PDA

View Full Version : A dumb question from a newbie - Sorry...

Lopo1969
04-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Hello, guys...
I have a little problem with the Wildcats...
When I try to take off or land manually and want to get in or out the gear with the key "G"... it doesn't work with this type of plane! I'm obliged to take off and land in auto mode while I fly with others aircrafts, it works! Can someone help me?
Thanks a lot...
Take care

Speedfellow
04-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Hi Lopo, its not a stupid question lots of people ask it. You have to assign a key for manual raising and lowering gear. Then you have to keep hitting the key until the gear is raised or lowered.

FrenziedAU
04-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Note that the manual gear also applies to the I-16.

tigertalon
04-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Speedfellow explained it nicely. Also, I-16 has manual gear operation.

It's also worth mentioning, that sometimes on planes where G key should work, after receiving battle damage, gear will not lower (or raise) due to damage. If you are lucky, you may still be able to operate landing gear with the manual gear operation keys, like explained above.

And to answer other two questions from the "wholy trinity", you uncover the gunsight on some early planes (Ki-27/43, F2A, SBD...) with Ctrl-D (by default), and you center gunsight on zero and on german fighters by Shift-F1.

XyZspineZyX
04-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Lopo1969:
Hello, guys...
I have a little problem with the Wildcats...
When I try to take off or land manually and want to get in or out the gear with the key "G"... it doesn't work with this type of plane! I'm obliged to take off and land in auto mode while I fly with others aircrafts, it works! Can someone help me?
Thanks a lot...
Take care

background on the Wildcat's gear:

It was almost a trademark of Grumman's at the time, to have a fairly odd but robust main gear that was actuated by what was in essence an over-sized bicycle sprocket and chain arrangement. Very effective, but a holdover from a previous generation of aviation by the 1940s. It's part of why the F4F looks so tubby

You may watch the crank handle spin in the cockpit, in-game. Look to the right side of the cockpit, next to the seat and under the sliding portion of the canopy

berg417448
04-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Another feature of the F4F Wildcat is that the flaps are automatically retracted at 250 km/h (155 mph).

Lopo1969
04-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks a lot guys for your quickly answers... I will try a manual operation to raise and lower gear.

Take care