PDA

View Full Version : ** SPOILERS ** Dear Assassins Creed Team

Moonsurfer_1
12-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Dear Assassin's Creed Team,

I hope you will take at least 2 years for the next sequel. Assassins's Creed Revelations felt rushed and just wasn't good enough to end the Ezio storyline. A great protagonist like Ezio deserves better. Hell, even the intro of
the game was rushed: you just reused the trailer!! You should have started the game in Present time with the other present time assassin's reacting to desmonds situation or something. The story was too short and there were a lot less sidequests than Brotherhood or AC 2. Even though the multiplayer of Revelations is great and improved since Brotherhood (where it was also pretty good), AC is still mainly a singleplayer game, so this matters little.

I was really disappointed to see so little references in the game of Ezio's past: besides duccio there were no characters from brotherhood or ac 2 that came back. I would have liked to see Leonardo da Vinci come back in this game, as he was supposed to be Ezio's best friend, even if it would have been only by mail. There also was little in the story about pieces of eden this time until the very end, even though the facebook game looked like we were going to play with a lot of them this time. It would be great if Ezio also would have gotten letters from his brothers in Rome or from his sister, or if we could have seen how his mother met her end.

All of these shortcomings wouldn't have been so bad if at least the story of Revelations was good enough, but I'm sorry to say that the whole story of suleyman was quite boring, as the story was badly written. You don't get much of a connection with suleyman nor Yusuf for that matter. This was better in Brotherhood and MUCH better in AC 2. (The story of AC 2 was still the best of the whole series. And I hate to say, but even AC 1 had more of a good story than Revelations) Please get your act together! I want a game like AC 2, not Brotherhood or Revelations. (Even though Brotherhood was pretty good compared to Revelations). I want to be able to visit more than one city/village and
have the full experience (viewpoints, towers, buying stores, collecting items for that great armor at the end of the game) or at least visit a big one, because - no offense - but I believe Constantinopel was about as big as Venice in AC 2. I want to get to the bottom of local conspiracies (just like AC 2). Not just one with some prince I really don't care about, as I don't get a connection in the game with him in any way or some random templars in the district. Take a good look at how you created AC 2, because it was the best game ever made!!

You promised to give a lot of answers to questions in the previous games, but we don't even get a sufficient answer to the question what happened to Lucy. The quote about her funeral by subject 16 doesn't count, as I expect him to be able to read Desmonds memories through the animus, so he would just "guess" that Lucy is dead, even though it is unconfirmed by the people outside the animus, which is another shortcoming actually.

You really should have let Desmond get out of the animus in the middle of the game, so we would be able to get more information about lucy and the present. Even if these would be small interludes with desmond awakening as a confused chaotic blend of the three characters (Ezio, Alta´r, Himself) in present time and the other characters reacting to that, that would have been enough.

Also the combo Desmond, Alta´r, Ezio wasn't really done well... In some trailer you could see desmond carrying the apple and illusions of Ezio and Altair would show through the apple. (Or Ezio carrying the apple, i don't remember) I haven't seen any of that in the game actually. It would have been great if Ezio could have met Desmond/Alta´r through illusions of the apple, and somehow the combined might/communication of them would be vital to the ending of the game. (Yeah I know you have done some of that in the ending, but it just was a shade of what it could have been)

Another thing that really sucked were the Desmond missions. Who of you thought going through a first person maze with a monologue of desmond and only jumping and placing 2 different blocks around would be a great idea? I mean really? At least give us a few story missions of him going through all that!

Don't get me wrong: I still love the franchise and I WILL buy the sequel, but I really hope you will take your time this time and make up for your mistakes, as I am really disappointed by the way you dumped Ezio.

I Believe us fans of your franchise deserve a lot better!!

Looking forward to your next Assassin's creed game

EDIT: And what about Subject 16? He really was quite hollow in this game. First you make it look like he wants to join in in Desmonds body, but you've done nothing with that. Unless Subject 16 grabbing Desmond on deletion was just that.

wolfy000
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree and believe all the following should be considered for a new AC game

1 Remove the need for armour, dont make it compulsory to buy it, make a tutorial if needed, so many people like the game without armor

2 Longer story, the games are good but the story is uncomfortably short for many people, for AC 3 aim for mabey a little longer then AC 2, the longer the better if you retain the smae quality

3 Have a mode for example if u get 100% where the gampley is really different, as follows should aplly to this mode

- Seriously reduce the health, you shouldn't be able to be shot like 3 times and then just recover after 10 seconds or whatever, if u get stabbed it shouldt be a nuisance it should be as if u were stabbed, obviously dont make it to hard but it s so unrealistic and way to easy

- The amour should not make it so you can get stabbed like 20 times, it makes you way to powerful a full set of armor should only increase your health by say 4 or 5 squares, just because your wearing armour doesnt mean you can jump off a 12 story building and think nothing of it

- Medicine needs a massive change, you sholdnt be able to just keep drinking some flesh numbing salts (assassins creed encyclopedia) and be compltely fine, at the least it should take a time like the looting symbol so ur invincible in battle, you should have medicine pouches where whoever needs to buy different types like bandages, poulitices, decompression creams or whatever for his feet after he has fallen off a building, then do they 3 times as long as the loot symbol so they cant just constantly heal in battle, do an animation for each type of healing as well to keep it realer, this way people wont just throw themselves off a massive building into a squadron of soldiers and think nothing of it

- Major change to the stealth system, possibly have a hide or crouch position, or even a hide against wall. But also change the AIs if they are in a castle and see some dead bodies they should just look at it and move on they might sound the alarm, be on the lookout so they are activly looking for u, making it harder to hide so they might see u if u were otherwise anonymous. Same concept with standing on a beam or roof and shooting a whole squadron of soldiers with a crossbow, u think after 3 of ur mates have died u might look up or start a search, possibly have soldiers report and if some soldiers dont report, set a high alert or something, but also u should have the chance to kill the one who is going to set the alert with his commander or something

- They should also have a stamina system so he cant sprint everywhere and fight and then just keep sprinting, if they get injured they should have slower reflexes (less window to counter attack). This way if people just sprint from one side of the map to the other it will be incredible hard to fight, this makes it so much more real and makes it harder, ezio is awesome but it just ridiculous sometimes, if he is injured he should have less stamina for obvious reasons, healing should increase it but not straight away

- Enemies should also be harder in numbers, the amount of damage they do and less of a window to counter attck

- This should be optional, optioinal to play in this mode and every one of those aspects should be an optional turn on or off thing

4 Balance out the economy system, no more stages where you have to much money do it so it becomes easier and u feel u have progressed but be sensible

5 For the next AC put in as buyable options in say a tailor, every single skin, armour and just regular clothing of every assassin creed game to date so players can wear their Favorite outfit of all

6 Add in a NEW NEW game aspects not in revelations with the improvemnts which were good but like in brotherhood with massive new arsenal, assassination using like anything, chain kills, secondary weapons. Bring new stuff like that to the table

rileypoole1234
12-16-2011, 01:51 PM
There are quite a few threads like this already http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

value_zero
12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
There are quite a few threads like this already http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Great, that one will destroy all of the internet.

rileypoole1234
12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by value_zero:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rileypoole1234:

Great, that one will destroy all of the internet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why make another thread when there are already at least three exactly like it?

SolidSage
12-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Releasing the Intro to the game as a trailer was an excellent decision. Made better by the fact that said trailer was one of the most phenomenal CGI sequences created to date.

ProdiGurl
12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I remember seeing gripes that the Brotherhood trailer wasn't how Ezio fought Cesare - - & it should be just like that.

Now they're bad for adding the Trailer and using it to start the mission. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Once again, devs just can't do anything right.

Serrachio
12-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by SolidSage:
Releasing the Intro to the game as a trailer was an excellent decision. Made better by the fact that said trailer was one of the most phenomenal CGI sequences created to date.

I don't think it was actually, for those who had already saw the E3 trailer, it was rather boring actually.

I know it detailed Ezio's journey, but it cut the player off from the end of Brotherhood and placed us awkwardly into the start of the game.

Even Brotherhood had a short cinematic once Ezio tried to grab the staff to explain the climbing obstacle at the start.

SolidSage
12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
@Serrachio
So if they hadn't released it as a trailer it would have been fine? Guess they shouldn't show any game previews before release then, in case they bore someone later.

As far as the tutorial, Altairs ghost didn't make it obvious enough? Along with all the action prompts pausing you before each required action?

I dunno man, seems like you're always negative about it. Not your cup of tea maybe. Time to jump to a new franchise?

Serrachio
12-16-2011, 04:07 PM
@Serrachio
So if they hadn't released it as a trailer it would have been fine? Guess they shouldn't show any game previews before release then, in case they bore someone later.

As far as the tutorial, Altairs ghost didn't make it obvious enough? Along with all the action prompts pausing you before each required action?

I dunno man, seems like you're always negative about it. Not your cup of tea maybe. Time to jump to a new franchise?

No, I'm not saying that releasing it as a trailer was bad, but once it had been shown as a trailer, why did it need to be re-used in game?

With the ending of Brotherhood and the start of Revelations, we weren't really connected between the events.

I don't believe that narrated cutscenes really engage the player enough, and distracting them with visuals doesn't let the spoken part sink in as well.

And just so you know, constructive criticism isn't going to be nice. The whole part of it being criticism is that you're going to be analysing parts of the game and offering advice.

So no, it is not time to "jump to another franchise".

Just because it explained how to advance through the game at the opening, it doesn't allow the developers a way to cop out by the recycling they've done.

It seems to me that they have grown placcid with the series and then have to scramble at the last moment to piece everything together, all because they've divided the game over 6 studios.

ProdiGurl
12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I personally want the trailer on my disk to have intro'ing this game. I thought it was kool to bring us thru what happened and then continue the gameplay from there.
Much better idea than just offering it if you don't click "start" at the beginning so it Loops repeatedly.

It was the most amazing Trailer I've seen in a long time.

grant770
12-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Shaun confirmed that lucy was dead, he mentioned her funeral and that she was buried in a little cemetery outside rome. If you stand there for a few moments in between sequences on animus island before ezio writes his letter, then you will hear this.

Il_Divo
12-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Well, I personally enjoyed the hell out of it, flaws and all.

I can't say I'm thrilled with a year long deadline or with multiplayer, but I still consider Revelations to be an enjoyable title, even from a narrative perspective.

SolidSage
12-16-2011, 04:23 PM
@Sarrachio
Criticism is good, reasonable criticism is better.
Part of the game being released as a trailer doesn't seem to be a major issue really.
As far as tying ACB and ACR together, it was like 20 years later right? 2&B were much closer together in timeline, so that doesn't strike me as odd either. I actually think B's start was more of an oddity, launching on the staff and then getting no major prompting about climbing out of the pit.

"Cop out" and "grown placid" sounds more like uninformed insults than sincere criticism. Do you know how hard they worked on the project, do you know if this was the only project they were working on?
I might agree if you said game content was less probably because of the time they spent developing the (luke warmly received and therefore probably a waste of assets and time) Den Defense and Med Defense mini games. That's my main criticism anyway, the rest of it is SO much like all the other games that I can't see justification for too much critiquing...other than shooting the breeze.

ProdiGurl
12-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
Well, I personally enjoyed the hell out of it, flaws and all.

I can't say I'm thrilled with a year long deadline or with multiplayer, but I still consider Revelations to be an enjoyable title, even from a narrative perspective.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Serrachio
12-16-2011, 04:36 PM
@Sarrachio
Criticism is good, reasonable criticism is better.
Part of the game being released as a trailer doesn't seem to be a major issue really.
As far as tying ACB and ACR together, it was like 20 years later right? 2&B were much closer together in timeline, so that doesn't strike me as odd either. I actually think B's start was more of an oddity, launching on the staff and then getting no major prompting about climbing out of the pit.

"Cop out" and "grown placid" sounds more like uninformed insults than sincere criticism. Do you know how hard they worked on the project, do you know if this was the only project they were working on?
I might agree if you said game content was less probably because of the time they spent developing the (luke warmly received and therefore probably a waste of assets and time) Den Defense and Med Defense mini games. That's my main criticism anyway, the rest of it is SO much like all the other games that I can't see justification for too much critiquing...other than shooting the breeze.

Actually, from ACB's end to Revelation's start, it was only around 4-5 years.

Also, considering that Brotherhood took around the same time to develop as Revelations, the amount in it and its length does make me feel that they have gotten lazier as the series progressed.

At least when it came to Brotherhood, there was much more of an effort put into it than what I've seen in Revelations.

When I say "cop out", I'm not saying that in accordance to the developers, I'm saying it as what the game comes across to me, considering that there are a lot of features that are only barely implemented, and it feels like to me that there has been a lot that could have happened but that there wasn't enough time to have it in.

lukaszep
12-16-2011, 04:38 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you just said. A lot of work went into the game, but it still felt rushed. S16 was wasted in my opinion. 2 games building up to this, clues, and brief dialogue. It was so mysterious, and as perfect his character was, he was nowhere near fleshed out enough. Countless other moments and story beats in the game were wasted. (Not to say i didn't enjoy the game, i just believe it could have been better).

I agree it is an amazing trailer, but it probably wasn't the best choice to use as an opening to the game. It was cool, but i'd already watched it at least 20 times (not kidding). I felt pretty let down, so wasn't the best way for me to start the game. Especially after commenting on threads, guessing what the opening of the game would be like, hoping for something as amazing as AC2's opening.

SolidSage
12-16-2011, 04:44 PM
@Sarrachio
Brotherhood was great, as was 2 and 1. Following up masterful craft work of their kind has to be the most difficult task a developer faces. I mean even the sequels to the Matrix and LOTR were...LESS great. It's that natural occurence that makes it easy for me to be thrilled by ACR. I thought the cinematics were the best in the series yet. And although the Boss wasn't SO Boss, the story appealed to me more than ACB's, which was more of the "here's the main really bad guy, get him, oh he got away, kill some of his peeps and get him later".
I feel exactly the same amount of satisfaction playing ACR as the others, with the exception of AC1, which left me in awe because it was the original reveal of AC mechanics.
ACR wasn't as full of content as the others. So there I might agree that it was short on production time, why I don't know. But I imagine that ACB MP was in development during AC2 release so ACR MP, even thought it was an entirely different studio, may have used up some of the funding or creative development minds.
Content, content, content, I just want a lot of it and I'm happy.

ProdiGurl
12-16-2011, 04:46 PM
But where you start in the game is exactly where the Trailer leaves off . . so newcomers who may not have seen the Trailer will need to see what happened - why you're messed up & even there to start with.

It's a story lead in. Not everyone who buys AC are eating up every bit of info & date on it.

I think we're just deciding that AC has to be what we want & do what we want or else ...

Following up masterful craft work of their kind has to be the most difficult task a developer faces. I mean even the sequels to the Matrix and LOTR were...LESS great.

haha, I use the Matrix as an example too. Same thing.
I would also include Resident Evil too.
I forgot about LOTR. But to be honest, they played the final LOTR (return of the King) today on Starz & it was refreshing to see a different one for a change.

crash3
12-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I wonder if ubisoft is only reading our comments on those topics that had a deadline to reply to, are our own topics not in bold meaningless? Oh ye and I think Ubisoft should make a much longer and more in depth game next time, ACR was way too rushed

lukaszep
12-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
But where you start in the game is exactly where the Trailer leaves off . . so newcomers who may not have seen the Trailer will need to see what happened - why you're messed up & even there to start with.

It's a story lead in. Not everyone who buys AC are eating up every bit of info & date on it.

I think we're just deciding that AC has to be what we want & do what we want or else ...

I completely understand what you're saying, but if someone has never played the franchise before played AC:R, watching the trailer would explain little, but you're right it would provide a story lead in and at least some motivation for playing.
We are deciding what we want AC to be. I can't speak for everyone else but i don't expect the developers to read all my comments and listen to me. I'm not annoyed that it isn't the exact game i want it to be, i'll continue to buy the games. UbiMontreal does check the forums, which must mean they at least care about what the fan base has to say right? Whether they listen to it or not is another thing entirely.

ProdiGurl
12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I didn't think they checked the forums (I saw a few comments that they don't), but when I saw Ubi Feedback threads, I got Xcited thinking maybe they would read our opinions.
Honestly it's why I've hung out here more often than I ever have before.

SolidSage
12-16-2011, 05:43 PM
@Prodigurl
Yeah, the problem with the great Movie trilogies or sequels, especially Matrix and LOTR, is that production is so much better now that we can consume it all so rapidly, to the point of almost becoming numb to how exceptional it all is.
I am exactly the same with LOTR, watch one a few years later on it's own and it's all "holy shiz, this is so much more awesome than. I gave it credit for". Although Boromir's death scene has ALWAYS been the single best set, whether in books, cartoon or newest movies. The only dude without special genes or a ring, the one true human in the fellowship, faced the challenge without support and then wasted a TON of chumps. My personal hero since boyhood...that's how I'm going out. Jackson's version gets the crown.
Anyway, I imagine it might be the same with ACR for some of these guys after they let it rest a bit.

smengler
12-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I haven't read through this thread, so I don't know what's been said already.

When I first started the game and the trailer started, it seemed really odd. It just didn't seem to fit. First of all, the only thing that made the trailer so good was the music. Without the music in the video, it wasn't nearly as good.

Moonsurfer_1
12-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Actually I do agree that new people couldn't have watched the trailer, but still: I would have liked if the game started off somewhere else and the trailer would have been an in-game event to get the first masyaf key or something. I just meant the trailer didn't seem to fit in there.

I also really missed Ezio's theme music in the game. Especially the intro. It just felt off...

Concerning Lucy's death: yes, i've heard the very lines, and you could make up that lucy died, but still I don't believe it. You'd think after being a major cliffhanger in brotherhood it would be much more of a big deal, no?

Btw, I might have missed something, but didn't you guys think it's odd that there was only one side-quest for each "guild"? (Warrior, Thief, Roma). Just one? I don't understand. They didn't even use characters of these guilds at all, except for that one mission!! That was also one of the gripes I had with the game. This too smells like the game was rushed.

You'd think that after creating the level design and modifying the engine a few more quests and missions would have been easy to do, especially because they can be created by other people than the devs.

kriegerdesgottes
12-23-2011, 08:30 PM
I remember seeing gripes that the Brotherhood trailer wasn't how Ezio fought Cesare - - & it should be just like that.

Now they're bad for adding the Trailer and using it to start the mission. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

That's a totally different argument though. That argument is saying that the events that took place in the Brotherhood trailer never happened at all in the game. This argument is saying did you seriously just copy and paste the e3 extended trailer into this game and say it counts as a playable memory?

ProdiGurl
12-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

That's a totally different argument though. That argument is saying that the events that took place in the Brotherhood trailer never happened at all in the game. This argument is saying did you seriously just copy and paste the e3 extended trailer into this game and say it counts as a playable memory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way they incorporate the Trailer into the game to lead the story off is brilliance -
I never imagined it would be anything that people decide is "boring" and stupid to incorporate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, it's baffling me how some can be so impossibly critical of some aspects of ACR.
Oh I know the "we all have the Right to dislike & complain" thing.

The issue I take is when it looks like everything is being trashed.

If Ubi made something black, people would be whining that it wasn't purple... if it was blue, you'd have chronic complaints that it isn't black.

Another example - Ezio's outfits.
People were whining that Ezio stood out too much w/ his garb, so Ubi fixes that & gives him an outfit that fits in w/ the crowd.
Did they get praised? NO. Now we see complaints that Ezio looked too drab & boring.
The "white" wasn't "white enough".........

See where I'm going with this?
I get real tired of it when a company can't win for losing.
No matter what they try, they get this.

dxsxhxcx
12-24-2011, 04:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

That's a totally different argument though. That argument is saying that the events that took place in the Brotherhood trailer never happened at all in the game. This argument is saying did you seriously just copy and paste the e3 extended trailer into this game and say it counts as a playable memory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way they incorporate the Trailer into the game to lead the story off is brilliance -
I never imagined it would be anything that people decide is "boring" and stupid to incorporate!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the problem some people are having with the trailer is that there's some moments in the trailer that don't follow a chronological order, like the boat part where Ezio is heading to Constantinople or he going by foot to Masyaf (lol), these events happened AFTER and BEFORE the events in Masyaf but they still appear in the video, what makes the video don't make much sense as a memory..

kriegerdesgottes
12-25-2011, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:

I never imagined it would be anything that people decide is "boring" and stupid to incorporate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, it's baffling me how some can be so impossibly critical of some aspects of ACR.
Oh I know the "we all have the Right to dislike & complain" thing.

The issue I take is when it looks like everything is being trashed.

If Ubi made something black, people would be whining that it wasn't purple... if it was blue, you'd have chronic complaints that it isn't black.

Another example - Ezio's outfits.
People were whining that Ezio stood out too much w/ his garb, so Ubi fixes that & gives him an outfit that fits in w/ the crowd.
Did they get praised? NO. Now we see complaints that Ezio looked too drab & boring.
The "white" wasn't "white enough".........

See where I'm going with this?
I get real tired of it when a company can't win for losing.
No matter what they try, they get this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no doubt that people whine about stupid things but this is inevitable and will never stop so you might want to get used to it and I absolutely don't mean that in a mean way because I do respect your opinions and you in general but some people(not all) who are negative about certain things(and I include myself) are only negative because we are very very concerned about the direction the franchise is going. I agree things like the color of Ezio's white robes is a bit of a ridiculous argument. I thought they looked cool by the way but the point with that trailer being put into the game as if it was a memory is a very clear sign of cutting corners and lack of time needed to make that into an actual playable sequence. It's the most blatant sign I've ever seen of cutting corners in a video game.

As far as the whole not being able to play the Brotherhood sequence because it wasn't in the game is different because that particular part just didn't happen to be included which I never thought was a big deal although I'm sure some did. They just showed it at e3 for the cinematics and it would have been cool to play but who really cares? This however, what they did in Revelations was a something much worse than that. I mean come on, the first sequence of the game is an e3 trailer people! Ubisoft can not keep making these games annually and it appears they are struggling more and more to make it happen. We are worried. That's all. Or I am anyway.