PDA

View Full Version : saved game location?

buckminster
09-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Where are the saved games located? I looked in the game directory (typical location for Cyan) and under My Documents (like Revelation) and didn't find anything that looked like a save game related to Myst V...

I like to back up saved games so in case I need to reinstall my system I can pick up where I left off.

Thanks!

myster3
09-22-2005, 08:25 PM
goto c:, documents and setting, [username], local settings, application data, myst V end of ages, sav, store.

-myster3

buckminster
09-22-2005, 11:39 PM
thanks. Gets annoying when you have to hunt down things like this in hidden directories on your computer.

Eat_My_Shortz
09-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Gah that is a fairly annoying place for saved games. Better than Myst 4 tho and those other rude games that shove them in your My Documents folder.

Don't game designers realise that people like to KEEP FILES in there!? And don't want games making mountains of folders there too.

Thasaid0n
09-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Thank god this question is llready on the board, WITH an answer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I was going crazy looking for those saved games...

I just installed Myst5 on my PC last week, and started playing. But now I need to go on a business-trip, and wanted to "port" my saved games to my laptop.
Yeah... I know... I'm addicted :P

BulaRae
09-25-2005, 11:51 AM
and for Mac users it's equally as deep:

[name of your main hard drive]>Users>[name of your primary Admin user with little house icon]>Library>Application Support>Myst V End of Ages>sav

I'm not crazy about how they installed it this time... it's in three subfolders! First Ubisoft>Cyan Worlds>Myst V and that's in your Applications or Games subfolder where you specify! Yikes!

maryc64
10-02-2005, 04:52 PM
This is the only thread that addresses game save location. My problem, and I don't think there's a solution, I deleted game saves thinking that I'd have less pages to turn.
Is it too much work and too iffy for a rather "novice" computer person to mess with those files to really delete game saves?
I'd imagine I'd have to get into several files to do that?
If it's a hassle and best left untouched, just say so! Tx.

uecasm
10-03-2005, 01:23 AM
The thing is that in order to comply with the Windows Logo specifications and to support multiple users with separate saves, there's only really two places that saves can go. Either in Application Data (which is hidden), or My Documents (which isn't). Nowhere else is really "safe", on a machine with multiple users (especially if some of them are limited users).

And yes, maryc, you should probably leave the files alone if you consider yourself a novice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just delete them in-game if you want -- that will reduce the number of pages you have to flip, if not the disk space used. Evidence seems to point to the slots getting overwritten (ie. if you delete game 1, then the files are left behind, but the next save you make replaces them), so it should be self-correcting.

maxticket
10-04-2005, 02:34 AM
What a terrible system! I don't install or run applications off my OS drive, so I never would have looked on my OS drive to find a savegame file.

Mowog
10-04-2005, 07:04 AM
I'm at work at the moment, and can't check this, but are your journal text files saved in there too? I remember in Path of the Shell, where the text was saved as an HTML document in the SAV folder. Is EoA similar?

uecasm
10-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Yep, they're all in there.

KingDutka
10-08-2005, 06:06 PM
I am having troubles using the Journal and Camera. After reading this and checking my folders, I don't have a Myst V folder under C:\Documents and Settings\[ME]\Application Data.

Can I just create the stuff I need there manually? Reinstalling seems like it would take too long...

myster3
10-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't have a Myst V folder under C:\Documents and Settings\[ME]\Application Data.

you aren't looking in the right folder - please read my earlier post *very carefully*.

-myster3

Mr_Picklesworth
10-10-2005, 09:25 AM
THANK YOU CYAN!!!!
For not putting the game's save data in my "MY Documents" (My Documents, nothing else's) folder.
I hate it when things do that, and they're doing it more and more these days...

KingDutka
10-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I ran a search of my entire system and there is no "Myst V End of Ages" folder anywhere. I can't even find a folder containing the word "myst" anywhere. I reinstalled 3 times. This is absolutely ******ed.

Heimdall_G
10-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Check *all* of your various disks and partitions for \Program Files\Ubisoft\Cyan Worlds\Myst V End Of Ages. With your system, who knows where the installer put the EoA files.

Specifically, look at the EoA start icon's path.

Alahmnat
10-23-2005, 05:03 AM
And while you're at it, make sure you have Explorer set to view hidden folders, or it won't return anything as a result.

Bonglois
03-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Oh yeah! Gee! Thanks!!!!! Great place to make the saved games go. My game is installed on D:, and the saved games are saved on C:.

Why do I install my games on D: u say?
- So I can easly formate my disk without loosing such things as these..

Guess how happy I was when I started Myst V up again....

unca_alby
04-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Anybody know where the images for the save points are kept? In Uru, you could take a picture, then independently open the JPG file for closer viewing. Some clues are easier to spot or catalog if you can enlarge the image. I followed the hierarchy down to the save files, but I can't find any image files.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

guy.wild
04-21-2006, 03:51 AM
I haven't started to play Myst V yet. I want my gf to enjoy all the previous installments - and she loves them - before immensing into V.

But I wouldn't be surprised if you can change where the saves are placed by taking a look in the registry. I've done that successfully on many occations.

/g

Heimdall_G
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Look in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1\Journal\images.

If you don't find anything there, use Windows Explorer to search your hard disk(s) for image0001.jpg.

To be sure we're on the same page, the Camera is the shiny blue globe in the upper right corner of the screen, third icon from the right.
-- a. If you're in the mode in which the screen view follows mouse movement, right-click to lock the view.
-- b. Move the cursor to the upper right corner of the screen. The line of icons should appear.
-- c. Click on the Camera to save your game progress to date.
-- d. You can go back to the places where you did saves, with all game progress up to that point intact, by clicking on the rust-red book next to the Camera and selecting the desired save.

If searching doesn't yield anything, are you sure your Camera button/icon is working properly?

unca_alby
04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Look in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\Sav\Store1\Journal\images.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Ah HAH! There they are!

Many thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif