PDA

View Full Version : Something off about AC2? (Spoilers, endgame.)

keepth3beat
11-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, first of all, I'd like to say that I'm incredibly impressed with AC2. They addressed literally every issue that was brought up with the first, right down to having nothing to do during the credits. So hats off to you guys at Ubisoft for such an amazing product.

But I dunno, throughout the course of the game, I felt odd while playing it. It's hard to explain, but it felt like it wasn't... 'Assassin's Creed' to me, for some reason. I think maybe part of the reason why was because we switched protagonists, eras, settings, and everything else.

I was a little disappointed by the fact that there wasn't as much moral grey area in this one as the first, and I miss getting to know the targets, however briefly we did. I think I was the only person who *liked* the death monologues.

It almost feels like Ezio's life was kind of a filler, if that makes sense. And I definitely enjoyed playing it through, but somehow it just didn't feel connected to Assassin's Creed and all that. Maybe because the story was too straightforward...? XD;

Although, after Ezio enters the vault and speaks with Minerva, it makes a whole lot of sense as to why, seeing as he is essentially a host for Desmond's consciousness.

*scratches head* Sorry if this is coming off as vague, but there's just something odd about this game and Ezio's story that I just can't seem to put my finger on. I mean, I loved the game, and I loved getting to know Ezio (and I loved hiring Prostitutes every ten seconds), but...

What do you guys think? Did anyone feel the same way?

KakashiAssassin
11-21-2009, 06:33 PM
I did, and to a certain extent continue to feel the same way, but i suspect with the adding of sequences 12 & 13 at a later date my answer will be changed.

but our right its an excellent game, I have enjoyed it immensely, and i think the replay value of this game is just as high as a GTA title. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JudgeQwerty
11-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I agree, you don't really get to know the targets. A few leave behind letters that make them more sympathetic, but overall,it seems like the Templars are no longer interested in their New World and just want to rule. Except for Emilio Barbarigo, that is.

X10J
11-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by keepth3beat:
Well, first of all, I'd like to say that I'm incredibly impressed with AC2. They addressed literally every issue that was brought up with the first, right down to having nothing to do during the credits. So hats off to you guys at Ubisoft for such an amazing product.

But I dunno, throughout the course of the game, I felt odd while playing it. It's hard to explain, but it felt like it wasn't... 'Assassin's Creed' to me, for some reason. I think maybe part of the reason why was because we switched protagonists, eras, settings, and everything else.

I was a little disappointed by the fact that there wasn't as much moral grey area in this one as the first, and I miss getting to know the targets, however briefly we did. I think I was the only person who *liked* the death monologues.

It almost feels like Ezio's life was kind of a filler, if that makes sense. And I definitely enjoyed playing it through, but somehow it just didn't feel connected to Assassin's Creed and all that. Maybe because the story was too straightforward...? XD;

Although, after Ezio enters the vault and speaks with Minerva, it makes a whole lot of sense as to why, seeing as he is essentially a host for Desmond's consciousness.

*scratches head* Sorry if this is coming off as vague, but there's just something odd about this game and Ezio's story that I just can't seem to put my finger on. I mean, I loved the game, and I loved getting to know Ezio (and I loved hiring Prostitutes every ten seconds), but...

What do you guys think? Did anyone feel the same way? i feel the exact same way its just off a little bit. still i love the game. one of my favorites

keepth3beat
11-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
...but overall,it seems like the Templars are no longer interested in their New World and just want to rule. Except for Emilio Barbarigo, that is.

That's true. I didn't think of the change in their goal affecting the feel of the story itself, too.

KakashiAssassin, what do you mean adding in Sequence 12 and 13 later? I thought the data was corrupted and they couldn't load them...(plus it wasn't really essential to the storyline)?

Random offshoot, I wish they had some more of some of the better characters, too. It's a shame Rosa was in it for such a little amount of time. And Leonardo da Vinci. But if I had my way, Leonardo would be running alongside me every waking moment continuing to act adorable, so. I'm probably biased in that respect. >>;

AetosEagle
11-21-2009, 08:21 PM
It definatly was spectacular, but I think they missed out on lots. Such as only becoming an Assassin right near the end of the game. Much lacked in tension... I mean when I killed 'The Spaniard' jumping down from above, I didn't feel any tension.

Right at the end I did though. The 'God' talking to Ezio. And looking directly into my eyes. I mean seriously when she looked at me I honestly thought she was looking into my soul and speaking through Ezio, through my TV and speaking about me. So intense. I started up a cold sweat and everything.

There was definatly something missing with Ezio's personality. His family basically disappeared, with his mother going all silent and his sister sitting behind a desk. No personality except looks and charm. And I think being played through to Desmond sort of gave Ezio that feeling of being used and no connection to the player. But still, probably the best game I have ever played.

Thank you UbiSoft and the ACII team for creating such a masterpeice.

keepth3beat
11-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by AetosEagle:
There was definatly something missing with Ezio's personality. His family basically disappeared, with his mother going all silent and his sister sitting behind a desk. No personality except looks and charm.

Yeah, the thing with his mom really bugged me. She asserted herself as such a strong, likeable woman in the beginning and then suddenly went silent. The whole issue was extremely traumatic (especially for her, being taken advantage of forcefully by the guards), but over 20 years of silence...? I wish they could have done something more with her.

You're right about Ezio's personality, too. I mean, I liked him a lot, but there was something missing to be sure. I just didn't connect with him like I did Altair. I liked Ezio a lot, especially in the beginning, but as it got on I think the game got too goal-oriented and we lot a lot of that fun character development that was in the beginning.

Although I did like Ezio's taunting. I'm pretty sure he insulted someone's mom once or twice.

Coolgerb
11-21-2009, 09:20 PM
His mom was silent for so long, and then suddenly she even helps you fight the Spaniard together with the other assassins. That had me go wtf.

I did indeed miss the moral grey area, I was constantly anticipating some kind of major plot twist like his uncle being one of the bad guys (which he luckily was not), but nothing.

They didn't improve *everything* however, the free running still is unable to move in '3D'... It can only think in straight lines, if you catch my drift.
Also the AI could've used a boost. Oh and I'd like a map for all those damned feathers, please http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Even so, this has got to be my favourite game this year. It was definitely worth the wait. I can't get enough of the Venician sunset.
Oh and me having to find places on Google Earth to find a few of the spots with a glyph (as it doesn't show exactly on the in-game map) did make me lol.

KakashiAssassin
11-21-2009, 11:12 PM

KakashiAssassin, what do you mean adding in Sequence 12 and 13 later? I thought the data was corrupted and they couldn't load them...(plus it wasn't really essential to the storyline)?

i just find it weird that there is an option for DLC in the menu, and yet there where 2 sequences that we didnt get to play through.

while they may not be essential, I'd still like to play them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Losk_
11-22-2009, 01:19 AM
this is really the perfect setup for DLC, they don't have to advance the story at all which would be complicated since they left it as a cliff hanger.

I wonder if it was an intentional choice to leave those 2 sequences for possible DLC, or if they just ran out of time for the release date. I could see it being either case. I also noticed that several of the later sequences were much shorter than earlier ones.

Apeking22
11-22-2009, 11:53 AM
yeah i agree it felt off and it was weird and i agreeit just didt feel like assassins creed and i did enjoy it but its just doesnt feel right

Will_Lucky
11-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Losk_:
this is really the perfect setup for DLC, they don't have to advance the story at all which would be complicated since they left it as a cliff hanger.

I wonder if it was an intentional choice to leave those 2 sequences for possible DLC, or if they just ran out of time for the release date. I could see it being either case. I also noticed that several of the later sequences were much shorter than earlier ones.

If I recall Sequences 12 and 13 are in the DS game.

keepth3beat
11-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Coolgerb:
I did indeed miss the moral grey area, I was constantly anticipating some kind of major plot twist like his uncle being one of the bad guys (which he luckily was not), but nothing.

Also the AI could've used a boost. Oh and I'd like a map for all those damned feathers, please http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Yeah, I was waiting for the real "OH SH*T" moment, too. I mean, the whole thing with Maria/Altair had me going "W-W-WTF" but that was about it. The "big reveal" where everyone who had been helping him turned out to be assassins wasn't as surprising as they were hoping it to be, I think. AC2 was just really straightforward.

