PDA

View Full Version : x-54 saitek stick what are the thoughts

blackpulpit1970
10-13-2005, 07:49 PM
For those that have it how is it. My x-45 is a little sticky when flyin so it actually sucks for aiming, was thinkin of upgrading to x-54 and need to no what users think.

Tully__
10-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I prefer the X-52 except for the twist rudder. Got to get me some of those rudder pedals... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p-11.cAce
10-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I love my x-45 but it has a few years on it and even the candlewax trick is not helping that much. I'm thinking of upgrading but I have no room for pedals and I hate the thought of losing the rudder rocker on the throttle for a twist stick. I know the rocker switch is not nearly immersive but it seems less distracting than the thought of twisting the primary input for yaw control.

gx-warspite
10-13-2005, 08:58 PM
X-52 is quite light compared to X-45. Many people who switch over don't like it for that reason.

I'm probably one of the very few people out there who owns a full CH line-up but sticks with the X-52 because the ergonomics are so, so very good. It's an amazingly comfortable stick, more reliable than the X-45, though obviously not as reliable/accurate as the CH. It's got a weird little dead zone in the middle that can't be eliminated.

Bearcat99
10-13-2005, 09:02 PM
I use the X-45.. but then I have a different setup.. I use a MSFFB2/X-45/CH pedals setup...

SithSpeeder
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
I have used the X-45 as my primary stick for at least 3 years now. To improve your handling for aiming, I would suggest the following:

1. Do the cheap candlewax trick at the base (if you don't know what this is, let me know)
2. Adjust your sensitivity, giving a small deadband and then a gradual increase.
3. Get rudder pedals (if you don't already have them)...that helps lateral control a lot (e.g., CH Pro pedals)

I have felt the X-52 in the store and it does feel much smoother (lighter?). But it's not worth the moulah to me until my X-45 dies. Plus, I use the rudder control for mixture control (up and down)--wouldn't want to map that to the yaw axis of an X-52.

* _54th_Speeder *

Udidtoo
10-14-2005, 01:24 AM
Although it took a few weeks of practice before I quit over correcting because of the light touch needed compared to the 45 after finding the right balance I don't regret buying the 52 at all.Coupled with the ch pedals my aim improved considerably when shooting long range deflections.

It has even more programming options than the 45 and its obvious they listened to some input from X45 users. Even if the advanced programming seems to daunting its very user friendly right out of the box and the mouse emulation already set by default right where I liked my X45 was a big +.

Also the suction cups(which I had slots for but could never get delivered on the 45 and I've heard the same from others) really hold on strong. If I want to take it off my desk I have to slide it to the edge or they pull loose from the slots.

My only knock is the connection between the stick and throttle. It uses S-video connectors and they don't like to be pulled out during use. Usually requires a restart of FB if they come unplugged.

1.JaVA_Hornet
10-14-2005, 03:29 AM
I have the x52 for an half year now but
i couldn`t accustom to this stick because
of the throwing of the stick when you
want to turn.

I have the CH fighterstick now and i am the old
veteran again.

BelaLvgosi
10-14-2005, 05:59 AM
The biggest difference you'll notice will be longer throw, and way lighter action. Add to that the twist stick (some love, some as me prefered the rocker).

When I had my x45 (actually had a x52 for a few days too) I solved the stickiness with graphite dust, most use candlewax or pure silicon grease which works too. To apply the graphite, I simply scratched (x acto)a 2mm soft pencil refil to all of the moveable parts, holding the stick in many positions so I could lube that shaft (it's very important to keep lubbed, because if it starts to dent, you can't get rid of unsmooth action), all of the cone and the upper part of the rubber circle too. I can assure you that if properly done, it will feel completely other stick.

Bearcat99
10-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
I have used the X-45 as my primary stick for at least 3 years now. To improve your handling for aiming, I would suggest the following:

1. Do the cheap candlewax trick at the base (if you don't know what this is, let me know)
2. Adjust your sensitivity, giving a small deadband and then a gradual increase.
3. Get rudder pedals (if you don't already have them)...that helps lateral control a lot (e.g., CH Pro pedals)

I have felt the X-52 in the store and it does feel much smoother (lighter?). But it's not worth the moulah to me until my X-45 dies. Plus, I use the rudder control for mixture control (up and down)--wouldn't want to map that to the yaw axis of an X-52.

