PDA

View Full Version : A Question For European Scuba Divers

Esel1964
10-10-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm a long-time SCUBA diver,and was wondering if divers over there dove the D-Day "Beaches of Normandy".
I know there are remnants of Mulberries,DD Shermans that sank,landing craft(plywood-nothing but "drivetrain" and ramps left),not to mention all the vessels and concrete structures sank to create breakwaters for the Mulberries.Do people dive these places,or is the current or turbidity a deterrent.

Just curious. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
10-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Yes there is a bit of diving done off of Arromanches and I did pick up a dive guide book to the D day wrecks. But I've never bothered to dive it because quite honestly the visibility is awfull there.

I have dived off of Cherbourg on the wreck of a Belgian liner (Leopold if I remember right) in which 2000 GIs went to the bottom a while after D day. Technicaly difficult dive, top of wreck is at 40 metres and I was at 56 metres by the time I got to the screws. It's pitch black down there, 3-5 metre visibility and 12? Centigrade cold.

Quite honestly I'm becoming a bit of a delicate flower now and am quite happy to give the channel a miss - off to the Red sea next month, blue water, pretty fishes and I can chill out with a G&T on deck - that's more like it.

If you want some big wreck diving in Europe try Scapa flow in the Orkneys German WW1 Battleships and Cruisers. Done that a couple of times but again - it's cold and gloomy.

Will be nipping down to Gibraltar next year got a squad mate there who wants to show me round the wrecks there - thats more like it Sun and tappas....

STENKA_69.GIAP
10-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Here are some pics from scapa flow where the visbility can be quite good compared with The Channel.

http://ptthome.club.fr/ScapaFlow.htm

F6_Ace
10-11-2006, 06:04 AM
Not sure where the first post went but...

I've not been to Normandy nor has anyone from my old diving club as I remember which is perhaps unusual as they were very active.

Scapa was a preferred destination.