PDA

View Full Version : Trimming?

LAPIII1980
04-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Is there ever a reason to trim exept for on Runways? When and how do you trim?

LAPIII1980
04-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Is there ever a reason to trim exept for on Runways? When and how do you trim?

carguy_
04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Some planes have very bad high speed elevator authority.For example you may have trouble getting out of a dive in time.To evade this you trim elevators to positive G to get out faster.

Also some planes need trimming at high speed to ensure a stable gun platform.

elevator trim: CTRL+up/down arrow
aileron trim: CTRL+ left/right arrow.

p-11.cAce
04-11-2007, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is there ever a reason to trim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just as in RL you can fly without ever trimming...of course you can probably argue that a person can get everywhere they need to go by hopping on one foot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> When and how do you trim? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I trim constantly and along every axis that has trim available so that the inclinometer ball stays centered when the stick and pedals are centered.

flox
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Basically if your plane is well trimmed, it will not roll, climb, dive, or yaw on its own when you let go of the controls. This is beneficial to your gunnery as well as your speed (a trimmed aircraft can fly faster than an untrimmed one).

WOLFMondo
04-11-2007, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LAPIII1980:
Is there ever a reason to trim exept for on Runways? When and how do you trim? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trimming is really important. Try flying the Tempest without any trim, especially at high speed and see how you sideslip unwittingly. Sideslipping is a way to shed speed prior to landing. Not great for a plane being fast. You'll also notice on all planes that if you don't trim your plane will constantly pull up and in some cases push the nose down at high speed (Tempest).

In real life trim was needed for both keeping teh plane in the desired direction but also to prevent the pilot from becoming tired from just flying the plane.

Chris0382
04-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I trim so much. I use the Y-axis on my FS-PRO as an elevator trim axis along with my combat stick for regular elevator movement.

Huxley_S
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
If you're side slipping because you haven't trimmed the rudder you will find it harder to shoot straight.

LAPIII1980
04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Could you please clarify that. I do not know what the FS-PRO is, but I assume that it is a two piece combat sytem like my Saitek X52 Flight Sytem having a throttle and a joystick. I'm new to flight simulators and, I'd like you to answer this, I am not sure what is the difference between a command for rudder, aileron, and elevator and their trim commands.

BaldieJr
04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I trim every two weeks unless I have a date with a lady who does not like facial hair.

flox
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
My motto is "if you're expecting company, you gotta mow the lawn" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ploughman
04-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Wot Brazilian?

Chris0382
04-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I use 2 controllers and a track ball for flying. A combat stick and a flight stick pro. The CS is my main controller and my FS-PRO I use for rudder and elevator trim plus other commands.