I was a little frustrated with the AI, too. It was nice that the thieves kept the guards busy, but... It'd be nice if they could knock one or two down in the meantime. But hey, they were definitely a lot more helpful than the vigilantes in the first game, at least.

At least you could buy treasure maps. That was pretty sweet. I bought a strategy guide for the feathers... I'm hoping Ezio's mom will start talking once I gather them all. >>

Also, are the missing memories really in AC: Discovery? Uuuuugggh I'm so wary when it comes to portable games, I just hate playing them. *sigh* I guess I'll have to add them to a Christmas list and pray. XD

NuclearFuss
11-22-2009, 12:52 PM
This may sound stupid but I've played through AC1 3 times and I still don't know who Maria is. Even Desmond says 'It's the woman from Acre, Maria was it?', yet I still don't know. Someone enlighten me please.

keepth3beat
11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Pretty sure Maria is the woman who disguised herself as Robert de Sable as a decoy.

alastris
11-23-2009, 01:38 AM
You guys have all hit the nail on the head. I liked ezio, but I loved altair. I really connected with him. After the dream sequence with altair (one of my favorite parts), I was hoping to get more time with him. Such an interesting character.

Part of the reason why I think we feel this way is because ezio's story is about revenge. A lot of the time its just random targets that seem to be remotely connected with his family's betrayal. Unlike AC1, where you understood more how the targets were connected.

PlagueDoctor357
11-23-2009, 02:37 AM
At first I was disappointed in the lack of long winded conversations after killing a target.

But I think as time went on people learned to stay quiet and are not so ready to give away the other templars.

Also, their goal has always been world domination and what makes you guys think otherwise?

I mean buddy did get elected pope for the sole purpose of trying to get more power and he was the Templar Grand Master.

They would of run ****.

Nowadays, all they need is a Piece of Eden stuck to a satellite dish, so they don't need to try as hard save for the assassins thwarting their plans.

I do however REALLY miss the glitches for changing the camera angle, and having the dead walk around talking in the final conversation.

Visethelegend
11-23-2009, 09:34 AM
AC 2 was amazing the only thing I had fear the most happpened, that some aliens were behind all of this, or a very old civilization whatever they are Im really dissapointed with that (this game is actually attacking the catholics to hard).The ending while the credits appear its amazing.

Edengoth
11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Coolgerb:
His mom was silent for so long, and then suddenly she even helps you fight the Spaniard together with the other assassins. That had me go wtf.
That wasn't his mom. It was Paola the prostitute.

keepth3beat
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by alastris:
You guys have all hit the nail on the head. I liked ezio, but I loved altair. I really connected with him. After the dream sequence with altair (one of my favorite parts), I was hoping to get more time with him. Such an interesting character.

Part of the reason why I think we feel this way is because ezio's story is about revenge. A lot of the time its just random targets that seem to be remotely connected with his family's betrayal. Unlike AC1, where you understood more how the targets were connected.

Yeah, I didn't realize how much more I liked Altair until I started playing as him and reading the codex pages. Not that I certainly wasn't open to liking Ezio, but Altair was so much better written in a very subtle sense. I guess it just goes to show that tacking on womanizing and an accent doesn't entirely make a personality.

I'm curious to see what happened to Altair. I think he's still got a bit left in him for this franchise, since the last codex page was about him examining the apple one last time. I'm curious to see what happened, and I can't imagine they'd put that in there without an 'OSHI--' moment to follow it at some point.

And re: the revenge story, I agree--it just felt like he was assassinating key templars, which makes sense... I mean, last game we didn't really know that they were templars until we were about halfway through or so. Now that we know it kind of takes the mystery out of it. I was a bit disappointed when the story skipped over in years, because that was a lot of growth that we missed in Ezio's life.

Also, their goal has always been world domination and what makes you guys think otherwise?

Oh yeah, it's pretty obvious that they're still running for world domination, but their methods have changed from the first game. Before they wanted world domination to control mankind's ability to possess free will to end wars and conflict. But now they're achieving that dominance through the political systems rather than by the original means of force.

NuclearFuss
11-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Pretty sure Maria is the woman who disguised herself as Robert de Sable as a decoy.

I thought that but he never gets her name. And then Desmond (who isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box, seeing as he doesn't even try to escape) suddenly knows her name! wtf