PDA

View Full Version : Help do I need a new joystick??

ForkTailedDevil
09-13-2005, 09:40 AM
So I picked up a virus a few weeks ago and ended up erasing both my hard drives and I re-installed a new version of Window's XP Pro Media Edition or something like that. Anyway I have a old Microsoft Sidewinder Pro joystick and my computer doesn't recognize it. Everytime I try to use it it says my gameport drivers are not configured properly. So I did some searches and I can't seem to find anything conclusive. Maybe to by a USB adaptor, but it seems I may have to ditch my beloved joystick. Any help would be appreciated.

ForkTailedDevil
09-13-2005, 09:40 AM
So I picked up a virus a few weeks ago and ended up erasing both my hard drives and I re-installed a new version of Window's XP Pro Media Edition or something like that. Anyway I have a old Microsoft Sidewinder Pro joystick and my computer doesn't recognize it. Everytime I try to use it it says my gameport drivers are not configured properly. So I did some searches and I can't seem to find anything conclusive. Maybe to by a USB adaptor, but it seems I may have to ditch my beloved joystick. Any help would be appreciated.

Taylortony
09-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Xp I am afraid does not recognise gameports properly, that is why everyone dropped them and went over to USB........................

I don't know if you fit a gameport to usb adaptor it will work either, in fact i dont think it will.... this information below is off the saitek site and gives you the reasons why... My X36 would work, but only as a basic stick, i couldnt programme anything...

Windows 2000/XP
The X36 Gameport is our oldest product and development ceased on the combo back in 1998, shortly before it was discontinued in production. Development will not be started again on this controller because it would be hampered by the fact that the X36 is unlikely to work on any PC that is powerful enough to comfortably run 2000 or XP due to the keyboard pass-through that it uses. This is the source of the programming ability for the stick and on modern-day faster PC's there is too much information coming through on this connection and the stick gets locked up, thus handicapping the full use of the combo. Therefore under 2000 and XP we will only be supporting our current, USB-connected controllers. Sorry for any inconvenience.

ForkTailedDevil
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Boy that sucks any recomendations on a good joystick, the few I have seen in stores seem very un-appealing.

Enforcer572005
09-13-2005, 10:16 PM
my own choice is CH products, a combo of F16 stick, pro throttle and rudder pedals is great. mine is old gameport, adn i had to ditch the throttle for the time being on xp, but the sitck and pedals work fine. new usb ones would be great. very tuff, and they fix stuff cheap whn it needs it, as i had to get some contacts replaced afger 4 yrs of use. You cant go wrong with any CH product.

BelaLvgosi
09-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Something is wrong if you had it working before in any xp version. Right now I have plugged an even older sidewinder 3d pro (95 model), the first of the optical sidewinders with twist stick + base buttons.
Try to upgrade sound card drivers, for these joysticks to work in digital mode, a fully midi compatible game port is required (else you'll get only 2 axxi, 4 buttons)and probably os default drivers wont support that. You should only need to unplug joystick, add sidewinder a sidewinder in the CP and then simply plug it.

ForkTailedDevil
09-13-2005, 10:51 PM
I had Xp before, but I upgraded to Media Edition and I have already updated my sound card so I am not sure. It sounds like you had what I had. My joystick came with Mech-Warrior and if memory serves I used to play Aces over Europe and Pacific with it.

SithSpeeder
09-13-2005, 11:28 PM
How much you wanna spend?
What are the most important features in a joystick to you?

List these things in a response and maybe we can give you our advice.

* _54th_Speeder *

...who uses a Saitek X-45, TrackIR2, CH Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Premium USB 300 Headset (all USB).

ForkTailedDevil
09-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Ease of use I suppose I have been using a 10yr old joystick so I suppose that would be most important. When I went to the store all the joysticks looked like they belong in a SCi-Fi movie. Fairly affordable is important I will most likely be going to flight school this winter and will be broke soon when I quit working full time.

SithSpeeder
09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Some of the best pilots use very simple sticks and setups. Others have very complex setups. A HOTAS system pretty much takes all the need for a keyboard out of it for me (which increases my immersion). But if you go with a HOTAS solution, you can't easily use your free hand for the mouse to look around. So if you don't use your mouse to look around, then go with a refurb X-45 (for like $30?).

Are you a twisty stick guy or rudder pedal guy? The only kinda downside to the X-45 is the rudder rocker, which takes getting used to (don't give up on it if you can't afford rudder pedals...it does work).

Don't be daunted by how a joystick "looks"--it's how it fits your hands, how programmable it is, etc., that to me is much more important (fit and functionality). Sure, it might take a bit to set-up to your liking, but once you get it there you won't mess with it anymore. Rotaries, hat switches, buttons, toggles...they're ggggGGGREAT! (in the words of Tony the Tiger).

* _54th_Speeder *