PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the Training Guide in IL-2 (after doing latest patch)

growingcorn
04-18-2006, 01:28 AM
I recently purchased IL-2 and patched up the system with the latest patch there is. Actually, I owned Pacific Fighters before I had IL-2 and I find that PF is very difficult to understand. So, I sought to some searching on the net and came right to this dicussion forum. Like most of you suggested, it's best familiarizing with IL-2 first. In fact, the Training guide in IL-2 is much easier to comprehend than the one in PF.

But the problem now is that after I patched the game and run Training, when I ran the guide on "Taking off" and "Landing" everything was completely mucked up.

In "Taking off", the plane should start off from the taxi bay and it should taxi itself on the runway. However, the plane is already on the runway to begin with. It's so incoherent with the instructional text guide that the plane follows its instructions. Well, the next thing you know is that the plane begins to veer off the runway, drive right into stationary planes nearby, its left wing is clipped off, and lastly commences takeoff from the grassy areas. When instructed to boost up the engine power and pitch up at a speed of 100km/h, the plane starts to pitch up at a speed of 60km/h with 70% power. Very questionable. In the end, the plane explodes and the instructional text guide continues as if nothing had happened at all and tells you to take control as it had shown you the steps in taking off.

Sadly to say, the tragic "Taking Off" training session scared me away to start this epic game.

Is this really normal? Or perhaps the updated patch is not so updated after all.

growingcorn
04-18-2006, 01:28 AM
I recently purchased IL-2 and patched up the system with the latest patch there is. Actually, I owned Pacific Fighters before I had IL-2 and I find that PF is very difficult to understand. So, I sought to some searching on the net and came right to this dicussion forum. Like most of you suggested, it's best familiarizing with IL-2 first. In fact, the Training guide in IL-2 is much easier to comprehend than the one in PF.

But the problem now is that after I patched the game and run Training, when I ran the guide on "Taking off" and "Landing" everything was completely mucked up.

In "Taking off", the plane should start off from the taxi bay and it should taxi itself on the runway. However, the plane is already on the runway to begin with. It's so incoherent with the instructional text guide that the plane follows its instructions. Well, the next thing you know is that the plane begins to veer off the runway, drive right into stationary planes nearby, its left wing is clipped off, and lastly commences takeoff from the grassy areas. When instructed to boost up the engine power and pitch up at a speed of 100km/h, the plane starts to pitch up at a speed of 60km/h with 70% power. Very questionable. In the end, the plane explodes and the instructional text guide continues as if nothing had happened at all and tells you to take control as it had shown you the steps in taking off.

Sadly to say, the tragic "Taking Off" training session scared me away to start this epic game.

Is this really normal? Or perhaps the updated patch is not so updated after all.

MadRuski
04-18-2006, 01:35 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif very nice training Growingcorn, but i must say that i have no idea in problem http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

FritzGryphon
04-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Tracks will only display properly on the same version they were recorded with, including training missions.

So if you want to see the training, you can't install a patch.

slipBall
04-18-2006, 01:36 AM
The game is very good, so take what you can from the training, and enjoy playing the game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

MadRuski
04-18-2006, 01:47 AM
well call me stupid but.... i think traning is a complete waste of time in IL2, if its Lock On then yeah, traning is essential cause everything is to do with a computer, but in this game u have to close in on a bomber and press 1 or 2 buttons, and if ur good u killed him straight away, i have learnt so much in IL2 WITHOUT the traning missions!

growingcorn
04-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Ahh.. I see. Thanks for the replies guys or gals. You're right on the account about useless training guide though. Guess I'll see you peeps up in the skies soon. Look for me.. growingcorn

rnzoli
04-18-2006, 09:08 AM
for training purposes, don't miss these valuable ones on this page: http://www.darts-page.com/movies2.htm

some were recorded with the 'old' flight model (before the 4.xx series), but contain the demonstration of still useful tips, I have used sveral of them

Interestingly, I found them after a similar experience to yours: I had trouble to understand, why the training instruction track crashes the training aircraft in the middle of the track, and what does the narrator continue to talk about then? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Then I understood that the training track is a preparation for seeing many smoke filled holes in the future, which I will create on my own http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Tully__
04-18-2006, 09:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Tracks will only display properly on the same version they were recorded with, including training missions.

So if you want to see the training, you can't install a patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most retail versions of the original game you find these days come with at least some of the patches already installed so the training missions don't work from day 1.

Skycat_2
04-18-2006, 10:50 AM
I think I know the answer to this ...

By "Il-2" do you mean the original game called "IL-2 Sturmovik" (not IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles) that has the box artwork that looks like the banner at the top of this forum? Ugly black airplane that looks like a giant horsefly coming up at you, with burning tanks on the ground below? If so, then yes ... the patches screwed up the training tracks.

In the original IL-2 game the tracks basically recorded the original inputs to the plane and recreated them for the replay. You're not really watching a video so much as watching the computer play the game for you. The patches changed the FMs, the weights of aircraft, etc. so after patching, you're watching the the computer try to fly the planes based on the old FMs and the recorded inputs. The computer knows it is supposed to give a certain amount of rudder and a certain amount of throttle, etc., but after the patches that amount of throttle isn't enough to get the plane airborne and the amount of rudder is too much and causes the plane to overcorrect ... does that make sense? You'll see planes crash for no reason and other wierdness.

Forgotten Battles corrected this problem--at least for the training instructions--by saving the examples into a format that is more like a true video so now the track is locked down to replay what occurred when the action was recorded. I think this format is called .ntrk instead of .trk.

growingcorn
04-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks Skycat_2. Yes, I got the original IL-2 Sturmovik.

Issue clarified and I am learning from the site rnzoli provided. Perhaps I'll purchase FB and AEB later.