PDA

View Full Version : Steering after you land.

tankbuster1973
10-19-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't know if there has been any discussion about how the planes taxi when on the ground, but I can't control the planes worth ****. In Lock On its really easy. Why is it so hard in this game?

Bearcat99
10-19-2004, 10:07 PM
When you turn apply brakes. Although there isnt true differential braking it is simulated quite nicely.

WTE_Snowhawk
10-19-2004, 10:15 PM
it's really hard in this game because most of the aircraft are taildraggers, making them directionally unstable on the ground. They say that flying tailwheel will make you a better pilot, because they're more difficult to takeoff, land and taxi, and I can tell you from experience it's 100% true.
Bear is quite right. The Chipmunk uses a similar system. The rudder pedals are just a bar, no toe pedals for braking. Braking is achieved via a hand lever, kind of like flaps. When you apply brakes and apply rudder, braking power is also diverted to the same side wheel. It takes practice, but when proficient you should be able to make the plane go anywhere you want it to on the ground, including doing a standing 360.

WTE_Galway
10-19-2004, 10:15 PM
two things to consider

- the actual rudder itself needs airflow across it to work so if you want to turn on the ground with rudder you need a quick burst of full throttle to get some rudder authority

- dapping the brakes with rudder applied will turn you quicker as the brakes are applied diferentially depending on the rudder position the brakes work in game the way they did at the time .. the amount of braking applied to each wheel is governed by the rudder bar position .. aircraft with the modern arrangement of two seperate brake pedals were rare in WWII

tankbuster1973
10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
What about planes with tricycle landing gear? With IL2 you see the front wheel turn, but the plane doesn't follow the direction your wheel is pointing unless you use your brakes. They act just like the tail draggers. But in Lock On when you turn, you really turn!

WTE_Dukayn
10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
maybe the 1990s-era jets in Lock On have power steering. The 1940s planes don't http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

WTE_Snowhawk
10-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Hmmmm.... The earliest nosewheel aircraft I've ever flown was a late '60's model beecraft. it turned fine.
The only nosewheel aircraft I've flown in game is the p38. It seems to work just fine for me...

tankbuster1973
10-19-2004, 11:07 PM
I like to fly the ME262 alot. It doesn't steer the way I think it should, but I guess if the people in charge of modeling these aircraft say its an accurate representation of how the plane truely steers on the ground then who am I to say other wise. They are the experts.

tankbuster1973
10-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Is it possible to get a response from someone who programs this wonderful game? (not joking, I love this game!) Is this a programing issue, or are these planes really this hard to steer?

TX-EcoDragon
10-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Regarding the nosewheel. . . in a few of the aircraft that have castering nose gear the wheel still appears to turn when rudder is applied, (a known bug) and you still must use differential braking to turn.

tankbuster1973
10-19-2004, 11:48 PM
So your saying the ME262 nosewheel in real life doesn't turn. There is just a bug in the program that shows the nosewheel of the plane turning but it shouldn't be?

WTE_Galway
10-20-2004, 12:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tankbuster1973:
So your saying the ME262 nosewheel in real life doesn't turn. There is just a bug in the program that shows the nosewheel of the plane turning but it shouldn't be? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh it turns all right http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

just not in the same direction as the rudder !!

the real 262 had a castoring nosewheel that spun around like the castors on a shopping trolley .. you had to taxi it with brakes and throttle like you taxied a taildragger

well known problems with the 262 included:

- non steerable nose wheel
- fragile undercarriage
- a tendency for the main wheels to fail to lock in the dowm position

kn00bski
10-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Now if I press z I apply break on the left wheel, give some gas and then I can turn on a dime...and x goes for right wheel..isn´t that differential breaking...? I play mostly original Sturmovik and it works there..

Tully__
10-20-2004, 05:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
When you turn apply brakes. Although there isnt true differential braking it is simulated quite nicely. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it is true differential braking, but using the Russian/English mode of single actuator with side to side balance linked to rudder pedals, rather than the alternate method of independant actuators for each side.

ruf9ii
10-20-2004, 07:47 AM
knoobski, seriously suggest you get a joystick with twist handle or peddals...

if you wanted to turn on a dime, full throttle, full rudder. after throttle for 2-3 secs (untill you have some movement, depends on the plane) drop throttle to zero (keep rudder fully locked) and jump on the brakes. keep alternating brakes and throttle as desired.

jets are diferent tho, yp80 is very easy to fly, but the 262 and 229 are harder. if you really wanna taxi on all the roads properly and too the main runways, its gonna take time and lots patience, otherwise a taxi way will do. just get urself rolling and leave throttle to about 30-40% to keep moving. to turn full lock rudder and jump on brakes.
if you wanted to, as i said, take off from the main runway taking all the roads and such ur gonna need to throttle up each engine separately to turn. when doin this dont worry bout rudder as much, just use the brake to stop yourself turning. it will take practice tho.