* _54th_Speeder *

Unless you have flaps on a knob and prefer that try using the rocker for flaps. Make a 3 banded switch with the center being a null zone and F & V on the outsides.... You will find it works quite well...

zetareticulan
10-14-2005, 07:14 AM
The throttle on my x45 gave out, it wouldn't decrease beyond 15 - 20% power.

Iv'e now got it mapped to a rotary. It really isn't the same and an x 52 is looking increasingly likely.

The graphite trick sounds like a neat solution, BelaLvgosi. b.t.w., you're not a bauhaus fan by any chance are you?

Hello Bearcat. You still mad about the P.O.T.U.S. posting? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

iroseland
10-14-2005, 07:18 AM
the x52 is a great stick. My last stick was the Cyborg USB gold, it was kind of lame and was no longer centerable. The 52 though has taken alot of abuse over the last 8 months and between the serious number of buttons, switches and the shift I nearly never have to touch the keyboard. I am a pretty big fan of not having to mess with my keyboard to change the prop settings or turn on my nave lights. It makes trim about 1000 times easier. It is a very light stick, thats really my only complaint.
It is a good enough stick that I took the time to learn to fly right handed.

What more can I say?

BSS_AIJO

dbillo
10-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by gx-warspite:
(re: X-52) It's got a weird little dead zone in the middle that can't be eliminated.
You should be eligible for a replacement. Contact tech support. This is a known fault with earlier model nos. My X-52 had a deadzone in both roll and pitch, and Saitek replaced it. The new one is perfect!

Tully__
10-14-2005, 05:09 PM
When I had my x45 I solved the stickiness with graphite dust
Not a good idea... graphite conducts electricity and will play havoc with your pots if it should get inside the stick.

adlabs6
10-14-2005, 08:42 PM
What Tully said. It's been candle wax for me for 3 years now, works great, and only just a few applications over all that time.

And I might mention that I'll probably stick with my X45 as long as it works, I really like it. This is why I never converted my X45 FB profile to the X52, as I didn't upgrade.

BelaLvgosi
10-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by zetareticulan:
The throttle on my x45 gave out, it wouldn't decrease beyond 15 - 20% power.

The graphite trick sounds like a neat solution, BelaLvgosi. b.t.w., you're not a bauhaus fan by any chance are you?

There's a simple way to solve that 15% problem, during calibration don't let it catch it's full range. I don't remember if it asks to "move to full" then "move to minimum" or "move across all range", simply start calibration with it in the middle. When the lower value it's asked, simply pull it only until a place that you are sure it will have a reading. By this way you'll turn your 20-100% range into 0-100, with a greater dead zone for idle.
Other way to do it, is downloading saiteks deadbander utility, I don't remember exactly, but I guess you can shorten the pot range in the extremes too.
The first thing you should try is to clean it, in http://www.saitek.ru/other/x45inside/ you can see how it will look inside, use a contact cleaner spray into the pot's holes (they are there for it!). http://www.saitek.ru/other/x45inside/RUD_selected/Itog_Big/010.jpg it's this pot, in this other stick pot http://www.saitek.ru/other/x45inside/RUS_selected/Itog_Big/015.jpg you can see a whole between the casing and that small pcb. Spray, turn it to spread cleaner and release dust particles, clean again. I done that with the stick's pots only after some weeks of having it, and all axii became way less jittery and more precise.
Either way, if you contact saitek they'll probably send you a new throttle pot by mail for free, some people in their forums had it done.

Oh btw, yes, Bauhaus fan here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (I guess most look at my nick as a girl name or something, let alone know who's the actor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif )

BelaLvgosi
10-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I had my x45 I solved the stickiness with graphite dust
Not a good idea... graphite conducts electricity and will play havoc with your pots if it should get inside the stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If done properly it simply wont get into the stick, because excess should always be blown off. Even if the gets inside it would be very very hard for it to enter the pot holes, let alone stick into the tracks.
I prefer pure graphite as its free of any slight stickiness that candle wax may have and its easier to let it slide into less exposed parts as the whole shaft which I got covered. After a few hours of use, the extra will fall into the rubber at the bottom and blowing it way is easy, but should be done of course. It will need some apply, play play play re-apply cycles to get it fully done, but then after it worked at least 4 months without need to re apply. Its easy to check, because lubbed parts get a distinct grey shine.
Usually candles in the house have a lot of extra stuff as colour and odors do make them look nice which might not help, but of course this is the most proven choice, but imho, cant do its job so well done as graphite.

Hey on top of what was recommended, add zip ties to the spring to make it lighter, it will reduce most of the stickiness and with time, the shaft wont get so dented.