PDA

View Full Version : Pardon my I-16 N00bness, but ...

Zagreus40K
06-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I have this trouble when I fly I-16s, I tend to kill their engins when I dive or turn too sharply.

Is there any way to re-start them, like cycling the magnetos or something ? It's a little annoying when I can't even start a fight properly, let alone finish it.

VW-IceFire
06-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Engine doesn't like negative G's. It gets starved of fuel. So don't push forward on the stick...roll 180 and pull back.

If it does happen...try diving to about 220kph or more and try and restart the engine. Works sometimes. Someone else who is more knowledgeable about the I-16 can probably help better but its a gem of a little fighter if you can make it work for you.

carguy_
06-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Historically I16 was started on the ground but AFAIK ingame you can start it in air.Have you tried hitting toggle engine key until it starts?

Stay out of neg G maneuvers while flying I16.

heywooood
06-25-2005, 09:04 PM
since 4.01 it is harder to airstart...map a key to the magnetos - when the engine quits...cycle through mags (switch them both off then both on) with the throttle at idle....then use the 'I' key and keep the throttle low 25-30% until it catches..you might have to try it twice..if you have time.

One trick I have discovered to help prevent the neg-g cutout in the first place - just as you are about to push the nose over the wrong way, suck back the throttle slightly -it seems to reverse fuel momentarily and keep just enough juice in the carb. to prevent the engine from quitting. Try it...it works.

LStarosta
06-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by heywooood:
since 4.01 it is harder to airstart...map a key to the magnetos - when the engine quits...cycle through mags (switch them both off then both on) with the throttle at idle....then use the 'I' key and keep the throttle low 25-30% until it catches..you might have to try it twice..if you have time.

One trick I have discovered to help prevent the neg-g cutout in the first place - just as you are about to push the nose over the wrong way, suck back the throttle slightly -it seems to reverse fuel momentarily and keep just enough juice in the carb. to prevent the engine from quitting. Try it...it works.

Thanks Heywood, that's some neat stuff. I'll have to try it next time I'm in my Hurricane.

PBNA-Boosher
06-26-2005, 12:02 AM
I've also found that if the prop is already turning, generally when above 320 kph the prop windmills enough. You should also remember to take down the mixture so as not to flood the engines.

LEXX_Luthor
06-26-2005, 01:48 AM
Fly level, push the stick forward, and watch your engine guage needles shake. Must watch them when you try to restart. It takes time, so don't lose power at low altitude where you can't lower nose to pick up airspeed for restart (and you don't have much time before you hit the ground).

Master this thing -- you will find I~16 (and I~153 and the Fiats among others) very rewarding to fly correctly.

SeaFireLIV
06-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Yep. The I16 looks like an easy plane to fly and I`m sure everyone would be flying it - IF it wasn`t for Neg-G. How many have tried flipping this plane about, seeing it stall and instantly giving up because they reckon it`s now c r a p? Yet, in the hands of a good pilot, willing to learn it can batter later year aircraft. This is what keeps a potential `noob` plane securely in the ranks of good, experienced pilots.

I love this plane, I`ve taken out so many cocky 1942 + aircraft because they think my I16`s useless.

The I16 is the classic example of the REALITY of realistic aircraft and experience.

BigganD
06-26-2005, 06:37 AM
I still can take off with just the keybords with out any problems http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif