PDA

View Full Version : CoJ: BiB Technical Observations

IronCommando
07-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Hello all,

Here is some things I have noticed after playing the game for many hours.

Graphic options:

http://www.sundren.org/images/games/CoJBiB2.jpg

We can see the ability to customize the graphics has been watered down considerably from what we had from DX10 Call of Juarez. While disappointing to say the least as a PC enthusiast and long-time fan of the game, I can see why after the quibbles between nvidia and techland regarding the performance on different vendors that occurred with CoJ.

Audio: There appear to be only volume settings, with absolutely no options to configure which audio api path to use, max channels, quality of 3d surround, and even usage of eax.

My "original" config file. Please for the sake of decency, make a backup if you intend to edit the file like I did. (Audio.scr needs to be renamed to Audio.txt first to edit it in notepad, and then afterwards rename it back to Audio.scr)

This file can be found in MyDocuments/Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood/Out/Settings

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">!API(s) // DS3D, OpenAL, XACT, NoSound
!MixFrequency(i)
!Channels(i)
!ForceSoftware()
!ForceSoftwareEAX()
!ForceNoFXes()
!Quality3D(s) // low, medium, high
UseEAX()
!ExtraSounds01()
!SpeechVolume(i)
!FXVolume(i)
!WaveVolume(i)
!GlobalSettings(s)

API("OpenAL")
//API("XAudio2")
MixFrequency(44100)
Channels(128)
Quality3D("high")
FXVolume(8)
WaveVolume(5)
SpeechVolume(8)
GlobalSettings("")</pre>

My "tweaked" audio config file.

!MixFrequency(i)
!Channels(i)
!ForceSoftware()
!ForceSoftwareEAX()
!ForceNoFXes()
UseEAX()
!ExtraSounds01()
!SpeechVolume(i)
!FXVolume(i)
!WaveVolume(i)
!GlobalSettings(s)

API("OpenAL")
//API("XAudio2")
MixFrequency(44100)
Channels(128)
Quality3D("high")
FXVolume(8)
WaveVolume(5)
SpeechVolume(8)
GlobalSettings("")
</pre>

As you can see because I have an x-fi card my max channels supported is 128, not... 32.

And the fact that there was no ingame option to set the 3d audio quality at all which I have set here to "high". The API should not make a difference from the original Xaudio2 path however OpenAL is always the best choice so I have opted for it here.

I can't guarantee this will improve anything for you, but to me I did notice a difference on my high-end rig. (GTX 295, Core i7 920 @ 4GHZ, 6GB DDR3-1600 Triple Channel, X-FI Titanium Champion).

As for multiplayer, I have been unable to find any way to run a dedicated server either in the readme, or in the manual. I did however find a dedicated server settings file in the directory but no apparent way to load a server outside the game such as a command line option to the exe.

I do hope this is rectified soon as I would very much like to host a full dedicated server in the datacentre I have access to... It would have been even nicer to have a linux client but alas Techland/Ubi have never done that for any of their other games so I would not expect it here either.

IronCommando
07-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Hello all,

Here is some things I have noticed after playing the game for many hours.

Graphic options:

http://www.sundren.org/images/games/CoJBiB2.jpg

We can see the ability to customize the graphics has been watered down considerably from what we had from DX10 Call of Juarez. While disappointing to say the least as a PC enthusiast and long-time fan of the game, I can see why after the quibbles between nvidia and techland regarding the performance on different vendors that occurred with CoJ.

Audio: There appear to be only volume settings, with absolutely no options to configure which audio api path to use, max channels, quality of 3d surround, and even usage of eax.

My "original" config file. Please for the sake of decency, make a backup if you intend to edit the file like I did. (Audio.scr needs to be renamed to Audio.txt first to edit it in notepad, and then afterwards rename it back to Audio.scr)

This file can be found in MyDocuments/Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood/Out/Settings

!MixFrequency(i)
!Channels(i)
!ForceSoftware()
!ForceSoftwareEAX()
!ForceNoFXes()
UseEAX()
!ExtraSounds01()
!SpeechVolume(i)
!FXVolume(i)
!WaveVolume(i)
!GlobalSettings(s)

API("OpenAL")
//API("XAudio2")
MixFrequency(44100)
Channels(128)
Quality3D("high")
FXVolume(8)
WaveVolume(5)
SpeechVolume(8)
GlobalSettings("")</pre>

My "tweaked" audio config file.

!MixFrequency(i)
!Channels(i)
!ForceSoftware()
!ForceSoftwareEAX()
!ForceNoFXes()
UseEAX()
!ExtraSounds01()
!SpeechVolume(i)
!FXVolume(i)
!WaveVolume(i)
!GlobalSettings(s)

API("OpenAL")
//API("XAudio2")
MixFrequency(44100)
Channels(128)
Quality3D("high")
FXVolume(8)
WaveVolume(5)
SpeechVolume(8)
GlobalSettings("")
</pre>

As you can see because I have an x-fi card my max channels supported is 128, not... 32.

And the fact that there was no ingame option to set the 3d audio quality at all which I have set here to "high". The API should not make a difference from the original Xaudio2 path however OpenAL is always the best choice so I have opted for it here.

I can't guarantee this will improve anything for you, but to me I did notice a difference on my high-end rig. (GTX 295, Core i7 920 @ 4GHZ, 6GB DDR3-1600 Triple Channel, X-FI Titanium Champion).

As for multiplayer, I have been unable to find any way to run a dedicated server either in the readme, or in the manual. I did however find a dedicated server settings file in the directory but no apparent way to load a server outside the game such as a command line option to the exe.

I do hope this is rectified soon as I would very much like to host a full dedicated server in the datacentre I have access to... It would have been even nicer to have a linux client but alas Techland/Ubi have never done that for any of their other games so I would not expect it here either.

Danthelondoner
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Have you managed to find a way to enable VSYNC?

IronCommando
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes, edit the video.scr file, it also has some other graphic options which can be increased.

Danthelondoner
07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IronCommando:
Yes, edit the video.scr file, it also has some other graphic options which can be increased. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't find video.src, only audio.src

It's supposed to be in Techland &gt; Call Of Juarez- Bound In Blood &gt; Coj2 &gt; Out &gt; Settings
right?

IronCommando
07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
No use the MyDocs/Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood/Out/Settings

The one in the install directory is the default config file, you want to edit your user config file.

AceBandage1975
07-01-2009, 01:31 PM
wow! Good stuff commando! Thanks!

What are some of the advanced options you can change in the video settings that you don't have access to through the game options?

Can't wait to get home from work and explore!

Keep up the great posts!!!

AB

IronCommando
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Here is the video.scr file, you can find it in the same folder as audio.scr mentioned in my original post.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> !Resolution(i,i)
!WindowOffset(i,i)
!Monitor(i) // -1 primary monitor
!BPP(i)
!FSAA(i) // Full Screen AntiAliasing, 0 - none, higher is better
!TexBPP(i)
!TextureQuality(s) // VeryLow, Low, High
!Filtering(s) // Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic, AnisotropicTrilinear
!GammaFloat(f)
!MaxRefresh(i)
!Shadows(s) // Low, High
!ShadowMapSize(i)
!Lightmaps()
!Fullscreen()
!VSync() // enable vertical sync
!MaterialQuality(i) // lower is better
!WaterQuality(i) // lower is better
!GrassQuality(i) // lower is better
!FXQuality(i) // higher is better
!FXFadeLevel(i) // 0-4 (lower is better)
!EnvQuality(s) // FullDynamic, RareDynamic, Static
!ShaderPath(i) // 0 - 1.1, 1 - 1.4, 2 - 2.0, 3 - 3.0, 4 - x360, 5 - 4.0, 6 - ps3
!PostProcess(s) // Simple, Normal
!DisplayDeviceType(i,f,f,f,f) //device type (LCD TV etc.): 0 - default
!Curves(s) // curves texure

Resolution(1920,1200)
Monitor(0)
BPP(24)
FSAA(4)
TexBPP(32)
TextureQuality("High")
Filtering("AnisotropicTrilinear")
Fullscreen()
Shadows("High")
ShadowMapSize(2048)
Lightmaps()
GammaFloat(0.90)
MaxRefresh(60)
MaterialQuality(0)
FXQuality(3)
FXFadeLevel(0)
WaterQuality(0)
GrassQuality(0)
EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
ShaderPath(3)
Postprocess("Normal")
DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.0 00000)
</pre>

Using this config file I was able to use Anistropic-Trilinear which is an even higher form of texture filtering. You can also enable VSYNC and antialiasing through the edits I made above. Note that changing the shader path to 4.0 will not give you DX10 -- it is not supported in this new engine from techland.

I also increased the shadow map resolution to 2048, I am not able to tell a huge difference but I do believe I have improved the resolution quality.

CommieRed1975
07-04-2009, 03:19 AM
great stuff, thanks. Knowing Techland they probably realised that DirectX 10 is still a niche market globally and a better DirectX 9 performance outweighs the few benefits of D10. I know that my 3 year old comp runs the game a lot better at higher settings than it did the old CoJ. Perhaps in future Techland with release a D10 patch like the first game.

phpessotti
07-05-2009, 05:45 PM
hi there. when i change my video settings in note pad to enable vsync, my resolution resets to 1024x768. Anyone know why this is happening. thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

phpessotti
07-05-2009, 06:52 PM
anyone know whats up with vsync?

