PDA

View Full Version : Track Ir - looking for suggestions

Tozzifan
03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I've just bought it and I was wondering

- if there are optimal settings for sticking with this device into PF

- if, when upon entering dogfights or using padlocking views, you stay with Track Ir or disengage it and rely on standard padlocks

, thanks

Dumbo_AK32nd
03-24-2006, 03:14 PM
- if there are optimal settings for sticking with this device into PF

All I did was select TrackIR's default "combat flight" setting and I was good to go. Of course, your mileage may vary...and I'm sure others will chime in here shortly.

- if, when upon entering dogfights or using padlocking views, you stay with Track Ir or disengage it and rely on standard padlocks

This will be a matter of personal preference, and also a matter of getting used to TrackIR. Initially, I had one of my joystick buttons mapped to the "pause" hotkey I had mapped for my TrackIR...I had to do this so as not to botch my carrier landings lol. After awhile, however, I got brave and tried flying (and landing on the carrier) without pausing the TrackIR. Now, I never pause it and I freed up that joystick button for another function. I actually like it because...while on approach...I can quickly shift my head up and down between watching my glide path and my instruments. But this takes some getting used to.

The only padlock function I use anymore is the external padlock (but only occasionally) to maintain my SA...and to enjoy the "eye candy"! I do not use the "in-cockpit" padlock functions at all anymore. Yes, TrackIR is THAT good IMHO.

Whatever you do, the bottom line is this...

Now that you've got TrackIR, you'll never want to fly another sim without it!

WWSensei
03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
I use the combat flight profile as well only I sped it up just a bit and flattened out the speed drop toward the front.

Once TIR is on for me I don't turn it off until I land and if externals are on and I want to look around...then the mouse is better.

Otherwise I'm flying with always on. I don't use deadzones either as that just ends up being an artificial crutch to the locked down forward view. Tends to make you lock focus on the crosshair and try to fly the enemy to the crosshair when in reality you lock your eyes on the enemy and fly the crosshair to it.

thefruitbat
03-24-2006, 03:24 PM
hi, this is a really good guide explaining how to set up your trackir

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/tir_setup.htm

hope this helps, cheers fruitbat

hamselv2
03-25-2006, 05:19 AM
I use the TrackIR4.
I have made a profile with a big deadzone at the center, and steep curves at the sides. That works really fine.
I use TrackIR with a 21'' monitor at 1920x1440 resolution.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Make sure there aren't any bright lights behind you as that can confuse the TrackIR and give you some weird results.

horseback
03-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Took me a couple of weeks to get fully acclimatized--my biggest problem after getting the default air combat profile edited to my satisfaction was my unconscious tendency to toss my head back in triumph after seeing strikes on my target--next thing I knew, I'd be looking at my rear canopy framing, and my intended victim was getting away.

My advice is to assign F12 (if possible) to your HOTAS setup for centering TIR and F9 to pause or toggle it off if you must go to regular hat or mouse viewing. I love TIR while actually flying, but it's often a PITA while viewing my tracks or using external views in general.

cheers

horseback

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-31-2006, 08:49 AM
I always use it in-game and never use it to view tracks.

I also fiddled with the default combat profile and sped the whole thing up a bit.

TB

EiZ0N
03-31-2006, 09:27 AM
What the heck are padlocks anyway?

I'm going to sound like a total goon asking that, but I've heard the word used for years and never really understood what it reffered to.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Something you want to stay away from (Flame on! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif ).

Padlocks give you an unrealistic radar of someone else's presence. It can range from nearest friendly to farthest enemy, air or ground and divert and padlock your view in that direction.

TB

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by EiZ0N:
What the heck are padlocks anyway?

I'm going to sound like a total goon asking that, but I've heard the word used for years and never really understood what it reffered to. Padlock is a feature in flight sims, that locks your view on another aircraft or ground unit so you don't lose track of them.

For instance if you're in the cockpit and select 'Padlock Enemy' your view in the cockpit will be locked on an enemy aircraft. If you fly by it your head will turn as it goes by. You can't turn your view left of right because it's locked on that target. You must select another view or disengage that Padlock view to break the view lock. For some, it's handy, and others don't like it. I find it helpful sometimes. In Pacific Fighters you can Padlock Enemy and Friendly, and Air and Ground units.