PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Impressions--need advice

Jungmann
02-12-2005, 11:45 AM
One of my kids gave me a Saitek X45 for my birthday (nice kid). I'm wondering whether to keep it or plunk down some cash and trade up for an X52. I got the specs of the two systems off the Saitek website, so I know the differences--I'm wondering which one the community likes best in terms of gameplay. Anybody use both and have an opinion?

Appreciate hearing if you do.

I'm currently using a FFB2, which has worked fine for four years or so. And I like the feedback part--helps me feel the nibble of the stall at high AOAs. I know these two sticks don't have it--do players who had it and shifted miss it? And also, I notice Saitek advertises what looks like a feedback stick, but I don't think I've seen it discussed on the forums. Anybody use it?

Thanks again.

Jungmann
02-12-2005, 11:45 AM
One of my kids gave me a Saitek X45 for my birthday (nice kid). I'm wondering whether to keep it or plunk down some cash and trade up for an X52. I got the specs of the two systems off the Saitek website, so I know the differences--I'm wondering which one the community likes best in terms of gameplay. Anybody use both and have an opinion?

Appreciate hearing if you do.

I'm currently using a FFB2, which has worked fine for four years or so. And I like the feedback part--helps me feel the nibble of the stall at high AOAs. I know these two sticks don't have it--do players who had it and shifted miss it? And also, I notice Saitek advertises what looks like a feedback stick, but I don't think I've seen it discussed on the forums. Anybody use it?

Thanks again.

Saburo_0
02-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I have an X-45 & a Logitech Wingman FFB.
Tried the X-45 stick & didn't like it. I use the throttle, to me the best thing about it is the knobs which work really well for trim & prop pitch control.
I think the X-52 did away with the knobs. If they haven't been replaced by somthing similar I personally wouldn't go with the X-52.

Just my onion, er i mean opinion.
Knobs are good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Longjocks
02-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Many people around here with a FFB2 seem to keep it once aquiring a X45 and use it with just the X45's throttle. There must be something to that, but I never owned a FFB2 and can't say.

If you plan to do away with the FFB2 then it's my belief that it all comes down to rudder and FFB preference. The X45 & X52 are essentially the same stick otherwise, the biggest differences being the design and rudder control.

Force-feedback is something that one doesn't miss in the IL-2 series because it provides both visual and audio stall indicators. I found that moving away from FFB was easy. Plus my planes already rock enough when I shoot let alone the stick adding to that.

-HH- Beebop
02-12-2005, 05:08 PM
You have a wonderful dilema there Jungman. One that many folks would like to have.

The major differences between the X-45 and the X-52 are:

X-52 has a twist handle that can be used for rudder. X-45 has a rocker on the throttle quadrant which can be mapped for same. (Some like it, some don't. Until I get pedals I like it just fine).

The X-52 can be adjusted for the size of your hand, a nice feature IMO.

The X-52's rotaries are re-positioned. I haven't tried it yet but I'm not sure I'd like the placement.

Most people who have had an X-45 and liked it say the X-52 is better in all respects.

If your FFB stick is working OK, consider using it as a joystick, the throttle quadrant from the X-45 and keep the X-45 joystick to the side as a button bay. Bearcat can tell you all about it.

Either keeping the X-45 or trading up to the X-52 would be a win-win deal I think. If you found you didn't like the joystick you still get an excellent throttle and a button bay out of the deal.

JunkoIfurita
02-13-2005, 12:48 AM
I've been using an X52 for a while now, and since I figured out how to compensate for the flat response, I've been extremely happy with it.

The knobs seem fine ^_^ although I never used an X45 so I wouldn't know the difference. Probably the major thing I miss since upgrading from an Afterburner II is the rocker on the throttle - I never could get used to a twist rudder, the rocker always seemed more natural to use in a flight sim. All this will change if you invest in a set of pedals, though.

To be honest, having the X45 already, I wouldn't reccomend upgrading. Sure, the X52 LOOKS nice, and the LCD screen is handy, but its not essential. And after all, the X52 is $240 (Australian), and that's not trivial.

My advice - keep the X45, perhaps use BigBear's hint w/ FFB, and save up for a nice set of rudder pedals. Then you'll be laughing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

----

kSetuni
02-13-2005, 01:02 AM
I own an x45 and while its been a good stick for the money, personally I think its silly to spend the money to get an X52 if you are having no problems with the X45 and dont mind not having a twist rudder. Now if you dont have rudder pedals, or cannot get used to the rocker rudder, then I could understand considering it.

The amount they want for the X52, while still retaining many of the design characteristics, which will cause problems in the future, isnt justifyable. The X52 retains the same centering mechanism, which usually begins with some slop, that will become progressivly worse. Then coupled with the fact that Saitek wont sell parts for their joysticks, but want you to send them in for repair, is yet another added dimension. I had the trigger switch go out in my X45, Saitek wanted $50 to repair mine, $45 for a refurbished joystick, and I could get a new one for $60.

I am now getting ready to order a CH fighterstick. Thsi was due to many things. 1. their customer service is outstanding and very helpful. 2. I can get parts at very reasonable prices if I need them. 3. The reliablility of their products. I can get a CH fighterstick for less than I can get an X52. Granted its without the seperate throttle, but it jsut seems to be the better call for spending that kind of money, over an X52.

I knwo several people that got the X52, had hassles with Saitek with saitek saying play was within tolerances, but made the joystick very unprecise.

Bottom line, the X45 is a great stick if you can get by without the twist rudder. Especially for what you paid for it. You will probably get several years (hopefully) use out of it. However if you are going to spend the money for a 52, then be sure to look at other optiosn first.

ShadowMech

hframpto
02-13-2005, 01:41 AM
I had a X45 and now the X52. I prefer the 52 over the 45, has twist rudder, nice programming for key, lots of buttons, The throw is a little long, the spring is not heavy enough, so ended up putting a shim between spring and handle, spring from the 45 would be about right. In the end I am using my MS FB2 with the throttle from the X52. Hard to beat the feel and tension you can set with the MS program! My advice don't spend the extra money for the X52.

~S~

Longjocks
02-13-2005, 02:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
And after all, the X52 is $240 (Australian), and that's not trivial. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Dude, you've been buying from the wrong place...
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/46237/JOYSTICKS/Saitek/X52/X52_Advanced_Flight__Throttle_Combo_USB.asp

hobnail
02-13-2005, 03:59 AM
$199 from Harvey Norman stores, no delivery cost http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I know as I bought one today to replace my X45 which had a *cough* modding accident.

Texas LongHorn
02-13-2005, 05:28 AM
Hobnail, you're cracking me up buddy. The last time I had a modding "accident" I bought a new computer. The Wifey wasn't too happy at the time, but such is life. On topic, I just picked up a X45 unit refurbed from Siatek for forty bucks US. Not bad for both throttle and Stick in USB. Current stick for me is the Saitek USB EVO and I'm just hooked on that stick, I too bought the X45 for the throttle and extra button mashing fun, err, assigning different keypresses. All the best, LongHonr

Jungmann
02-13-2005, 11:23 AM
"Button bay?" Clue me in, gents. How is a stick of buttons alone--if that's what it is--better than the vanilla keyboard?

And thanks all for the advice.

Chivas
02-13-2005, 12:15 PM
The X52 is a good stick if you get one with a small dead zone. I highly recommend keeping your receipt and buying locally for an easy return. Don't believe people that say you can get rid of the deadzone with the Saitek or Game deadzone adjustment. Its not possible.

JunkoIfurita
02-13-2005, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dude, you've been buying from the wrong place...
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/46237/JOYSTICKS/Saitek/X52/X52_Advanced_Flight__Throttle_Combo_USB.asp <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:-P Techbuy is where I get all my stuff - must have gone down in price in the last couple of months. And when I got it, Harvey Norman sure as h.ell weren't stocking it.

**** me and my stupid tendency to pre-order! This must be why I live on 33c cans of baked beans http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Longjocks
02-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I've never seen Harvey Norman stock any of that stuff. Maybe it's just certain stores in the cities. Although I have to say that I'm surprised that it was only $199. Our HN has a standard retail price of RRP + 10% on all stock. RRP + 70% for some things.

Texas LongHorn
02-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey Chivas, what's up with the dead zone? The Saitek stick is _completly_ configurable within the sim. You're not one of those gamepad users are you? LMAO&gt; All the best, LongHorn

JunkoIfurita
02-13-2005, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The X52 is a good stick if you get one with a small dead zone. I highly recommend keeping your receipt and buying locally for an easy return. Don't believe people that say you can get rid of the deadzone with the Saitek or Game deadzone adjustment. Its not possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true at all. Search for 'Saitek' or 'X52' or 'joystick' in the forums and you'll find either me or somebody else telling you how to compensate for the flat response. The only thing that can get in the way of that is (wrongly) thinking that its a dead zone. You try and compensate with digital filter and, sure, no difference. You have to play with the frequency response sliders

----