Danthelondoner
07-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Everytime I change the vsync in the video.src it resets itself, help???

phpessotti
07-05-2009, 10:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danthelondoner:
Everytime I change the vsync in the video.src it resets itself, help??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yup, that's whats happening to me. help us! lol

Doctor_Hades
07-06-2009, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phpessotti:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danthelondoner:
Everytime I change the vsync in the video.src it resets itself, help??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yup, that's whats happening to me. help us! lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't remove the ! in front of the entry that's already there, instead add V-Sync as an extra option at the bottom of the list. That's what I did and v-sync has been working fine for me since.

That said, if I Alt-Tab back to the desktop and back it disables v-sync until I quit and load the game again. Easy solution to that is not to use Alt-Tab!

phpessotti
07-06-2009, 07:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doctor_Hades:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phpessotti:

Don't remove the ! in front of the entry that's already there, instead add V-Sync as an extra option at the bottom of the list. That's what I did and v-sync has been working fine for me since.

That said, if I Alt-Tab back to the desktop and back it disables v-sync until I quit and load the game again. Easy solution to that is not to use Alt-Tab! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks man. I'll try that when I get home and report back later. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Lagge_92
07-06-2009, 08:19 AM
the best way for vsync is through the nvidia control panel or catalyst control center for ATI. I have been trying different stuff with these files too especially the video settings, enabling AA doesn't seem to work, not even forcing it, I think this is because CoJ uses deferred lighting (?) and then AA is only available in DX10 which CoJ doesn't use.

I have tried changing the shadow resolution and I can't go over 2048 or the game will crash when trying to load a map. I did a comparison with 1024 and 2048 and they looked about the same to me :/ (horrible)

This game looks amazing in some places but horrendous in others, some textures I'm amazed made it into the final game :O I would love to increase the draw distance of vegetation which is about 3 meters right now on max :O it's annoying when traveling in the open levels with a horse.

It might sound like I'm bashing this game but in fact it's probably the best game I've played in a long time! I LOVE IT http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

phpessotti
07-06-2009, 09:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lagge_92:
the best way for vsync is through the nvidia control panel or catalyst control center for ATI. I have been trying different stuff with these files too especially the video settings, enabling AA doesn't seem to work, not even forcing it, I think this is because CoJ uses deferred lighting (?) and then AA is only available in DX10 which CoJ doesn't use.

I have tried changing the shadow resolution and I can't go over 2048 or the game will crash when trying to load a map. I did a comparison with 1024 and 2048 and they looked about the same to me :/ (horrible)

This game looks amazing in some places but horrendous in others, some textures I'm amazed made it into the final game :O I would love to increase the draw distance of vegetation which is about 3 meters right now on max :O it's annoying when traveling in the open levels with a horse.

It might sound like I'm bashing this game but in fact it's probably the best game I've played in a long time! I LOVE IT http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn my computer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif I cant force vsync in the ati control center.

Danthelondoner
07-06-2009, 10:41 AM

That did the trick Hades, it runs smooth as silk now.

phpessotti
07-06-2009, 12:23 PM

That did the trick Hades, it runs smooth as silk now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just got home and tried you trick, and it worked. Thanks buddy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Z-Overlord
08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
so How do I do it for EAX?

I put the EAX() line in my audio.scr and it has no audible difference. Am I supposed to put a value in it?

HuXx
08-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Excellent info, cheers guys.

Dont spose you chaps know if your able to edit your controls via notepad either do you?

GROMRoland
08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been trying different stuff with these files too especially the video settings, enabling AA doesn't seem to work, not even forcing it, I think this is because CoJ uses deferred lighting (?) and then AA is only available in DX10 which CoJ doesn't use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lagge, that's very close. ATI has problems with HDR lighting effects in DX9 with any form of FSAA turned on. There are a few patches (game specific) that work around it, but the only true fix so far is DX10.
I haven't really looked very hard at the shader support but I'm surprised to hear this is not running DX10. I set this video.scr to shader model 4 on the 2nd day after release (at the same time I maxxed out all the other settings in this file) and thought it made a huge difference. I had just assumed it was pushing DX10 effects since the graphics are so superior to COJ1 in every respect (except speed/performance).

Now you guys got me curious, I'm gonna have to go run some tests to see if you're right. If this is only DX9 (which I suspect you're correct) it's a huge accomplishment for Techland, because these are the best graphics I've seen (only other game that compares is Crysis/Farcry).

HuXx
08-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry for my newbishness, i am unable to open the file to edit it.
I try renaming it to a .txt file, but it does not give me an option to "open" when i right mouse click.
Could some one clue up this noob plz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif