PDA

View Full Version : Seawolves Add-on

aaronblood
08-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah... so I went ahead and put an order in for one. Figured $15 bucks, not too much risk.

Personally, I've tried the RuB mod and couldn't get the blasted thing to work. It just went to black screen and nothin.

Gray Wolves... I dunno, is it RAR based?

I've been particularly annoyed with the tendency of modders to opt for that RAR compression format. I wish you all would just zip the stuff so I don't have to bother with all these cross-conflicting decompression tools. unRAR killed some of my beloved zip right-click-auto-gadgets that I used to use regularly. If anyone can tell me how to get those back I'd appreciate it.

I'm not bothering with anymore RAR based mods.

HW3
08-14-2006, 05:50 PM
The main reason some mods are now in RAR or 7-zip format is that they zip the files into a smaller size than regular zip does allowing for smaller download sizes.

aaronblood
08-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah... but I don't care.

I'd rather wait a few extra minutes for the reg'lar ole zip format.

tuddley3
08-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Read this before you BUY freeware Sea Wolves Previous Sea Wolves Discussion (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/8881091964)

comanderFritz
08-14-2006, 07:29 PM
if you dont like unzipping mod s and want to buy the same thing but on a disk (plus some more stuff) i say more power to you

there is nothing wrong with seawolves and encouge enyone who doesnt feel like messing with files or downloading mods should buy it

and the truth is if is stolen comunity mods at least we can now get them all on one disk

hueywolf123
08-14-2006, 07:35 PM
CF, so what is your annual salary from X1, if it's not too personal a question to ask.
Just joking, look a little advice, Sea v Grey is a catalyst for controversy here, just cool it down. So he'd prefer to install sea instead of grey, well I'm the other way. But I aint going to belt anyone over the head about it & neither should you. Lets just let it rest

Carotio
08-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by aaronblood:
Yeah... but I don't care.

I'd rather wait a few extra minutes for the reg'lar ole zip format.

It's ALWAYS the uploaders choice of which compressing format, and uploaders usually choose best compression, which means faster uploads. Most people with broadband normally has a fast download rate but a much slower upload rate, I for one!

It's not best act to critisize uploaders choice, because it's the best way to receive no help at all with download, unpacking or using!

Just a friendly advice!

Before forgetting:
"Seawolves" IS mostly available FREE mods so why bother buying! But hey, it's not against the law to be stupid, so go ahead and buy if you want! But be a sport, and upload the **** for the rest of us, so we can download it for free! Then you can choose WinZip if you want to!

What this eternal discussion about this "Seawolves" issue concerns: I don't give a damn anymore! It's just worth a sarkastic joke, because if you can't see the point of throwing your money away, well then you just deserve it!

aaronblood
08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey now... careful who you call stupid. I've been around awhile and could point to plenty of published evidence as well as university references to the contrary.

Usually "Friendly Advice" doesn't involve calling folks names. I'm just gonna let that go...

I don't mind paying a few bucks for convenience. But to me $15 isn't really that much, seems fair for an add-on. I don't care to get into the politics of who stole what from who and so forth. But, if I get it and it's riddled with bugs or won't install, etc. I'll be sending it right back and I'll let others know to do the same.

Anyhoo... yeah, personally, I wish folks would just zip everything. Tis a pain dealing with all these diff formats. Some day the desire to play with those extra goodies will finally outweigh the pain of extraction and perhaps I'll try again.

Tell ya what... If anyone's got this stuff extracted to a CD, I'll paypal ya $5 bucks if you'd just ship it over with a few instructions. Anything like that layin around for GW or RuB?

Must be that RAR or Zip-7 is like at least 10x better than standard zip then? If it's just like a 1.5-2x gain, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle... but whadoIno.

aaronblood
08-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Honestly...

I hadn't realized this was such a raging controversy. I just saw a post on the Joystiq blog announcing new releases for the week and it had the word "Silent Hunter" in there and naturally caught my attention.

Same is true for addons and annoucements for Flight Sim 2004 and now FSX due out in Oct.

HW3
08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
You do know that there are free programs out there that will handle most all the different zip types in one program?

hueywolf123
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
There is nothing difficult about 7.zip, it is a free download, very small in size. Will open files very quickly to where ever you want them

aaronblood
08-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by HW3:
You do know that there are free programs out there that will handle most all the different zip types in one program?

I posted here after the fact, I already ordered the add-on.

However your comment is intriguing. With regard to this all-format zipware...

Is it truly freeware. Or does it come up with some annoying prompt to let you know how often you use it and don't pay for it.

Does it put an option to zip on the right-click shortcut menu? If it puts that back I'd get it for that reason alone.

aaronblood
08-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
There is nothing difficult about 7.zip, it is a free download, very small in size. Will open files very quickly to where ever you want them

I don't doubt it's easy. It's just another thing... ya know. And they all seem to have this way of assuming that they're the best and it can safely wipe the others.

But an all-in-one freeware gadget... I might opt for that idea.

hueywolf123
08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants or anything like that. I too, hated all zip files until i tried 7.zip

tuddley3
08-15-2006, 07:21 AM
FREE means FREE with FREEWARE. The only thing I've paid for so far is the SH3 DVD. Just as free as like Realsim.com or Subsim. 7zip is the same as WinRar.

JScones
08-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Gray Wolves... I dunno, is it RAR based
No, it comes as a full and proper installer. No de/compression software needed. Just d/l the files and run the .exe file.

Visit the Grey Wolves (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/TGW/) website to d/l. The Subsim site will most likely be down, but the mirror is available.

Alternatively, you can make a small donation at Subsim and get it on DVD, or ask nicely over there and someone will send it to you for free on CD.

BTW, I use IZarc compression software. TOTALLY FREE; no nags, spyware, adware etc and does ALL compression formats.

Full context menu. In fact, if you've ever used WinZip, you'll be right at home with IZarc as it really is a clone with extra compression features.

7z (LZMA) compression compresses between 30% and 70% better than zip. For example:
-uncompressed GW1.0 = 1640MB
-ZIP max compressed GW1.0 = 966MB (59% of original filesize)
-7z max compressed GW1.0 = 630MB (38% of original filesize and 35% better than ZIP). And coincidently, a perfect size to archive away on a CD.

See why modders opt for 7z for larger mods? You should be thanking them for saving your d/l time.

aaronblood
08-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Cool. I'll go snag IZarc then...

As for the GW add-on... I'm gonna give SW a spin and then maybe try out GW later.

Thanks

Ali_109
08-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
Yeah, i am living proof, recently installed GW and 7.zip with no hassle, no snags, and especially it does not attack your registry or startup and eat up your precious RAM like most others i could mention beginning with Win........ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif and it will extract anything to anywhere with one-click, so congrats to the developers of 7.zip, just like Tuddley says it is genuine FREE FREEWARE and made for the end-user http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

tuddley3
08-18-2006, 04:49 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif