PDA

View Full Version : How to remove attachments from guns on PC (the hard way)

LCGuardian
04-30-2010, 12:29 AM
I've seen a lot of people on the PC section of the SCC forum, and especially the console side, asking how to remove attachments from guns that they don't like. I've found a way ... unfortunately.

Just got the game today in NZ, and I've been playing most of the day. I got up to the White House, with a reasonable number of upgrades for weapons, and with both the DLC weapons and the collector's edition exclusive code weapons downloaded. And then, at the part where Fisher is entering the White House proper, and the game is saving after the cinematic (the three red goggle lights showing at the top of the screen) ... we had a power cut. Only for a couple of seconds, but it switched the PC off during the save process. And when I restarted the PC and the game, my saves were gone completely. Absolutely freak occurence, that there would be a power cut in the couple seconds it takes the game to save, but hey.

Cutting off the save process part way through seems to have messed up the saves on my PC and on the Ubisoft cloud server, because they were gone, along with everything I had unlocked. The game was as new when I first started it this morning, to the point of having to redownload all unlocked weapons, and all weapons and attachments downloaded during campaign are relocked.

So I've got a few hours replaying pretty much the entire game to reach where I was up to. But more importantly, for those looking for a way to completely wipe the attachments from their guns (maybe remove an ugly reflex sight from a pistol or something similar), I think you could maybe simulate my experience by replaying the campaign, waiting for a save point and while it is saving, pulling the plug from the wall. Should be the same loss of power, and probably the same result.

It's a radical solution for those who want to remove attachments, but I suppose it would let anyone who did want to remove attachments play through the game again and only get the ones they want. At this point, its the only solution I've seen to removing them. And to reassure anyone considering this, anything unlocked via code redemption is still available, and Uplay rewards still appear to be present. So think of this as a way to return to factory settings, so to speak.

Sypron
04-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Not a good idea to kill the power to your PC while it's in use. It's an even worse idea to try and kill the power to your PC while it's in a write cycle. On one hand you might wipe your SC:C campaign progress, on the other hand you might corrupt your drive.

I would actually reccomend you buy a UPS to avoid the problem in future.

Xessive
04-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Ok, why don't you just save the trouble and risk of damaging your system by simply deleting your save files.

First step: make sure Ubisoft Game Launcher (Uplay) is not syncing your saves (by clicking the little cog icon on the launcher). Then just go and delete the save file from the "storage" folder in the Ubisoft Game Launcher folder.

Anyway, your proposition is not a solution to remove weapon attachments. It's just a "scrap it and start over" approach.

LCGuardian
04-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I would say its definitely not an ideal solution, but I guess it's a solution. If deleting the save file would accomplish the same thing, then that's obviously the better solution. Whether that would just delete campaign progress and leave the weapon changes and unlocks might be an issue though.

Not an ideal situation, but I guess my post was half motivated by trying to describe such a crazy coincidence. What are the chances that a power cut a couple seconds long happens at the same time that a save taking a couple of seconds happens? Certainly not a solution that I would have chosen to remove weapon attachments, if the power company had given me the choice.

Xessive
04-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by LCGuardian:
Yeah, I would say its definitely not an ideal solution, but I guess it's a solution. If deleting the save file would accomplish the same thing, then that's obviously the better solution. Whether that would just delete campaign progress and leave the weapon changes and unlocks might be an issue though.

Not an ideal situation, but I guess my post was half motivated by trying to describe such a crazy coincidence. What are the chances that a power cut a couple seconds long happens at the same time that a save taking a couple of seconds happens? Certainly not a solution that I would have chosen to remove weapon attachments, if the power company had given me the choice. Haha I know how you feel! I've had that happen a few odd times!

It just makes you think "WTF! n all the time the game was open why would the power cut in that tiny 2sec interval!! WHY GOD?!" haha