PDA

View Full Version : problem I have with the beginning of AC:R *SPOILERS*

xxtonypunk96xx
12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Anyone else think it was kinda lazy that they used the extended E3 trailer in the beginning? I mean it was kinda a cool way to open the beginning but when you pay more attention to it like when Ezio was going to be hanged he had his vambraces on but when you start climbing Masayf he doesn't have them on. another thing is when he began to fight in the trailer he dropped his cape and bag and they never showed him picking it up I mean if he brought a bag he must have had something important in there. I think they should just stick to good old gameplay for the beginning or at least add some details to not be sloppy and rushed.

luckyto
12-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Yes. I'd have much rather played it. That would have immersed me in the events deeper. As a result, Sequence 1 was kind of humdrum for me.

assassinato_862
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Also his eye-color was different, it was...not welcome really. He looks like some sort of predator.

joaomuas
12-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Am I the only one to actually LOVE that sequence!?

souNdwAve89
12-01-2011, 03:50 PM
It is cool how they incorporated it, but I would have prefer some closure from Brotherhood to this. It would have been nice to play as Ezio running around Acre and doing some missions along the way. Maybe even start the game off in Rome, then to Acre, and eventually Masyaf. Like some have said, it would have been cool if we got to play the cinematic until it makes us get distracted by Altair's phantom.

Assassin_M
12-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by joaomuas11:
Am I the only one to actually LOVE that sequence!?

I do too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

kriegerdesgottes
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes that is something that annoyed me right away. I remember sitting there and all the sudden it popped up and I realized then that instead of putting that into gameplay they just copied and pasted the extended trailer in there and my first thought was "Are you kidding me"? I like the game but that just screamed rushed and recycled to me. I love that trailer but it shouldn't have been included as part of the game.

twenty_glyphs
12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
It felt rushed and forced to use the trailer as the opening memory. The previous 3 AC games always had in-game scenes and didn't use any rendered cutscenes other than The Truth video in AC2, which still didn't feel out of place like the trailer in this game and the closing cinematic. It just really took me out of the moment, and contributed to (among other things) the awkwardness of the story's opening in this game.

You can also tell it wasn't supposed to be used this way, because when you see Ezio traveling in the video, you can see him on a boat sailing to Constantinople holding Niccolˇ Polo's journal (The Secret Crusade). He had no clue he needed to go to Constantinople until after the initial trip to Masyaf, and he didn't find that book until he killed Leandros. So you can tell this video was designed as a trailer by the way it showed some of the different travel montages, but was then just dropped in as the first memory instead of having it done as a proper gameplay mission. And they didn't even edit out the sailing to Constantinople part.

kriegerdesgottes
12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
It felt rushed and forced to use the trailer as the opening memory. The previous 3 AC games always had in-game scenes and didn't use any rendered cutscenes other than The Truth video in AC2, which still didn't feel out of place like the trailer in this game and the closing cinematic. It just really took me out of the moment, and contributed to (among other things) the awkwardness of the story's opening in this game.

You can also tell it wasn't supposed to be used this way, because when you see Ezio traveling in the video, you can see him on a boat sailing to Constantinople holding Niccolˇ Polo's journal (The Secret Crusade). He had no clue he needed to go to Constantinople until after the initial trip to Masyaf, and he didn't find that book until he killed Leandros. So you can tell this video was designed as a trailer by the way it showed some of the different travel montages, but was then just dropped in as the first memory instead of having it done as a proper gameplay mission. And they didn't even edit out the sailing to Constantinople part.

Holy crap you're right. I didn't even think about of all that but you are totally right. That's way worse. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

naran6142
12-01-2011, 08:16 PM

wow they really messed up didn't they...

i think it would have been a lot better if we got to play that mission

AssassinTrio
12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
When I first played sequence 1, I thought it was pretty fast paced, but once I got into later sequences, it then made the first one look like crap. And yes, Ezio's eyes look totally different. In fact, his whole face does, and not because he's old.

I thought that we would be playing as Ezio fighting off all the ottomans in Masyaf like in the trailer. After all, Amancio did say that we would start off the game in action, and from what I saw, it wasn't really starting off with action. Brotherhood started off with action, not Revelations.

I think to be honest the best mission in the game would have been the first one if they added the fighting mission from the trailer in sequence 1 with him entering Masyaf and walking up to the tower and getting hit with the arrow.

ace3001
12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

Holy crap you're right. I didn't even think about of all that but you are totally right. That's way worse. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me neither. Now only realized this on seeing his post. That's... just terrible. They probably changed the story mid way (swapping first Masyaf key with Leandros to book and all) and then forgot that the trailer had Ezio carrying the book when they added it in as a memory.

twenty_glyphs
12-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
Me neither. Now only realized this on seeing his post. That's... just terrible. They probably changed the story mid way (swapping first Masyaf key with Leandros to book and all) and then forgot that the trailer had Ezio carrying the book when they added it in as a memory.

I don't think they changed the story like that. They said ever since May that Ezio would get to Masyaf and then find out about the keys in Constantinople, so simply even showing him already sailing to Constantinople violated the story at the beginning of the game. I think the demo showing Ezio getting the seal from Leandros instead of the journal was just a custom demo, since it also had bombs in the mission that weren't available yet in the game. I think they just wanted to show an Alta´r memory as well, so swapped out the book with a seal. I thought it was weird seeing Ezio get a seal that early in the game, since the developers had been saying since May as well that Ezio had to find 4 seals in the city and track down who the Templars were to find the fifth seal, which is how the final game was.

More likely the first memory just wasn't going to come together the way they wanted to in time, so they came up with the idea to use the trailer instead since it had gotten so much positive reaction. Unfortunatey it just came off as cheap. Brotherhood's first memory was so much better, and all gameplay. I loved that it picked up right where AC2 left off in the Vault.

Hopefully this was the last game that will be made in a year. They've made it sound like they're getting the framework in place so at least two full, separate teams will be able to work simultaneously on different games. Then each team could be dedicated to the game for 2 full years. I still say that Brotherhood came off well because pieces of it were actually cut from AC2 and then reused, saving development time. Revelations tried to do so much more and had to start fresh on things like location research. You can really tell the short timeline hurt the final product.

RzaRecta357
12-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Wasn't he sailing to Masyaf reading the codex? Also, in the video he is captured and they take his bracers but we don't get the full video in the game.

Thus why you need to retrieve them from the table.

Pretty sure it was meant to be this way as the writer for this game wanted it to be incorporated for once.

Else he lied and sad that to cover it up when the real fact was they wanted to rush job that part.

goclo822
12-02-2011, 02:29 AM
I wasn't totally bothered by it since I loved the fact that we got an actual high quality cut scene in the game but I did feel a bit gipped. I'm usually totally spoiler free so it annoyed me that by watching the trailer, I already knew the beginning of the game without knowing it. I liked in the past games that their trailers were separate from what we saw in the game but still hinted at the content of the gameplay. I think it would have been really cool to play Ezio getting to Masyaf, walking through it, fighting all those guys and then getting captured. I loved that we got all that with the great graphics, especially that fight scene but it would have been fun to play through it. Even if they just used the part during the hanging from the trailer with the rest as actual gameplay, that would have been ok.

More likely the first memory just wasn't going to come together the way they wanted to in time, so they came up with the idea to use the trailer instead since it had gotten so much positive reaction. Unfortunatey it just came off as cheap. Brotherhood's first memory was so much better, and all gameplay. I loved that it picked up right where AC2 left off in the Vault.

Hopefully this was the last game that will be made in a year. They've made it sound like they're getting the framework in place so at least two full, separate teams will be able to work simultaneously on different games. Then each team could be dedicated to the game for 2 full years. I still say that Brotherhood came off well because pieces of it were actually cut from AC2 and then reused, saving development time. Revelations tried to do so much more and had to start fresh on things like location research. You can really tell the short timeline hurt the final product.
Yeah I think that the time-crunch was definitely the problem. Plus from the looks of things, I think they were also planning and possibly working on AC3 while making Revelations, seeing as the games are so closely connected and they have so much that will need to be done with AC3 (new ancestor, possible modern day setting, lots of Desmond playtime, etc). I think they just needed more time to develop it.

Hopefully that's their excuse anyway and hopefully AC3 will make up for it with it's awesomeness. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Inorganic9_2
12-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Don't forget that Ezio kills Leandros with his right hidden blade...uh....that one's broken! (and it's the left one which gets broken in the trailer, I think)