PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best GFX Card?



Liberator_13th
02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone

What is a good graphics card for PCI-e users that will play IL-2 on perfect settings and that will run SoW: BoB without becoming obsolete by the time it is released...???

I really need to upgrade.

Airmail109
02-09-2007, 02:17 PM
PCI or PCI-E

If PCI, forget it none will, upgrade your entire system to 2007 spec

If PCI-E go with an 8800GTX or ATI R600 (which looks set to be faster than the 8800 when released)

Id say a spec that wud run BOB well wud be

Intel Core 2 Quaddro
2 to 4 gig of PC-8000 DDR2 Ram
10,000 RPM HD
Good Mobo for Overclocking
2x8800GTX SLI

or

1 possibly 2 ATI R600s

Seeing as thats the sort of specs Alan Wakes being run on maxxed out, id be really....really suprised if that couldnt hack BOB at a decent level

Im betting Processing power will be important for BOB.

A quad core or one of the future 1333 FSB 4ghz Core 2 Duos, wud be good.

WOLFMondo
02-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:

Seeing as thats the sort of specs Alan Wakes being run on maxxed out,

Or get an xbox 360 for less than even a single DX10 graphics cardhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Scorpion.233
02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
PCI or PCI-E

If PCI, forget it none will, upgrade your entire system to 2007 spec

If PCI-E go with an 8800GTX or ATI R600 (which looks set to be faster than the 8800 when released)



Id say a spec that wud run BOB well wud be

Intel Core 2 Quaddro
2 to 4 gig of PC-8000 DDR2 Ram
10,000 RPM HD
Good Mobo for Overclocking
2x8800GTX SLI

or

1 possibly 2 ATI R600s

Seeing as thats the sort of specs Alan Wakes being run on maxxed out, id be really....really suprised if that couldnt hack BOB at a decent level

Im betting Processing power will be important for BOB.

A quad core or one of the future 1333 FSB 4ghz Core 2 Duos, wud be good.


Don't be stupid, those specs are rediculously high. Unless he has like 5000 to spend on it.

Airmail109
02-09-2007, 02:48 PM
If he wants to run BOB at decent settings, id say ud need those sorts of specs. Tho in a year when BOBs released, that system will be a lot cheaper and wont be bleeding edge tech.

Best to buy a cheapish card now say an ATI X180o/X1900 or Nvidea 7800/79000 or when it comes out a slightly more expensive Nvidea 8600 and save for a rig when BOB hits the shelves.

Basically a low/mid-range card now, will run BOB on Minimum settings. According to Oleg.

RocketDog
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Think about it. If you need those specs to run BoB, Oleg will sell four copies of the game and go out of business. BoB will have to run on middle-range machines at the time of release. If you can run IL-2 in perfect mode now with decent frame rates you will probably be OK for BoB.

Cheers,

RD.

Codex1971
02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Oleg has stated that a high end system today will probably be a mid range system by the time BoB is out.

stansdds
02-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Liberator_13th:
Hi everyone

What is a good graphics card for PCI users that will play IL-2 on perfect settings and that will run SoW: BoB without becoming obsolete by the time it is released...???

I really need to upgrade.

What's the rest of your system? The Nvidia 8800GTX is great (I guess, I have a 7950GT and it's a little faster than my CPU and RAM), but what about your CPU and RAM?

Liberator_13th
02-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah I forgot to add the "e"...yes I'm PCI-e.

Edited first post.

As for my specs:

-AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 1.77 GHz
-1 GB RAM, but it's integrated so I guess now it's 960 MB of RAM
-Integrated ATI 200

I basically am an idiot...so I have no experience with installing new hardware...but I guess I can give it a shot.

Chivas
02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
The best card at the moment is probably the Nvidia 8800GTX. In March it will probably be the ATI R600. By June it will probably be the Nvidia 9000GTX. By Dec 200X Nvidia will out of business and the AMD ATI 16/32 core cpu/gpu hybrid will rule. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

TopGunBkk
02-10-2007, 12:33 PM
thats alot of money to blow for one game

I ahve a geforce fx 5200 works fine with 1 gb
you work for that company?

If you want to know go read what people say dont juts buy it because joe blow says too

hell my memory is ddr1 why waste money
keeping up with jones is sily.

I have 80 gb maxtor
1gb memory ddr 1
geforce 5200 fx
runs perfect

Eagle_361st
02-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Depends on your budget but here are a few recommendations and general prices.

Mid range- Evga 7600 GT $110

Mid/High range- 7900 GS $150 (My personal pick)

High range- x1950xtx $330

Super High- 8800 GTS $400

SuperUberHolyCowOMGFTW range- 8800 GTX $600

zi say pick up a 7900 GS from Evga for around $150 they are a very nice card and will hold you well until the next big thing comes out.

Xiolablu3
02-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by TopGunBkk:
thats alot of money to blow for one game

I ahve a geforce fx 5200 works fine with 1 gb
you work for that company?

If you want to know go read what people say dont juts buy it because joe blow says too

hell my memory is ddr1 why waste money
keeping up with jones is sily.

I have 80 gb maxtor
1gb memory ddr 1
geforce 5200 fx
runs perfect

Topgun, the 5200 is a really really bad card.

If you are running Perfect, then you must have a low FPS. I have a GF5900 Ultra 256mb and if I run perfect even with this card, my frames per second is too low, under 20fps when I look at the shoreline. Thats too low to fight a dogfight.

If you can upgrade that card, you will see a massive improvement and find it much easier and smoother to fly online.

II_JG1.Priller
02-10-2007, 04:37 PM
There's no sense in spending big $$$ on the latest and greatest beast as the rest of your system wouldn't let one of those cards "breath".
Go with one of the mid-range options listed in the other post:


Originally posted by Eagle_361st:

Mid range- Evga 7600 GT $110

Mid/High range- 7900 GS $150 (My personal pick)

zi say pick up a 7900 GS from Evga for around $150 they are a very nice card and will hold you well until the next big thing comes out.

Either of those cards will be such a huge step up from your on-board video it's not even funny.

Xiolablu3
02-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by II_JG1.Priller:
There's no sense in spending big $$$ on the latest and greatest beast as the rest of your system wouldn't let one of those cards "breath".
Go with one of the mid-range options listed in the other post:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eagle_361st:

Mid range- Evga 7600 GT $110

Mid/High range- 7900 GS $150 (My personal pick)

zi say pick up a 7900 GS from Evga for around $150 they are a very nice card and will hold you well until the next big thing comes out.

Either of those cards will be such a huge step up from your on-board video it's not even funny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

stansdds
02-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Liberator_13th:
Yeah I forgot to add the "e"...yes I'm PCI-e.

Edited first post.

As for my specs:

-AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 1.77 GHz
-1 GB RAM, but it's integrated so I guess now it's 960 MB of RAM
-Integrated ATI 200

I basically am an idiot...so I have no experience with installing new hardware...but I guess I can give it a shot.

Integrated RAM? Integrated video? Are you sure your motherboard and BIOS will allow you to add a dedicated graphics card? Are you looking at a PCIe slot or does your motherboard have two or three PCI slots for things like modems and network cards?

Monterey13
02-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I am going to upgrade here really soon.
My specs....
Biostar M7VIZ motherboard
Amd Athlon XP2200 1.8ghz
1 ghz Rosewill DDR 333 ram
Geforce 4 FX5200 256mb Video Card AGP 8x
80gb seagate HD
400w power supply
Trackir 2

The game runs really smooth for me on perfect at 1024x768.
My FPS stays around 30 in perfect with Trackir on.

I am looking to upgrade next week with the best components I can get without killing my bank account.

Spectre1968
02-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by stansdds:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liberator_13th:
Yeah I forgot to add the "e"...yes I'm PCI-e.

Edited first post.

As for my specs:

-AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 1.77 GHz
-1 GB RAM, but it's integrated so I guess now it's 960 MB of RAM
-Integrated ATI 200

I basically am an idiot...so I have no experience with installing new hardware...but I guess I can give it a shot.

Integrated RAM? Integrated video? Are you sure your motherboard and BIOS will allow you to add a dedicated graphics card? Are you looking at a PCIe slot or does your motherboard have two or three PCI slots for things like modems and network cards? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

If you post mobo make and model it will help

Eagle_361st
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Yes he has a PCIe slot on that board, it's one of those ATI chipset boards that has the IGP 200 integrated video card. Probably a HP or Compaq. I still say go with a 7900 GS for the money you will be amazed at the quality of the card, and will be able to run just about everything out there at max settings.

Treesqueak
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Go here for a comparison of video cards.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

I'm still trying to decide which card I want. I'm leaning toward:

8800GTS
7900GTX
7950GT
7950GX2

Right now my plan is to upgrade my computer. VISTA not for atleast a year or so. Not until its matured more.

Right now my biggest issue is trying to decide which video card. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Mike

Chris0382
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Spend an extra $50 and get a 7900GT over the 7900GS
look at it this way you could be out at a bar spending $50 on beer a night. Instead your at home having a nice beer and fraggin enemy fighters and keeping you drivers license.

I believe there is a significant advantage of the GT over the GS just as there was when I took my 7600GS back and got a 7600GT.

JR_Greenhorn
02-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I just bought an eVGA GeForce 7900GS KO about a month ago ($155 from newegg). I had narrowed down my choices to that and an eVGA 7950GT (the 256MB version, not the more common one with 512MB). The 7950 was about $45 more, but I was talked out of it by the guys in the community help forum. I spent the money on a better PSU instead (700W instead of 550W).


My whole rig was such a step up for me that I can't help but be happy with it. I run Il-2 at 1600x1200 with all in-game video settings maxed, all config.ini video settings that I know of maxed, and 4x AA and AI. I haven't run fraps or anything yet, but the only problems I've seen so far are the "black arc" and some slowdowns at certain altitudes over Berlin. I didn't have my RAM set up correctly for dual channel mode at first, and Berlin got a lot better after I fixed that. I'm still not sure if the Berlin slowdowns are graphics, RAM, or CPU.

As for the "black arc," I had it with the driver that came with the card, so I installed nVidia's latest driver, and overall the graphics look slightly better, but the arc problem got worse. I guess I just keep trying different drivers until something takes care of it.


Not the most technical or objective testimonial, but hopefully it helps someone. I haven't had any regrets or second thoughts about my 7900GS

Treesqueak
02-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
Spend an extra $50 and get a 7900GT over the 7900GS
look at it this way you could be out at a bar spending $50 on beer a night. Instead your at home having a nice beer and fraggin enemy fighters and keeping you drivers license.

I believe there is a significant advantage of the GT over the GS just as there was when I took my 7600GS back and got a 7600GT.

The 7900GS isn't on my list. I'm finding it difficult finding a 7900GTX though lots of GT.

Mike

TopGunBkk
02-12-2007, 02:07 AM
i could get that card for 50 bucks hahahahha
bangkok baby where the cards are made

Liberator_13th
02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks very much for the help.

I'm willing to spend $400-500- No more... So looks like I may go with the 7900. The 8800 GTX is tempting but it just sounds too expensive and I doubt my relatively weak system could run it well.

And yes I am on a Compaq/Hp system.

Airmail109
02-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Get the 320mb 8800 GTS, which goes for about 170 quid here in the UK

Very good card

Or the slightly more expense 640mb 8800GTS for about 250 quid.

Theyre far faster than a 7900 and within your price bracket

The 320mb 8800 GTX is getting 55-60 fps outdoors at 1600x1200 on oblivion. Thats something. 2 Ati x1900 crossfired could barely do that.

It can be overclocked by almost 100mhz as well.

Liberator_13th
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
One problem is finding a good place to order from... So far I've found places selling 7900s for at least $500 and some for around $700. I guess I should try ebay...

BigC208
02-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Asus P5E sli $130
Conroe 6600 2.4 Ghz at 3.6Ghz $310
8800GTS at 650ghz core and 2000ghz memory $350
2gb corsair xms 6400 $210
This runs Il2 at 1600x1200 with water=2 and aax4
afx8 at about an average of 60fps in the black death track. In a 16 Vs 16 quick build mission it runs around 100fps most of the time because of monitors refresh rate. When SOW comes out and I need more power I can swich to a quadcore if that runs faster and get the latest and the latest greatest GPU at that moment.(my sister will be dancing in the streets for she gets my leftovers)