PDA

View Full Version : track ir3 pro and vector

jessi1
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Was wondering if anyone uses the vector thing with track ir 3 even tho il-2 doesnt yet support it, Ive heard it helps tracking better and doesnt look behind you when you move to the side when playing. Can anyone tell me if its worth it to buy it and use in my game even tho it doesnt support it(bob i no will).I have trackir 3 pro, if so do you need to download the software that comes with it or can you just clip on your hat and off you go with my regular trackir3 settings???

Saunders1953
04-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Jessi, I installed TrackIR Pro 3/Vector about 3 weeks ago, but I didn't activate the vector expansion until just this last Saturday. I decided I won't be using it, at least until BOB (or maybe for some other games), even though some say it helps "regular' TrackIR track better. If they are talking about the little metal clip with the three reflective surfaces that clips to the hat--I'd agree 100% that it makes ALOT of difference (I've been using that since I got the unit).

But when I tried the vector program, it just messed things up, because I sit about 12--18 inches from the screen--which is the most comfortable for me--and the vector requires 2-3 feet or more distance or it goes kind of bananas. So I checked "Dot" in the edit screen, and things are back to normal. I have the centering key (F9?) mapped to my Nostromo and to the word command "center" in the VAC for backup, and I can center as needed, which really isn't all that often, and usually only when I shift in my seat and my head moves into a different attitude.

And btw, I tried the reflective tape on a 1 1/4 inch wooden ball--it too skewed things up for me. So I just use the vector clip and "normal" TrackIR Pro.

jessi1
04-04-2005, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saunders1953:
Jessi, I installed TrackIR Pro 3/Vector about 3 weeks ago, but I didn't activate the vector expansion until just this last Saturday. I decided I won't be using it, at least until BOB (or maybe for some other games), even though some say it helps "regular' TrackIR track better. If they are talking about the little metal clip with the three reflective surfaces that clips to the hat--I'd agree 100% that it makes ALOT of difference (I've been using that since I got the unit).

But when I tried the vector _program_, it just messed things up, because I sit about 12--18 inches from the screen--which is the most comfortable for me--and the vector requires 2-3 feet or more distance or it goes kind of bananas. So I checked "Dot" in the edit screen, and things are back to normal. I have the centering key (F9?) mapped to my Nostromo and to the word command "center" in the VAC for backup, and I can center as needed, which really isn't all that often, and usually only when I shift in my seat and my head moves into a different attitude.

And btw, I tried the reflective tape on a 1 1/4 inch wooden ball--it too skewed things up for me. So I just use the vector clip and "normal" TrackIR Pro. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Saunders thanks for the quick reply, you say it helps a'lot, in what way does it help, when you move around in your seat does it help stay centerd or just help because of the few extra reflectiveness of the three things? I also have my centering button mapped wich i hit with my pinkie on my keyboard,what will using the vector device without using the program do for me, examples please because my trackir is fine right now but ive heard it helps to use the three prong thing that goes on your hat, WHY?? tHANKS IN ADVANCE
FLY ONLINE AS blackpulpit!

Saunders1953
04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> help because of the few extra reflectiveness of the three things? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it does for me. Just using one dot with the hat did squat, but the metal vector clip works a lot better, I suppose because of their positioning. I can move my head around with fairly quick jerks--even up/down--and really don't have to recenter much. I can actually dogfight with cockpit on and it's a blast--couldn't do that with just a keypad or with the single reflector.