PDA

View Full Version : IL2 multiplayer 'bots'?

Atomic_Marten
03-22-2005, 07:31 PM
It would be nice if someone has interest in doing such thing. I'm sure that would help a bunch of guys that are creating dogfight (and not only DF) maps.. then map can be tested offline also.

Also in another perspective, there are some servers outhere that have enemy bases on good distance (far away), so if AI can occasionally spawn like bomber with bomb loadout and head for enemy base to bomb it that aspect would also be awesome. Yes, all that on dogfight map.(especially with unflyable aircraft).

In all my time on IL2 forums I have never seen such initiative, and that isn't because it's undoable for sure..

ImpStarDuece
03-22-2005, 09:10 PM
It's a nice idea Marten. I would personally love to see bomber flights spawning into dogfight missions occasionally. Flying on 334th a few nights ago some guys were putting together boxes of 4 to 6 bombers and I had one of my best nights ever both attacking and defending those formations.

There might be a few limitations to "bots" in the game though;

1) The AI itself. Depending on how the (prospective) new Flight Model turns out, your PC is already puching a lot of polygons and making a lot of calculations. When you add AI into this mix things could get very heavy or very laggy quite quickly. My co-op experiance is limited to a few dozen missions though so I really don't have that good a handle on how much the AI would slow down the game.

2) There is a serious and noticable difference between the AI and human flyers. I flew off-line for two years before starting playing PF online since late Janruary. I KNOW how the AI reacts to particular moves. I don't know how a human will react at any given time, thats part of the fun. Flying agaisnt the AI in co-ops when there are real human players out the to go up against is anti-climactic and a little disappointing.

3) Most games with AI bots have distinct 'personalities' for their bots. This would be an interesting concept for the serise I think. Imagine having a 'cautious' bot and an 'agressive bot' and a 'flashy' bot. Still, the more complex the AI routines are the more limiting it would be in the game so maybe all bots would end up acting the same, which is boring.

People go online to test their skills against other living, breathing individuals. Or the nearest fascimilie the can find on the internet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Being confronted with hordes, or even just several, of bots in a dogfight, co-op, scripted server or whatever might take away some of that thrill at besting a real opponent in combat.

LEXX_Luthor
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I once read a good post or article on this subject. The humanoid players can be considered the "expert" or experienced rank pilots and the AI the less experienced. Also, flying like AI could be a useful deceptive tactic, much as real life combat pilots often assumed they were attacking a Newbie pilot but found themselves tangled with an Ace. No matter, for serious online war, you may need AI to fill out the ranks, especially for bombers, if everybody wants to be a dogfighter.

Troll2k
03-23-2005, 12:28 PM
In the IL2 series(IL2,FB,AEP,PF)there has never been nor will there ever be any AI controlled objects in a DF map.

Formations of bombers spawning and attacking targets while you are busy elsewhere is relegated to the realm of the coop.