PDA

View Full Version : 4 cannon Spitfires?

Classicaero
11-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Will we ever get a 4 cannon Spitfire in this game? I noticed in the skins folder there is already a folder called Spitfire Vc with a void skin in there, but no flyable Vc. Why? There were many marks of Spitfire equipped with 4 x 20mm cannon, certainly a large number of Vc's were used and i beleive the MK IX had a version with 4 cannon that again was used extensively. I shall dig out some numbers from my books to boulster my case, i want a 4 cannon Spitfire! i appreciate its destructive firepower maybe frowned upon by our friendly axis flyers but i am not to keen on FW 190s with there twin 30mm cannon armament but i do not complain about it. Its about time we had an effective fighter that can dismantle axis machines in one quick burst.

blairgowrie
11-03-2004, 05:29 AM
I think you will see them on the Spit X1V and the Tempest when they are released.

LStarosta
11-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Well you got a 4 cannon Corsair... You can practice your high speed deflection shooting in that in anticipation of the arrival of the XIV and the Tempest.

ASM 1
11-03-2004, 04:52 PM
spitfire.....4 cannons.....

mmmmm.... nasty! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Philipscdrw
11-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Bah, just fly the Hurricane IIC.

WTE_Galway
11-03-2004, 06:15 PM
i have heard stories of an 8 cannon prototype worked on by Supermarine but i have not seen any evidence to prove it was ever more than a rumour

Philipscdrw
11-03-2004, 06:18 PM
I have never heard of an 8-cannon Spitfire.

ASM 1
11-03-2004, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
Bah, just fly the Hurricane IIC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but its a bit of a slowass http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

guns AND speed, thats what I'm looking for http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

LStarosta
11-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Guns and speed? Try the Fw190, Bf109, P47. If you want the C-wing 20mm configuration, try the 4x20mm variant of the Corsair.

HellToupee
11-03-2004, 07:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
i have heard stories of an 8 cannon prototype worked on by Supermarine but i have not seen any evidence to prove it was ever more than a rumour <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

havnt heard of a 8 cannon one, but there was a 6 cannon spitfire mk21 or 22 trialed.

LStarosta
11-03-2004, 08:15 PM
I've heard of an 8x20mm P47 derivative...

Arm_slinger
11-04-2004, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HellToupee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
i have heard stories of an 8 cannon prototype worked on by Supermarine but i have not seen any evidence to prove it was ever more than a rumour <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

havnt heard of a 8 cannon one, but there was a 6 cannon spitfire mk21 or 22 trialed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a picture of that experiment in a book somewhere. If i can find it, i'll put it up

VW-IceFire
11-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Mmmm a very small number of Mark Vc's ever had 4 cannons. I think they all went to Malta and all had their cannons removed down to 2 cannons.

XIV's used standard C and E type armament with 2 cannons only (and machine guns).

Mark 21 was the first version to standardize 4 cannon armamement.

So if we see a Mark Vc in the game...EXPECT it to have 2 cannons and 4 .303's. Thats the most common C type armament.

berg417448
11-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Mk. IV. (Later MK XX)
At one time this aircraft was mocked up with a SIX cannon wing. A photo of the mocked up wing is shown in William Green€s €œFamous fighters of the Second World War€.

I also found this info about this particular aircraft (DP845):

€œOne single aircraft, which was built as a Mk. III was converted to house the powerful Rolls-Royce Griffon IIB engine, was designated as the Mk. IV. This prototype flew for the first time in 1941 and was the basis of the Mk. XII. It is not to be confused with the PR IV.

An amusing story is connected to this model. As mentioned earlier, Joe Smith at an early stage wanted to test the new Griffon engine in a Spitfire. When DP845, which was the number of the first of the 2 Mk. IVs built, flew for the first time it was at Supermarine's own risk. At that time it had been established that the Spitfire Mk. V was no match to the Focke-Wulf 190 or the Bf109F. Hawker had developed their new Typhoon, which was regarded as the fighter of tomorrow. An air-race between a captured FW190, a Typhoon was arranged. To participate as a reference - and expected looser - Supermarine was asked to provide a Spitfire for this event. Test pilot Jeffrey Quill, who should fly the Spitfire at this race, got the idea that he could fly DP845, because no one had told him in which Spitfire model he should race. Joe Smith loved the idea. Then the 3 pilots arrived with their aircraft and it was decided that would fly in formation and turn back and race toward Farnborough, where the finish line was. There the VIPs expected to see the Typhoon beat the FW190 and the Spitfire as the hopeless number 3. When the race started the 3 aircraft raced at low altitude towards the finish and Quill unleashed all the power of DP845 and quickly put both opponents behind him and won the race with a big margin. This came as a total surprise for the VIPs, but result spoke for itself and an order for a 100 of these.€

p1ngu666
11-04-2004, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Mmmm a very small number of Mark Vc's ever had 4 cannons. I think they all went to Malta and all had their cannons removed down to 2 cannons.

XIV's used standard C and E type armament with 2 cannons only (and machine guns).

Mark 21 was the first version to standardize 4 cannon armamement.

So if we see a Mark Vc in the game...EXPECT it to have 2 cannons and 4 .303's. Thats the most common C type armament. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if it doesnt have 4 cannons, then theres no reason to add it to game really http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

blairgowrie
11-04-2004, 11:34 AM
That was a very interesting story berg417448. Do you recall the year when the race took place?

Monty_Thrud
11-04-2004, 12:07 PM
blairgowrie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That was a very interesting story berg417448. Do you recall the year when the race took place?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

July 1942