PDA

View Full Version : Sound card inquery

PACACE
06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
I want to get a sound card but I don't want to get a mistake. Are there informative opinions? I am currently wondering about audigy 4 versus x-fi extreme music (which bolsters improved gaming, my PF doesn't need it.).

PACACE
06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
I want to get a sound card but I don't want to get a mistake. Are there informative opinions? I am currently wondering about audigy 4 versus x-fi extreme music (which bolsters improved gaming, my PF doesn't need it.).

-HH-Quazi
06-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Imho, an Audigy 2 Value gets the same results as its more expensive brethren. I don't think there is any advatage that the Audigy 4 gives over the Audigy 2. Those two remind me of ATIs release of the X850 over the X800, just trying to get more $$$ for the same technology. Now the Xi-FI Creative cards do use newer technology, but I don't believe it enhances game play or in game sounds no better than its Audigy 2 cousin, at least from what I have read it doesn't. Now, if you are an avid PC music listener, then the Xi-FI makes sense.

Bottomline, a $30 to $40 Audigy 2 Value gets the job done. I actually found my Audigy 2 on eBay for $22 including shipping. I have run it for going on 2 years now without issue. Just a thought here.

mjr_health
06-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Read a review on the X-fi and on doing a game comparrison it noted no improvement in fps. I have audigy2-zs and its great. Also improved sound when copying records for compilation on cd, has a lower noise floor then sound blater. Seeems that the extra 64mb of ram on xfi really does nothing althoug its supposed to reduce ythe CPU wok load. Id look up some reviews on the web before buying.

hamselv2
06-14-2006, 05:41 PM
A couple of months ago I got a new PC.
The old one has an Audigy2 soundcard which I thought was pretty good. The new PC has a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard which gives me much better sound when firing guns.
I can't compare framerates between the 2 PC's because the new one has much better hardware.
When I fly on online servers with lots of loud explosions that are not in my pilot's field of view, I don't get the pauses I used to with the old PC. I think much of this is related to the X-Fi.

I do most of my flying wearing Plantronics Audio 90 headset.

ytareh
06-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Ive had both Audigy 2 ZS and XFi music.These are probably the only 2 serious options.Audigy 2ZS is 98% as good.I sold my XFi and went back to 2ZS...

thefarb2
06-15-2006, 02:04 AM
I have audigy 2 on one machine, and onboard sound ao the other, and they sound the same to me when playing games, the audigy 2 is much better in other applications so if gaming is the only use, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have a really good set of speakers.

PACACE
06-15-2006, 11:21 AM
I have to make a decision and depending on what I'm told by my computer manufacturer and maybe others, I'll give a performance opinion. That is if I get a fps increasing product.

FritzGryphon
06-15-2006, 03:19 PM
I think the sound card merely needs to be adequate. Expensive ones won't really improve anything in terms of quality of FPS.

Even if it did improve performance, you'd be better off getting a better V/C, or some more RAM, with that money.

Treetop64
06-15-2006, 07:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
Imho, an Audigy 2 Value gets the same results as its more expensive brethren... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Listen to the man! I couldn't agree more with Quazi. SB Audigy 2 definitely wins the "Bang for the Buck" award in my book!

Get it without hesitation.

PACACE
06-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I picked up the Fatality FPS but I couldn't install the extra component into my drive bay so it was returned. So I looked at cards again and found that the Audigy 4 claims it's a gaming sound card but was 79.99 so I spent an extra 20 and got the X-Fi extreme music card instead and it has a game mode which works real well. I haven't had any problems with it, I even downloaded a beta driver for it which works fine.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-26-2006, 09:27 AM
I hope it works out for you. It seems the highly touted onboard RAM on the XFI isn't fully utilized in any games....yet. When it starts getting utilized more, you'll already be there.

TB

WWSensei
06-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Picked up the X-Fi myself this weekend when my old card died. Got a model that was on display so got it for $50 (US). Box had been opened and only the card and driver disk was in it so the manager let it go cheaper.

Pleased with it so far, but haven't tweaked the IL2 settings yet. Curious what other XFi owners have in their conf.ini so I can compare.

I can say Oblivion is certainly much more "alive" with sound now and others tell me Teamspeak from me is clearer.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Well, I would never return my audigy2 to get it replaced by onboard sound.

But you got to be a bit more specific, than most posters did so far.

The latest generation in onboard-soundchips is really good. If you mainly listen to Pop-Musik or play IL2 over a standard headset, there's no real big difference as it was stated before.

BUT!

If you use a sophisticated headset with a range lower than 30Hz and higher than 18kHz (most headset with mike-systems stay way below these ranges), there is a HUGHE difference between any onboard sound and soundcards. Just check these boards how many complain about the crappy sound IL2 has. 99% of them use wrong hardware or wrong settings. I use a HiFi-Headset with a seperate Microphone. This Headset reaches down to 8Hz (!) and together with my A2, it blasts me off my seat each time I fire my 6 Cal50s in my beloved P40, not even to mention the sound of a P47 or even some bigger caliber guns.

But then, IL2 is not really the best engine to show the difference. I suggest you try a more modern engine like GhostRecon3 or Battlefield2, which directly supports X-FI and their main pro against all other cards on the market: Surround-Sound on a stereo-Headset. (Virtual Surround)

To answer the question about FPS improvement. Yes, there is. The problem is: You won't see much difference, as the sound-quality is lowered with a less capable soundcard, so it won't slow your PC. On the other hand, try to run BF2 with highest sound settings with onboard-sound. You'll loose 8-15 FPS with ease.

PACACE
06-27-2006, 10:24 AM
To: TDG Thunderbolt56... I don't know if my X-Fi has any onboard ram or not, I thought only the Fatality X-Fi had X-Ram (64MB of audio ram). And I'm not sure that Creative isn't confused about their product for two reasons. They could easily confuse if they are a large organization which they seem to be. In their advertisement on the box it says FPS which is (by many)considered to be frames per second however the promo guy is the best First Person Shooter they can find. I actually bought a Fatality and it wouldn't fit my drive bay which disappointed me then I realized that they don't offer an external version of the Fatality drive bay like they do with X-Fi Platinum, which is strange. Why would you have to use an internal (semi) component when you could easily use an external one, I suggest that differences in the opinion of product operation prevented it from being developed for the consumer correctly (a large group of computers, I don't know the percentages, will not accept the Fatality drive), this prevents the company from wiping out when the product does not deliver.
It does sound great though, and I wonder if the Fatality card would work w/o the drive component.

PACACE
06-27-2006, 10:29 AM
To : WWSensei...
I don't know where in my conf. file the X-Fi is listed but it did make my game faster (I believe) however I wouldn't tell people to count on that effect. I use to be a fair pilot but know I can't do anything real well, flying is complex again and requires alot more concentration.
Did you do a complete install or a partial one? I did a complete one and like all the stuff. Also, did you know there is a more current driver on the net? I acutally dl'd (downloaded) a beta and it works fine.
FIFTY BUCKS??????????? Wow I over payed at 100.00 after rebates. I don't think my box had anything in it except directions and stuff which are probably on the disk.

WWSensei
06-27-2006, 05:57 PM
PACACE,

It's only made my game "faster" in that I used to get pauses when certain sounds would play (like the AI being told to go around, for some reason, would cause a stutter) on my old card and now it doesn't.

I'm just playing around with the different options for sound in the conf.ini. Mine is currently set to this:

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=1
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=0
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=0
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=0
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=10
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=3
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=1
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=10
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8

and I'm changing each one to see the effect.