PDA

View Full Version : WW2 RAF pilot language (and NZ/Aust English)

FlatSpinMan
10-31-2007, 07:16 AM
In my current Work in progress campaign about a fictional RAF Squadron in the Battle of France I have been using a lot of authentic period speech and quite a lot of NZ/Aust colloquialisms. The main character is a NZer.

I have been lucky enough to get two German speakers and one French-speaker to translate this campaign into their respective languages and this task has proved quite difficult due to the sheer amount of "non-standard" English expressions in use.

To help their task I made up a list of many of the words and phrases I had used in the briefings. I'm posting it here as it may be helpful to some of the many non-native English speakers here if they play my campaign an despecially in SOW:BOB. It may also appeal to some of the other regulars here.

This list is not complete and I don't claim the explanations are definitive, especailly atttibuting phrases to various countries. If anyone has more info, phrases , examples please add them.

------------------------------------------
Explanation of terminology
ANZ = Australia/New Zealand
Br = British
Scot = Scottish
arch. = archaic = old-fashioned
lit= literally
expl = expletive = for example "$hit, f**k"

-----------------------------
THE LIST
------------------------
ack-ack - flak - arch, Br/ANZ
-----------------------------------
Buggar and Sod
Buggar it! = Sod it! =Damn it! - Br/ANZ, mild expletive

Catch the buggar(s)/ catch the sod(s) = Here, 'buggar/sod" is similar to "*******s" , "unpleasant man/men" - it's mildly rude

I'm buggared = ANZ slang = I'm exhausted

buggar all = modern expression (Sweet) **** All/ a.k.a. Sweet Fanny Adams - nothing at all
bloke = man, guy - Br/ANZ - still very common
----------------------------------
Bloody
-Bloody Hell! = expression of surprise, irritation = very mild expletive - Br/ANZ

-It's bloody hot! = It's very hot.
This is similar to:
It's bally hot = arch. Br.
It's dashed hot = arch. Br.
It's ruddy hot = arch. Br
It's damned hot. = universal Eng., still common

After losing the match, Jones looked absolutely bloody. - arch., Br. = furious, very angry
brekkie - breakfast - Br? ANZ, US?
Cheers = Br/ANZ= Thanks; Goodbye
---------------------------------
fella - ANZ/US pronunciation of "fellow" - guy, man
Frog/Froggie - mildy derogatory term for Frenchman - Br/ANZ/ US
-------------------------------
frightful(ly) = terribly, very - very upper class Br. expression, slightly arch.
--------------------------------
Gidday/G'day (lit. Good day) = very common Aust./NZ greeting, even nowadays = "Hi"
halfwit - idiot, fool - Br/ANZ
jammy - as in "the jammy sods" - lucky but said in envy of another person - Br.
Kiwi - New Zealand person - still common
lad - boy; man, guy - Scot/Br/ANZ
line-shooter - a show-off, an immodest person, a boaster, a braggart - arch. RAF slang - RAF pilts disapporved of pilots who talked up their adventures in the air or their flying skill. Modesty, understatement were the apporved way to talk about one's actions.
lorry - truck - Br.
Ours not to reason why, (ours but to do or die) - very well-known line from the poem "Charge of the Light Brigade" describing the suicidal cavalry charge by the British against a Russian artillry position in the Crimean War)
pipe down - be quiet, shut up - Br/ANZ
plonk - wine - Br/ANZ
Pom, Pommy = Englishman - ANZ, Scot - usually in the phrase "whinging Poms" = "complaining Englishmen" - still common
pop over (to PLACE), pop off (to PLACE) - casual "go to PLACE" - Br/ANZ
See you anon - anon - Shakespearean expression for "later" - still in use, rather literary sound
shufti, have a shufti at X = old Brit. Army slang for "have a look at X". The word "shufti' comes from India and was adopted by British troops there.
Springbok (more commonly Jappie/Yappie) - mildly derogatory term for South African person - ANZ
shout - For example "I'll shout you a drink." or "Here. Have this drink. No need to pay - it's my shout." = to pay for, "treat' someone, usually to food or drink - Br/ANZ
split-arse - For example, "The NZer RAF pilot Cobber Kain always took unnecessary risks when flying. He was no.73 Squadron's most split-arse pilot. " - arch. RAF slang
Ta =Br/ANZ = Thanks
Tipperary (It's along way to)

It's a long way to Tipperary, It's a long way to go.
It's a long way to Tipperary, to the sweetest girl I know.
Goodbye Piccadilly, farewell Leicester Square.
It's a long, long way to Tipperary, but my heart's right there.

This is one verse from a massively popular English song around WW2 (maybe earlier).
Wing - regional/local command centre for RAF (subordinate to AHQ = Air Headquarters) in the Battle of France. To be honest I don't know much about these two organisations.