PDA

View Full Version : Head controlled hat switch on IL-2 46 bonus dvd

SergioRoadster
06-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Those of you who have the Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, know what I'm talking about. In the making of the game dvd at about 0:11:00 appears Dmitri Soldatenkov with that thing on his glasses, first time I saw him put the glasses with that thing I went "what the hell?!". I don't know what's the name of that thing, so I call it head controlled hat switch, but it shure looks to be more fun and to beat the hat switch of the joysticks. So what is the name of that thing? Is it something that is going to be put available in shops, or is already available? Or a prototype made by the guys of MAddox games?

dbillo
06-19-2007, 05:22 PM
TrackIR?

http://www.naturalpoint.com/

neural_dream
06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
trackir. you can find the latest version at about 100 in ebay for new or 75 for used, 140 in the official suppliers ...

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-20-2007, 09:16 AM
hehe...sell your first born if you have to. TrackIR is that good. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Crash_Moses
06-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, get it! I couldn't fly without it...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Don't care either...TIR rocks!

S!

neural_dream
06-20-2007, 10:26 AM
TIR is more expensive than useful. Those who say it's necessary have probably not used newview for their hatswitch and thing that TrackIR increases situational awareness. It doesn't.
However, if you don't care about money, like me and many here, then buy it. It's cool and geeky and you'll impress your nephew.

VonTonar
06-20-2007, 11:34 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I would have to disagree and the point of being more expensive than Usefull. TIR is the best thing I have ever done to help stay alive. #2 would be rudder peddles. and you don't need to spend the price of a new one. I got TIR3 for $50 and worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents

papotex
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
are you kiddin neural dream?
maybe you have nt set your TIR profile right.

i have TIR4 and its as natural to use it as using the joystick to fly the plane.

before i had track ir i use to use mouse look wich in my opinion is more accurate and natural then using the joystick hat switch. (been using hat switch in flight sims since 1995)

but when i got TIR4 and i got my profiles just right, all those years of using hatswitch AND the mouse to look around went right out the window.

and thats not even mentioning all the other games that have even better support for TIR4 than IL2 has.

neural_dream
06-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm not kidding and I'm far from inexperienced. TrackIR is very natural, but natural doesn't mean better when competition gets in the equation. Ask for example Hart_Dreyer. He would tell you that the best thing is by far the numpad, with which I agree.

The fact that you are not good enough in the arcade ways of gaming that e.g. Asians have mastered(clicking ridiculously quickly, hysterically changing views and in general doing things that are unnatural) doesn't mean that TrackIR will improve everyone's situational awareness.

As I said though, I love my TrackIR, which although didn't make me any better, is so so so so comfortable. If I didn't have money though I wouldn't have bought it. Until it starts reading the iris it will not be accurate enough.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
It's not invaluable, it's not better than my joystick (hehe), and it's not as important than my new goose-poop-quick video card...but it's one great piece of kit...be sure. And still worth my first-born. But that's another story. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Divine-Wind
06-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
TIR is more expensive than useful. Those who say it's necessary have probably not used newview for their hatswitch and thing that TrackIR increases situational awareness. It doesn't.
However, if you don't care about money, like me and many here, then buy it. It's cool and geeky and you'll impress your nephew.
I have to disagree. TrackIR can help your SA a good deal. It's a lot more precise than the numpad and hatswitch, and easier to use.

T_O_A_D
06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SergioRoadster:
Those of you who have the Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, know what I'm talking about. In the making of the game dvd at about 0:11:00 appears Dmitri Soldatenkov with that thing on his glasses, first time I saw him put the glasses with that thing I went "what the hell?!". I don't know what's the name of that thing, so I call it head controlled hat switch, but it shure looks to be more fun and to beat the hat switch of the joysticks. So what is the name of that thing? Is it something that is going to be put available in shops, or is already available? Or a prototype made by the guys of MAddox games?

Ehem I know exactly where that thing came from.

Look in my sig or easier yet, Linkage 4 U (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=15310285&p=1)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/T_O_A_D/Track%20IR%20stuff/DmitriSoldatenkov.jpg

Divine-Wind
06-20-2007, 02:18 PM
If that doesn't make you look like a geek, nothing will. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

tagTaken2
06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
As I said though, I love my TrackIR, which although didn't make me any better, is so so so so comfortable. If I didn't have money though I wouldn't have bought it. Until it starts reading the iris it will not be accurate enough.

I have serious doubts about eye-tracking. Did you know that your eyes are NEVER completely still? Given the rapidity with which they move and add that you would have to focus continually on a tiny section of your vision... sounds like a recipe for eyestrain and headaches. You may think that this could be sorted out by profiles, but you would then have to keep your HEAD perfectly still.
Plus, head movement is far more natural, and REALISTIC.

neural_dream
06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I've used eye-tracking for a few hours. It's still experimental and costs about 10,000, but I found it impeccable when it comes to hands-free navigation. e.g. you zoom in simply by concentrating on what you want, browse just by looking at stuff. It's unbelievably good. Head-tracking is good too, and obviously more realistic, but becomes tiring after a while and is far from accurate. You don't need fixing any profiles, as people look with their eyes, not their heads. And of course eye-tracking also has 6DOF. Anyway. It needs a pioneering company like natural point to bring technology like this to the masses and they haven't yet started looking at eye-tracking.

NP_Vincent
06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
It needs a pioneering company like natural point to bring technology like this to the masses and they haven't yet started looking at eye-tracking.

Actually, that's not exactly true. The company started out using eye-control technology (company name used to be Eye-Control Technology), the issue is the cost of the hardware to do it is just way cost prohibitive to both build, and sell it to the average user. We are talking 5 figures per unit here........

company info page..... Eye Control Technologies, Inc. (dba NaturalPoint) was founded in 1997 to develop computer control devices for people with disabilities. Founders Jim Richardson and Birch Zimmer were initially inspired to develop affordable motion tracking technology after Jim's cousin was completely paralyzed in an accident and could communicate only by moving his eyes.

neural_dream
06-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Didn't know that.

SergioRoadster
06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
THank you all for you information and opinions for and against trakir.
I've been in the naturalpoint site and got surprised about those features of all head movements and zooming, I've searched in the list of games that support trakir, and just mentions "IL-2 forgotten battles" only with the 4 basic movements like the hat-switch does, I guess that Il-2 1946 only supports those also right? And do you think that in the new battle of Britain game the guys are working on, all those trakir functions will be available?

T_O_A_D ahah nice videocap.

But one thing I find strange... I've searched in the net and in wikipedia and trakir seems to be the only device of it's kind in the market. How come logitech and other game devices companies are leaving that market behind?

NP_Vincent
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes IL2 only supports 2DOF - Yaw and Pitch.

Storm of War is slated to have full 6 DOF support. - Yaw, Pitch Roll, x, Y, Z,.

Crash_Moses
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Yes, 1946 only supports the head turn. BoB is expected to support 6DOF.

It's an extremely specialized market. I'm not sure there's room for more than one manufacturer, although Naturalpoint seems to be doing well with it. They also do commercial work for large companies. I'm sure they make more money doing that.

There are alternatives to TrackIr as mentioned above. There is one that uses software and an IP Camera to do the same thing as TIR. Not sure what it's called or how well it works...