being the only one here in sweden that knows adequate english more from different media than school.

Lhorkan
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Yep, you learn a lot from television/games. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Keksus
08-08-2006, 08:47 AM
[b][color:GREY]The whole world is an english speaking country, apart from the third world countries but they really don't have to worry since they can't afford any food, let alone games...

Italy, Germany, Russia, Spain. just to give you a few examples http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

The native language in this countrys isn't english. Well, i can understand games in english, but i understand them much better in my native language

IoNoobMaster
08-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I uderstand games beter in English than in my one language
and plus in romania almost every body knows english so no problem there... Let the ppl from ubi decide on the language and let us concentrate on other aspects of the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

entropy777
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">So you know people who understand english but speak better in their native tongue... Am I the only one who sees the irony in that?
If they speak english bad, then they should be around alot of english so they learn it better and eventually they'll become good at speaking it...

My little brother wore a T-shirt the other day, it read
</span><span class="ev_code_GREEN">"If you don't like Daim, don't worry, you probably can't read this anyway."</span><span class="ev_code_GREY"> He showed this to his girlfriend, who is 15 years old by the way, and asked her to read it...

And guess what, she just stared blankly at it and avoided awnsering the question.
When he told me about it I honestly didn't believe him at first, I thought he was just kidding, but he wasn't... It's amazing how someone can be so incredibly blonde, really there isn't a more suitable word for it.

A middle-class kid who can't even read a fairly common english sentence, and these are the people who are supposed to be our future?

You see Bush now, and these people are the next generation of leaders in the world, we'll all be dead within 50 years http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif Congratulations you unedjucated bunch of ******s.

Getting back on topic: Games are a great way of teaching people things, I know Spanish people, Italian people, Russian people and German people...
To be honest the russians and the germans have no trouble with english, alot of russians can't speak english, but those who can, speak very well...

Italy and Spain dub everything, I went to Mallorca and they had Digimon and Robin Hood in Catalan, (I laughed for hours)

Not alot of people there speak english because of it, same with Italy, I know an italian girl and before she met me she hadn't used english for over 2 years, I mean seriously, two whole years...
The more people are exposed to a language, the more they learn...</span>

terminalShock09
08-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Entropy777, just out of curiosity, what country are you from?

You have a good point about english games helping people in their usage of the language, but I still believe that not everyone has to learn english. Agree to disagree... I guess I should just be content that my native tongue is becoming the world language. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

And about that Bush being elected thing... You can imagine my disappointment when 48% of my normally liberal state voted for him. Again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

DarkDeath_470
08-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Well, Entropy, the only thing i can really say is not to buy dubbed stuff if it disapoints you so much. English is not the only language in the world, but if you think that you can change that and convince Ubisoft to not make a game in any other language other than in english and that every other person in the entire world that wants to play AC needs to lear English, one of the most dificult languages to be taught, then by all means try. But at the moment, it is Unisoft's choice whether it will be made in another language.

entropy777
08-08-2006, 04:47 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">My native tongue is not english, I'll say that much, really embarassing to admit to where Im from however.

I can speak 6 different languages and I can understand 8 different languages.

As far as english being hard to teach, thats a lie, english is the easiest language to teach... Try teaching someone Arabic (any of the different kinds of arabic), or maybe Chinese...
Those languages are far more difficult to learn, did you know that the chinese have the same word for:

A fish bowl, a lamp bowl, a rope, guiding princible, key link, taxonomy class, outline and program?

The difference lies in the tone of your voice when you say it.

It's not like learning a new language is hard, it just takes a bit of time, time well spent if you ask me.</span>

Fates.Dark.Hand
08-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Persanaly, i'd love to learn a new Language, everone these days knows English, more and more bands are begining to use their "home" Language. I'm Welsh, but cannot speek a word of it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif i know more German than i do Welsh, but both are hard, and teaching your self German is easyer than getting tault Welsh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif i'd eat my hat on the day i see Assassins Creed Welsh Version http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

DarkDeath_470
08-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I said one of the hardest, and it certainly is not one of the easiest. I am not disagreeing with you saying that passing up the chance to learn a language but you cant expect everyone to pick one language and learn it for games. If Chinese was the world's major language, i probably wouldnt learn it because i would rather learn German or something because i would expect to go to Germany more than China. I could then only hope that the Chinese would dub their games into English (being my native tongue) and live a happy life. I wouldnt learn Chinese just for the sake of games and movies seeing as we would most likely have them in the USA.

Keksus
08-08-2006, 08:29 PM
@entropy

I have no bigge rproblems with english. But in a game. I want to understand the story. whats why i play them the first time, with my native language.

Whats wrong with that? For sure, english is a language wich is psoken in many countrys. But shoul i have to spend every time i have, to learn english? I think not. In my freetime i don't want to translate so much. I just want to have fun.

entropy777
08-08-2006, 08:40 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">Why do you think english is the global language? It's not because they flipped a coin, so you can rule out that theory...
And it's not because the english and the americans started crying and everyone told them they could have it just to make them stop whining.

It's because it's an easy language to learn for anyone, no matter what language is their native one.
Sure, it might have something to do with politics, but they would never chose chinese as the global language, because it's too complicated, not even the chinese know how to speak the whole language... They only know a small part of it.

It doesn't matter if you're german, spanish, greece or american, everyone can learn english very quickly...

And with a dub the whole feeling of the game goes lost, you don't want to hear some 2-bit actor who can't get a real acting job, try to be cool infront of the microphone but end up sounding like a moron, that just doesn't cut it.

And what do you mean spend every time you have to learn english, you would already know it if you'd gone to school once in a while... A wise man once said

"We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong, the amount of work is the same"

That fits in here too, the only way for someone thats, lets say 13 years old, to not be able to speak proper english, is if the person in question really focused and put alot of effort into </span><span class="ev_code_RED">NOT</span><span class="ev_code_GREY"> learning english...</span>

GodzillaMonster
08-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Hey Entropy777

It's cool you find languages easy to learn, but that is not always the case, and many gamers grew into adulthood before English became so widespread.

You have admitted you are ashamed of your own culture. You shun it and have adopted English as a language and are promoting it (here at least) as the only option for the sane individual.

However, others are equally proud of their own culture and language, and enjoy its nuances, and would prefer to play games in that language.

Multi-language software and internet use is actually on the RISE due to increased availability of operating systems and software packages that support other languages.

DarkDeath_470
08-09-2006, 07:13 AM
English is FAR from easy to learn and teach. Try explaining why Read is the same in past tense and future tense or why PH can make the F sound. You need to get it into your head that just because you found it somewhat easy doesnt mean that the entire world does. English is not the world language, it is the world's BUSINESS language. That means that big companies use English when they are talking with other big countries. Dont buy the dubbed stuff if you freaking hate it so much, but dont go around saying that nothing should ever be dubbed because i have a feeling you would want Assassin's Creed to be dubbed english if it came out only in spanish. Oh, nevermind, i forgot, you would waste several years learning spanish before you would ever deign yourself to but anything that has been dubbed.

Sassabian
08-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by DarkDeath_470:
I said one of the hardest, and it certainly is not one of the easiest.

First, hi to all of you. I have been reading this forum for a while and finally found a subject to write about.

I'm not sure if you think your statement is based on facts. But actually english is one of the easiest languages to learn (based on a research some time ago). I'm from Finland and I can easily say that england is far more easier than finnish in terms of grammar.

Sassabian

entropy777
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">I already speak spanish, given the fact that it's spoken by over 30 million more people than english, it's the second largest language in the world after mandarin (chinese)...
It's also very similar to Portugese which is the 6th largest language in the world so it's pretty useful...

And only a moron would think knowledge is a waste of time, apparently you haven't "evolved" alot, crawl back into the sea and go back to living in your little bubble.

Try picking up a book once in a while.</span>

bugmen1910
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi to all,

when i opened this 3D I only want to know if AC comes in a diffrent language,and Stop.
Now the discussion is going out of topic, but it's still interesting me.
First of all, I'am Italian and i learned English in Germany, at school.
I can speak German, a little bit English an very good Italian, and I like them all.
I prefer to hear a story in my own language, so i can catch more "colors" in diffrent parts of the story, that English can't gives me. For example, when i hear a poetry in italian, it give me some emotion.
When i play a game, it's for me like to hear a song or a poetry, it's more immersive.

P.S. I read so much in English and German, thanks to the internet, and I learn every day.

I'm sure that i have make some mistakes, writing this text above, but every time I'm still learning.

Ciao

DarkDeath_470
08-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for making some sense, Bugmen1910. Glad that you enjoy the languages you know and are learning. We get only 3 options of languages to learn at my school, and thats Spanish, French, and Latin. I know some German thanks to a friend at school that kind of teaches it to me (and of course the band Rammstein http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) Anyways, thanks for clearing this up

DarkDeath_470
08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
And as for picking up a book every once in a while...i pick them up every day. Thousands actually, see, i work at a library and love every second of it because im around the things i love =)

zgubilici
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
DarkDeath_470, please use the edit button instead of double posting http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/545/foreditacwrittenarrow6hf.jpg
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DarkDeath_470
08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Woops, Sorry!

DarkCrawler90
08-17-2006, 01:13 PM
As long as they have english subtitles, it's fine. I can read english perfectly, but sometimes it's hard to understand it when it's spoken.

Dusteuh
08-17-2006, 11:37 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">I already speak spanish</span>

Et tu parles français mon mignon? Parce qu'en parlant d'"immersion" je pense ne rien t'apprendre en te disant que la 3e croisade (qui constitue la toile de fond de ce jeu) fut menée par l'angleterre, la france, et le HRE. Je pense que le francais était autant, voire davantage parlé que l'anglais dans cette partie du monde cette époque. Je t'apprend rien non plus si je te dis que l'anglais vient du francais 60%, et que toutes les cours d'europe ont parlé francais durant des si¨cles...
Tout ca pour arriver ma conclusion : si on t'impose un jeu enti¨rement en francais et que tu le veux en anglais tu dirais quoi?

C'est personnel, mais je trouve cette langue (l'anglais) terriblement laide, frisant limite le ridicule par moment... en gros pour moi l'anglais c'est bien dans le rock'n'roll et dans le domaine musical mais ca s'arrete l .

Si t'aime pas le francais, c'est également ton choix, mais toi personne ne te l'impose.

Au plaisir, mon bon monsieur

zgubilici
08-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Yes, that was a very interesting and fascinating period in history, when French was spoken throughout Europe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Well your point was made Dusteuh - about the choice of languages and the matter of personal taste when it comes to languages.
However this is an English speaking forum and I have to ask you to stick to English when postinghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dusteuh
08-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Yes, sorry, it was just to impose another language to those who don't understand that there are some people who prefer to play to a game in their native language. If entropy777 can't respect that...

I'm ok, we need an universal language, but not the english, this should be the Esperanto instead...

entropy777
08-18-2006, 02:09 AM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">No news that the French have always resented english as the universal language, go to France and try to talk to someone and they'll pretend like they don't have a clue what you're saying.

I think english is ok as a universal language, but!
And this is important...
I think ENGLISH is ok, Shakespeares english, the brittish english,
NOT the american english.
It's very crude and vulgar, and the use of dual negatives is frequent, like "I didn't do nothing" which really is admitting to doing something.

I wouldn't have a problem with other languages being the universal though, like say Catalan, or Spanish, but I think you should learn all the languages you possibly can, theres nothing more important than knowledge.

Back on topic I justify this with the ""colors" of the story" as bugemen1910 so vividly called it, it's common knowledge that whenever something is translated, it looses alot of it's meaning, hence why I read books written in Japanese and then translated to English, instead of books written in Japanese, translated to English and then translated from English to my language.

Because the english version is far more accurate.
This is the same for games, you loose some of the story if the game is translated, since all the languages have words that other languages don't have, and meanings... My language for instance doesn't have any word or anything to describe the english word "MIND"... The closest thing would be our word for Sense. (as in the 5 senses)

I think I've made my point.</span>

Dusteuh
08-18-2006, 05:22 AM
I prefer a comprehensive translate with 3 words which change than an original where I don't understand a big half. Anyway, now the games (as the movies) are more or less correctly translated. It's my choise, and you have to respect it. If you don't like the topic, don't reply it =)

terminalShock09
08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Entropy777... that isn't American english. I'm not necessarily proud of my country, but double negatives are not used as an accepted language rule here. In fact, it sounds just as stupid to us as it does to you.

entropy777
08-18-2006, 03:27 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">Most americans I've met use them though, and in movies etc. they also use them, mostly the ghetto people, the middle-class suburban kids who want to be ghetto, and the people living in that large space between New York, Chicago and Los Angeles (Hillbilly country)</span>

terminalShock09
08-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Most Americans that you've met are just regular idiots, then... I've never met a person who uses double negatives. I've only seen them used on TV, as you said, with "ghetto" people -- not highly educated people that might speak "American" english as well. Also keep in mind that the large space you speak of is often a victim of stereotype.

bugmen1910
08-18-2006, 11:56 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">Back on topic I justify this with the ""colors" of the story" as bugemen1910 so vividly called it, it's common knowledge that whenever something is translated, it looses alot of it's meaning, hence why I read books written in Japanese and then translated to English, instead of books written in Japanese, translated to English and then translated from English to my language.

Because the english version is far more accurate.
This is the same for games, you loose some of the story if the game is translated, since all the languages have words that other languages don't have, and meanings... My language for instance doesn't have any word or anything to describe the english word "MIND"... The closest thing would be our word for Sense. (as in the 5 senses)

I think I've made my point.</span>

That's right entropy777, but in italian we have some "shadings of color" to describe the circumstance in that you use the word "Mind", in this example.

The plague, in italy, is how they translate the names of games or some films. OMG. Arghhhh.

Ciao

likeitsme
08-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Erm... there's such a thing as evolution of society too y'know... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Everyone can know English, and that's perfectly fine. However, I doubt that countries like China, Japan and India are rapidly improving their economies because they felt the need to learn English.

English is just another language, it's not my first language, but I think that's not such a big deal.

Fine, it doesn't hurt to know another language, but please, I'd rather explore the richness of my native tongue first, rather than robotically learn a new one.

And lastly, the world's constantly changing, in a hundred years, English may not be the most spoken language. Simple as that... I'd rather let people know more of their own language so they can explore the history of it, than just get them to know another language for convinience.

Oh, and English isn't the global language because it's easy... it's the global language because of the last superpower we had, the British Empire. How else can you explain hundreds of different countries having different variants of English? It's because the British empire was HUGE, and it covered and ruled many countries for a long enough time for English to sink in.

Sure, if we had an empire where the main language was Afrikaans, guess what language I'd be typing now? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MTXteerling
09-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Hahahaa, that's pretty ironic (in a good way). likeitsme just said
Sure, if we had an empire where the main language was Afrikaans, guess what language I'd be typing now?
The funny thing is, Afrikaans is called Afrikaans because the Dutch took the southern point of Afrika once. Cape town that is, which is called Kaapstad by the Afrikans, which is dutch, hey http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .
It was called Afrika at that time to, but the Dutch put the word 'afrikaans' in to use. Chuckle chuckle, I don't know if any of you thought that was funy in any way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif , but heck. I enjoyed it.

But, you are right about that whole 'english is not easier to learn thing', Britain had about 2/3 or 1/3 of the world in its grasp for quite a while.

But I do think it is strange that not that many people actually speak English in my home-country. I mean, when I was young http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif , we had Cartoon network in English, as was Fox Kids (dutch show). But now it's all dubbed, and trust me, that's not something you'd like to hear. None of the voices EVER get chosen right. None what so ever.
Anyway, now, if I were to talk to some freshman((brugger)that's dutch) in English, they'd be like, 'huh?'. It's almost astounding. It's a completely(-ish) different generation.
What this proves, is that these things really matter. TV and games should come in native languages, but the smart will choose to play it in a language they don't know yet. From call of duty alone, I learned some wicked sentences, lol. "Sie sind hinter die Sandsakke". "AAAAH, ihr braucht hilfe". "Sie lieben unsere Granatte." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

By the way, does anyone know from what country entropy777 is? I'd like to know, please tell me entropy777, I love your sinicism, and pessimistic look at modern day life. Your grey writing aptly captures your bleak and sober outlook on life. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

therunner19
09-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Entropy im really wondering on this one: are you a teacher or something? How old are you? You can tell me man, i dont have anyone to tell

entropy777
09-09-2006, 10:42 PM
<span class="ev_code_GREY">You're only as old as you feel in your heart...</span>