PDA

View Full Version : out of fuel landings

texhill88
07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I have tried to land my plane a few times when I run out of fuel or have a damaged engine instead of parachuting out while flying, i would like to save my plane from becoming a pile of wrekage.
But every time i try to land it ends up in dasaster can anyone give me some help?

texhill88
07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I have tried to land my plane a few times when I run out of fuel or have a damaged engine instead of parachuting out while flying, i would like to save my plane from becoming a pile of wrekage.
But every time i try to land it ends up in dasaster can anyone give me some help?

Manu-6S
07-24-2007, 11:16 AM
In general you should land always in the same way, so that if some problem occurs you can still glide to the airfield... of course if you are without engine you must convert altitude in speed.. if you are too fast use the rudder to lose energy.

But the better thing is that you explain to us how you land, so we can correct your mistakes.

AKA_Luke
07-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Use your best glide speed, no faster, no slower. Don't try to prolong the glide by pulling back on the stick; it doesn't work that way. Find a nice place to land, and depending on how much excess altitude/airspeed you have, don't use flaps unless you absolutely need to bleed the speed. Be gentle.

texhill88
07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I find a flat open area lower the landing gear and set the flaps to landing and try so slow down to land.

jimDG
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I always land with engine(s) on idle.
It roughly goes as this - I fly at 500km/h, 1-2 km away from strip I cut the power, deploy full flaps, than gear at 300km, and land. If I deem that I dont have enough height or speed I delay deploying the flaps or gear. If I have too much speed or height I make a few left and right bank turns in quick succession to kill some speed.

Landing with damage is the same, unless it's elevator damage. Ailerons and rudder are complementary, so it doesn't matter if one of those is shot up.

Elevator damage can be compensated for with flaps. Deploy flaps to go up, release flaps to go down, and always bear in mind that the aircraft will fully respond up to 30 sec _after_ the action - think ahead in the flight path (always landing with power on idle helps learning to think ahead in the flight path http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Throttle can also be used for this trick - in this case - deploy full flaps, apply power to go up and cut power to go down. Minus side of the power approach is that a/c's tend to also bank (torque effects) between changes of power.

Gear is deployed in the last possible moment, and only if things are going ok (otherwise belly land). Flying with gear down produces to much of a downward pointing force to be compensated easily by either flaps or throttle.

foxyboy1964
07-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Dont use the landing gear unless you are landing on an airfield or a road. Also, as soon as you "belly down" take your hand off the stick and if you have to steer use the rudder.

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Practice on runways by climbing out to 2k altitude or so and cutting your engine. Practice landing on the runway deadstick a few times and then progress to other areas.

As already advised, even apparently smooth even ground can oftentimes be unsuitable for landings.

If an airfield is unavailable, go for roads, railroad tracks or beaches.

TB

na85
07-24-2007, 12:20 PM
If the map has water (pacific theater) I usually ditch in the shallows just a few feet off shore.

MrKilroy
07-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Here is one from one of our missions. I got shot up by some B-24s. (Click to watch)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/mrkilroy/Missions/th_1d891196.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/mrkilroy/Missions/?action=view&current=1d891196.flv)

triad773
07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Very nice! Especially with the oil on the windscreen.

I did something similar in a Hurri- the rest of the squad was just making it back (it was an old Malta campaign) so I went for the altitude as a precaution- it paid off as I ran out of fuel 1000 feet over the home base and was last in the landing pattern. There's a track I wish I'd saved http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif